• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Johnmfc81 said:

If our finances are as bad as ppl are claiming, then I think its a little unfair to put this on warnock. He will of been told how much he can spend, so has obviously had to set his targets accordingly, especially as we need so many players. We probably just can't afford the "better" players.   

If our finances are a bad as people are claiming, we need to change strategy. Start buying younger players that might have some sell on value. Wasting more and more money on wages for players, who are 29+, that add nothing to the club and who will cripple the club in years to come when we can’t get them off the books isn’t going to improve our current predicament. But it seems it’s what Warnock is intent on doing. Seriously, it’s not bloody rocket science. Just takes a little bit of creativity. But creativity seems to have been non existent at the Riverside for the past 10 years (on and off the pitch). 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Smogzilla said:

The work permit rules were altered recently, it is easier to sign players from South America than before. The fact he's played a couple of times for Flamengo's 1st team probably helps his case.

That’s true to an extend. Some of the South American leagues have been bumped up the points ladder as well as the copa libertadores making it easier for the big clubs to sign the biggest talent. But a player still has to acquire 15 points (I think it is) and that’s given through first team games, titles, international club games and cap. I can in no way imagine this guy earning any sorts of point let alone the minimum requirements. We won’t be signing him unless he has a British grandparent. 

11 hours ago, J.T. said:

If our finances are a bad as people are claiming, we need to change strategy. Start buying younger players that might have some sell on value. Wasting more and more money on wages for players, who are 29+, that add nothing to the club and who will cripple the club in years to come when we can’t get them off the books isn’t going to improve our current predicament. But it seems it’s what Warnock is intent on doing. Seriously, it’s not bloody rocket science. Just takes a little bit of creativity. But creativity seems to have been non existent at the Riverside for the past 10 years (on and off the pitch). 

You could argue our issues last year stemmed from a lack of experience though, it makes sense from a recruitment side but we would be just as inconsistent

• Like 1
11 hours ago, J.T. said:

see what you’re saying but in this case I don’t think so. For example if we sign Hoilett for two years, we have two years of his wages to pay and then he goes for nothing but we have paid nothing and gained two years of him playing for us. So free signings in this age bracket I think will be beneficial. Add to that we have the likes of Bola, Dijksteel, Spence, Fry, Tav which are all young and can be sold at a profit hopefully so we have got younger players with sell on but you can’t win anything with kids 😆 jokes aside though we did need more leaders and experience at times last season so although we do need players we can make profit on we also need players that are ready now.

26 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

You could argue our issues last year stemmed from a lack of experience though, it makes sense from a recruitment side but we would be just as inconsistent

Could you argue that? I never once thought that experience was what was holding us back... we have plenty of experience... Bettinelli, Hall, McNair, Saville, Morsy, Howson, Britt, Fletcher, Marvin Johnson, Bolasie, Kebano, etc. are all very experienced players at this level...

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Could you argue that? I never once thought that experience was what was holding us back... we have plenty of experience... Bettinelli, Hall, McNair, Saville, Morsy, Howson, Britt, Fletcher, Marvin Johnson, Bolasie, Kebano, etc. are all very experienced players at this level...

Maybe experience is wrong word.. consistent, reliable, dependable, know what you’re going to get 

9 minutes ago, Riverside94 said:

see what you’re saying but in this case I don’t think so. For example if we sign Hoilett for two years, we have two years of his wages to pay and then he goes for nothing but we have paid nothing and gained two years of him playing for us. So free signings in this age bracket I think will be beneficial. Add to that we have the likes of Bola, Dijksteel, Spence, Fry, Tav which are all young and can be sold at a profit hopefully so we have got younger players with sell on but you can’t win anything with kids 😆 jokes aside though we did need more leaders and experience at times last season so although we do need players we can make profit on we also need players that are ready now.

You talk about 2 years of wages as if it’s nothing. Even considering Hoilett was coming in on a basic £10k/week (although I’d be surprised if it was that low), that’s still over £1 million over 2 years. Therefore, unless he fires us to promotion (which looks highly unlikely given his recent form) then we are accepting a £1 million loss as soon as we sign him. That’s just bad business. And it’s the type of business that has got us into this debt. Short term planning at its finest. 

4 minutes ago, Riverside94 said:

Maybe experience is wrong word.. consistent, reliable, dependable, know what you’re going to get 

Are you claiming that Hoilett is consistent, reliable and dependable? Because I know a lot of Cardiff City fans who would beg to differ. 

18 minutes ago, J.T. said:

You talk about 2 years of wages as if it’s nothing. Even considering Hoilett was coming in on a basic £10k/week (although I’d be surprised if it was that low), that’s still over £1 million over 2 years. Therefore, unless he fires us to promotion (which looks highly unlikely given his recent form) then we are accepting a £1 million loss as soon as we sign him. That’s just bad business. And it’s the type of business that has got us into this debt. Short term planning at its finest. 

It’s not 1 million loss though is it. We need someone in that position so effectively he would  cost us a million for example.  you could spend a million on a league 1 player plus wages and him turn out to be no good or can’t step up.. and have him on the books a lot longer. which is better? I’d argue spending 7-8 million on a Saville is worse business as we will never get that back. I’m saying be smarter when signing players in that age bracket e.g. ‘free transfers’ is surely a more sensible approach?

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Are you claiming that Hoilett is consistent, reliable and dependable? Because I know a lot of Cardiff City fans who would beg to differ. 

No, just used him as an example as he is apparently signing. Just think we can’t sign all young, potential gambles we also need players we can rely on.

12 hours ago, J.T. said:

Sadly we're not going to do that while Warnock is in charge. He's probably only here for next season and will continue to try to bring in the kind of players he likes, regardless of how it may affect the club after he's gone.

The club is also unlikely to change its philosophy as long as Gibson clings to the idea that big-money splurges are the only way to get Boro back into the PL.

Instead of coming out with comments about smashing the league, I'd much rather he made a pre-season statement along the lines that the club is going to undergo a complete change from the bottom up, in terms of playing philosophy, management and recruitment style.

That he's building a management team that can draw up a roadmap for the club for the next 3+ years ahead and that we should be prepared to take a couple of backward steps in order to make steady progress.

As you said, we've been trying to do things his way for the last decade or more and got lucky once. Even then the club was hopelessly (and hilariously) unprepared to compete in the PL.

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""