• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Truro, Dorchester, Yeovil, Viking, Forest Green Rovers, Torquay, Ipswich, Rotherham, Barnsley, Wigan is equally unimpressive than Smith's history yet Kieffer Moore has just had a great season and is doing alright at the moment in the Euros. He has scored 107 goals in 314 games to date, 1:3, managing 10 in 36 games for Wigan when they went down.

Granted Smiths ratio to date is more like 1:4 but Warnock wanted Moore last season and I don't think any of us were particularly excited by the thought of a big lump from a relegated side, albeit they had points deducted, but Wigan wasn't exactly the pedigree we were all hoping for.

Moore wanted to be in Wales which is why we lost out (that and Cardiff could probably offer him a better deal). Smith is from Wallsend so Boro is probably about as close as he could get to going home (assuming he wants that) plus of course Steve Bruce isn't going to nip in with a late bid or indeed Sunderland don't push the boat out for him to replace Wyke. Smith is also a year older than Moore but he is what we can afford and at that cheap price point there are not many around to pick from. If he gets thirteen or fourteen goals that would be a result I suppose but I doubt it would propel us to the Premiership.

Overall, Smith is probably the closest thing to Moore but at two inches shorter at 6ft 3", a year older and a 1:4 rather than a 1:3 ratio looks to be a lesser version but he does at least fit the Warnock template. Putting aside how we would like to play there is no point in signing players that don't fit "the system" plus in fairness to Warnock he seems able in a lot of cases to squeeze a little bit more out of some players. Let's just hope that he is a late bloomer although like yourself I'm not particularly enamoured. Traditionally our history with Strikers isn't great (a Striker's graveyard is probably more apt) so maybe this one will buck the trend when we least expect it.

Moore's moves have almost always been upwards haven't they?  I think with the exception of Yeovil to Forest Green?  That's someone who started in non-league and worked their way up.  Smith's career path hasn't been the same.  He's bounced around the bottom two divisions without ever settling anywhere really until Rotherham.

Their goal records aren't really similar either.  There is actually a direct comparison to be made as they both played for Rotherham in the 17/18 season.  Moore scored 13 goals in 22 games at 1 goal every 131 mins.  Smith scored 6 goals in 20 games at 1 goal every 261 mins.  Same team, same season, quite different records.

At League One level, Moore scored a goal every 2.5 games, Smith was every 4.2.  That's quite a big difference.  Moore's Championship stats are weakened by virtue of him having stepped up from Non-League to Championship early in his career when he clearly wasn't ready, which is worth taking into account as well, but even if you disregard it, Moore's record is still better by some distance.  Smith's career record isn't significantly different at any level he's played at - League Two 3.5 games per goal, League One 4.2 games per goal, Championship 3.83 games per goal.  I said the following in my earlier post:  He's a unit so he will always be able to play up to a certain level or contribute something but he'll struggle to ever go beyond that.  That record is what I'm referring to.  That to me is where he will top out, at any level he would score about 1 in 4 just by virtue of being a big bugger but I'm not sure there is anything else after that.  He would have to raise his game for him to be of real use to us I think.

In terms of Moore, it's also worth mentioning that whilst he had a good season, Cardiff didn't.  They finished below where they finished the year before, they won fewer points, scored fewer goals overall, and this is despite their defensive record improving.  If the idea of the big target man is that they somehow bring other people into the game then the evidence suggests that it didn't work for Moore at Cardiff.  I actually don't know what you can read into it but it's something to consider.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Riverside94 said:

Would people be happy if we signed better wingers and midfielders who scored but a striker who didn’t score many but was pivotal in assisting goals for the others?

I think people would be generally happy if the team functioned as a unit and succeeded, yes. Until it does one or both of those things, there will always be critics. Whilst we continue to run our club as a short term project season on season, that success should be judged in the short-term, too. Last season was a failure, not even troubling the play-offs by the end, effectively 14 points off. So as with last season, this season will be a failure unless we actually succeed and we're a long way from the goal we're aiming for going on last season.

Our transfer business is uncomfortably important, it basically involves creating a new attack. Then Warnock has to knit that all together into a promotion charge. And if that doesn't work, any risks we take this summer could be given to someone new who doesn't want them, someone like Smith might work for Warnock but God knows if they're suitable for the next manager and whilst Warnock won't commit to a longer contract, we constantly have to worry about what comes after him, will they be good enough, will they be able to use the tools Warnock leaves to them. The very fact Warnock is in charge right now creates plenty more potential issues as a team wanting to get back to the Premier League.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Riverside94 said:

Would people be happy if we signed better wingers and midfielders who scored but a striker who didn’t score many but was pivotal in assisting goals for the others?

We need to add some goals one way or another.  Arguably, we need to add some in midfield and attack, rather than either/or.  If some of them can come from players already here then that would be a help, and I think some of them probably can.

1 hour ago, Robin Johnson said:

Anyone know what happened to our interest in the Luton Town gadge? Looked like it was happening now? Silence!

Yeah all gone quiet on this guy, maybe were waiting to get Bolasie in too and announce a double Congolese capture

1 hour ago, Robin Johnson said:

Anyone know what happened to our interest in the Luton Town gadge? Looked like it was happening now? Silence!

Luton have signed two midfielders this week so that might be an indication he's turned down their offer.  Doesn't necessarily mean he'd be coming here though.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""