oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

1 minute ago, Mr_Maz said:

how? we finished mid table last year, and the players coming in are better than those that have left - (excl Bolasie)

The players coming in are all coming from teams that finished worse off than us last season, a 34 year old utility player who barely played a minute aside. Some of those players weve signed or are looking at weren't first choice for those teams. 

I fail to see how we've been improved by any of the signings (or indeed rumoured signings) so far. Possible exceptions for the south Americans but that's a roll of the dice. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

Just now, Humpty said:

As I said, if we were seriously interested we would’ve been willing.

Dude.

We can be seriously interested AND bow out when we decided it was getting too expensive, they're not mutually exclusive. If we're running to a wage budget, the wage Luton offered may have been above what we decided was acceptable, however seriously interested we were.

Not that you'll see this of course.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

The players coming in are all coming from teams that finished worse off than us last season, a 34 year old utility player who barely played a minute aside. Some of those players weve signed or are looking at weren't first choice for those teams. 

I fail to see how we've been improved by any of the signings (or indeed rumoured signings) so far. Possible exceptions for the south Americans but that's a roll of the dice. 

a 34 yr old utitlity player coming in as BACKUP and ADDING experience 

players who came from teams below us but performed better in those teams than the players who played for us

• Like 1
Just now, Mr_Maz said:

a 34 yr old utitlity player coming in as BACKUP and ADDING experience 

players who came from teams below us but performed better in those teams than the players who played for us

Ameobi didn't perform better than Johnson or bolasie, arguably kebano, last season. 

Lumley barely kicked a ball last season. 

Ikpeazu scored one more goal than Britt last season with a fair bit more football played. 

Paterson couldn't get in the Bristol team, hoilett couldn't get in the cardiff side, bamba has been out for 2 years and Harris didn't score a goal in 40 games for Sheffield Wednesday. 

It's just grim whatever way you want to spin it. 

I'm not saying they'll be bad signings, but how many teams can you think of that signed all their players from lesser teams that went on to get promoted?

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Since when was the position of the team you buy them from an indicator of an individual's ability? Such a ridiculously simplistic take

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
4 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

It's just grim whatever way you want to spin it. 

I'm not saying they'll be bad signings, but how many teams can you think of that signed all their players from lesser teams that went on to get promoted?

70773825-2E60-4AEB-BD57-08B47800EDD5.thumb.jpeg.cd9c1d62453edf0b81ef25af3b333a89.jpeg

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

how? we finished mid table last year, and the players coming in are better than those that have left - (excl Bolasie)

Are they?

Just now, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Since when was the position of the team you buy them from an indicator of an individual's ability? Such a ridiculously simplistic take

It's not. I never said that it was. There's a lot more to it, but if you're 27+ and you've never played at a higher level than a struggling championship side, chances are more likely than not that that is your level. There are obviously exceptions. But when all your players are like that, then it's more likely that we'll end up with a very limited squad. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

I'd say the starting team is

Lumley

Bola

Fry

Hall

Dijksteel

Morsy

McNair

Tavernier

LW

Ikpeazu

Watmore

Possibly need 2-3 more starters, incase McNair is used as CB.

Missed Ameobi and Payero off.

As well as Muniz.

2 hours ago, Mr_Maz said:

I personnally don't understand Boro "supporters" like JT

This is Boro, we have no god given right to be an attractive football team, as long as the players give 100% - which is the kind of team NW is putting together, then they've filled by core requirements as a fan.  Anything else is a much welcome bonus.

Am I not allowed to express a disapproval about the direction the club is going without being referred to as a “supporter”?

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t remember saying that we had a god given right to play attractive football. Nor anything even similar. I do believe, however, that, based on recent evidence, it would be better for the club’s future if we tried to play a more modern and expansive brand of football. Look around at the club’s similar in stature and budget to ourselves who have achieved success in the last 5 years. None have done it by playing long ball football. Leeds, Brentford, Norwich, Wolves, Aston Villa, etc. were all in very similar positions to ourselves 5 years ago. But whilst we have stagnated, playing outdated football under managers like Pulis and Warnock, these clubs have appointed progressive managers and are now streets ahead of where we are. I can only really think of Burnley who have managed success by playing a more direct style of football. Am I not a proper supporter for wanting us to try to do the same?

• Like 2
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""