oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

12 minutes ago, Riverside94 said:

Yea I see what your saying. It’s more no one knows if he’s any good (seems like he is when you read up but doesn’t guarantee he will adapt to the league or life abroad) yet people are going crazy saying we MUST sign him. Yet when it’s a league 1 striker no one knows much about its wtf are we doing

The point being that this lad is head and shoulders above anything you will find in L1 though.

The excitement around signing him is because we as Boro fans were expecting a transfer window of signing freebies and cheap players and we now look like signing a player who has the potential to be one of the best player in the Championship 

• Like 3
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, mj south said:

The point being that this lad is head and shoulders above anything you will find in L1 though.

The excitement around signing him is because we as Boro fans were expecting a transfer window of signing freebies and cheap players and we now look like signing a player who has the potential to be one of the best player in the Championship 

Just can’t please some people lol 

23 minutes ago, Riverside94 said:

Yea I see what your saying. It’s more no one knows if he’s any good (seems like he is when you read up but doesn’t guarantee he will adapt to the league or life abroad) yet people are going crazy saying we MUST sign him. Yet when it’s a league 1 striker no one knows much about its wtf are we doing

But there isn't a L1 striker we don't know about - full stats for anyone in L1 are all over the internet and we know the quality of L1 teams.  And the strikers we are linked to, L1 or otherwise, are all of a similar type - big blokes to be used as battering rams. Nothing there to be excited by.

A random South American midfielder?  The sheer lack of information, relatively, about him means we don't immediately know what he is, so it stirs the imagination a bit. He could be the next Juninho.  Or the next De Pena.  Our L1 striker options all appear to be the next Gestede, at best - we're not looking to pay out for the next Toney.

Plus it's at least a change in recruitment from our largely terrible (buy high price Championship players, give away for free) system of late.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, J.T. said:

Got to love the difference that signing a player who has some of the worst statistics in the league, and another, who was average at his best and is now 34, can do for the mood of this board. 

Let’s face it, we have signed 4 poor Championship players. 

And as much as I would love it to be true, I am nearly certain that this Payero thing is an agent leaking an interest from us to get a deal at a bigger club. I really can’t see him ending up here. 

And of the other players linked, they are all average, at best. 

I apologise for the pessimism but I just don’t get the positivity with the signings we have been made and the players linked. Payero and Maja aside (which I would say are both hugely unlikely) the rest of those linked are exactly the types of players I was worried Warnock would fill the squad with. 

This is why I largely ignore transfer windows and never get too hyped or disappointed with who we sign.

The fact is, we won't know whether they are any good until we actually see them in action. They may be as poor as we fear...but they could also surprise us.

Realistically, the club is in a position where we can only sign players that go under the radar of bigger / better off clubs, so the business we've done so far and are looking to do, doesn't surprise me at all.

If our new signings do work out, we wouldn't be the first club to sign un-rated players and turn them into decent-looking footballers.

Mind you, that would be the total opposite of what we normally do!

The first article claims that the guaranteed fee is $6.5m (£4.7m) with 10% sell on and other add ons, it's by no means cheap but if we're trying to be smart with our money that wouldn't get you much from other Championship or Prem clubs in this market.

3 minutes ago, sambaDTR said:

The Holgate link translation... 

3AD4FB60-93D1-4E3D-84E7-A6017D55435E.png

Thanks for this!

I'm curious about the transfer fee though. Would that be $8m US dollars? If so that equates to around £5.8m - a lot of dough to splash on 1 player. Especially when we've apparently been haggling over much smaller fees for other players.

Do you suppose this is an indicator Gibson & Warnock expect to make a genuine promotion push this season?

4 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Thanks for this!

I'm curious about the transfer fee though. Would that be $8m US dollars? If so that equates to around £5.8m - a lot of dough to splash on 1 player. Especially when we've apparently been haggling over much smaller fees for other players.

Do you suppose this is an indicator Gibson & Warnock expect to make a genuine promotion push this season?

I know we’ve discussed this before and you’ve been of the opinion that Warnock is here to steady the ship, keep us midtable, and talk of a promotion push is just that. 

But as I’ve maintained, I can’t else grasp why Warnock would be here if we weren’t going to have a genuine push for promotion and if Gibson wasn’t going to back him at least somewhat in the market (although I’d never have guessed he’d be willing to part with 6 mill for an Argentinian youth prospect - not that I’m complaining). 

All the noise coming out the club is that we’re going for promotion. Our movements in the transfer market are beginning to back that up. Contrast that with when Woodgate took charge and Gibson himself stressed the need for patience, as we let go of some high earners and signed three unproven younger players. I’m taking the club at its word: we’re going for promotion and Warnock should be judged accordingly. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

The first article claims that the guaranteed fee is $6.5m (£4.7m) with 10% sell on and other add ons, it's by no means cheap but if we're trying to be smart with our money that wouldn't get you much from other Championship or Prem clubs in this market.

And also, "guaranteed" doesn't mean all at once. Could still be in instalments

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

And also, "guaranteed" doesn't mean all at once. Could still be in instalments

Figures also tend to get inflated on the Sellers side when being reported, so they'll include all bonuses, installments and clauses etc. 

11 minutes ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

I know we’ve discussed this before and you’ve been of the opinion that Warnock is here to steady the ship, keep us midtable, and talk of a promotion push is just that. 

But as I’ve maintained, I can’t else grasp why Warnock would be here if we weren’t going to have a genuine push for promotion and if Gibson wasn’t going to back him at least somewhat in the market (although I’d never have guessed he’d be willing to part with 6 mill for an Argentinian youth prospect - not that I’m complaining). 

All the noise coming out the club is that we’re going for promotion. Our movements in the transfer market are beginning to back that up. Contrast that with when Woodgate took charge and Gibson himself stressed the need for patience, as we let go of some high earners and signed three unproven younger players. I’m taking the club at its word: we’re going for promotion and Warnock should be judged accordingly. 

Like I've said before, I was basing my opinion on our performances last season and the assumption the club's transfer dealings would be pretty limited, either in terms of money or players coming in.

Sure, Warnock has a track record of getting clubs promoted, but he did that with Cardiff by being able to make huge changes to the squad. He won't be doing that here.

As it is, we still have no idea how our signings are going to perform and 1 fairly expensive signing is far from being an outright declaration of intent. We don't know how Payero will adapt to living in a totally different environment, for one thing.

4 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Like I've said before, I was basing my opinion on our performances last season and the assumption the club's transfer dealings would be pretty limited, either in terms of money or players coming in.

Sure, Warnock has a track record of getting clubs promoted, but he did that with Cardiff by being able to make huge changes to the squad. He won't be doing that here.

As it is, we still have no idea how our signings are going to perform and 1 fairly expensive signing is far from being an outright declaration of intent. We don't know how Payero will adapt to living in a totally different environment, for one thing.

Um he is making big changes to the squad like he did at Cardiff there will probably be 9-10 new players 

9 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

As it stands, I have little faith we will get promoted. We were poor over the second half of the season despite signing players in January that clearly aimed to solidify our place in the playoffs, and I also expected our transfer business this summer to be limited. So far, our actual signings have been pretty unspectacular, although there are indications of more ambitious business to come. 

Having said all of that, it doesn’t mean the club aren’t genuinely aiming for promotion. It doesn’t mean that’s not Gibson’s expectation and it doesn’t mean Warnock isn’t backing himself. So if that’s the message the club want to give out, I’ll judge our coming season to that standard. 

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""