oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

29 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

I am not as optimistic as @Blanco so I will go with a top two finish!

I can’t believe that the pessimists have won you over 😮

• Haha 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

You mean the "realists" if you ask them, that is ... 😉

Of course, how could I mix that one up 🤣

• Haha 1
57 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

https://colunadofla.com/2021/07/fulham-entra-na-briga-por-rodrigo-muniz-com-proposta-que-pode-chegar-na-casa-dos-r60-milhoes/

Fulham have apparently offered to loan to buy Muniz for 9 million euros which beats our proposal and Marco Silva is apparently reaching out to Muniz selling him the idea that he could emulate Richarlison. Always seemed a complicated, expensive, long shot I wonder if we have any other South American irons in the fire...

It looks like the initial loan amount is quite similar to what we offered. 

7 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Nah I don't think anyone would say that. The only possible reason for hiring Warnock (past the initial 8 games) was to get promoted. Because if we don't, none of it makes any sense at all. It will have just been a wasted couple of years, having to start from scratch again at the end. Id say it's his only mandate. 

What you will hear is how some think that's completely misplaced faith, but that's a different story. The expectation has to be promotion under this regime, anything else is abject failure. 

Yeah I'd agree that was his mandate, not sure he or even the club realised quite how abject our squad was though

I think a fair few always expected him to fail mind, albeit more because of a complete turn off to his style and methods than anything else

4-3-3 makes the most sense. I imagine that it will be the most effective when we're playing at home or against teams that we're wanting to be on the front foot. Assuming Crooks and Payero sign, we're not far away from putting out a very good looking starting 11 to play in Warnock's style like CT's team above. We still need at least: a GK, CB, LB, winger and 2 strikers. More for strength in depth, certainly for the defensive areas. On the wings and strike we're going to need some good quality coming through the door though. The vast majority of the players signed (or about to sign) seem to have most of the attributes of being tall, strong, aggressive and brave, which is really going to help us play the style Warnock wants, regardless of the formation. That's the biggest positive of the window so far.

It's also notable that we have a lot of flexible players which makes the transition between the 4-3-3 and 3-5-2 formations pretty straightforward. McNair can play CB or CM. Tavernier can play CM or on the wing (usually RW). Crooks can play CM or even in strike if needs must (especially if we're chasing a game and pumping the ball into the box). Bola can play LB and LWB to a similarly good standard. Watmore can play on the wing or in strike, especially playing off a targetman. Opposition managers will look at our lineup and still struggle to know how we're going to play. So it will probably benefit us to play both 4-3-3 and a 3-5-2 at times. Even mid-game, without using any substitutions, we could change from a 4-3-3 to a 3-5-2 as it would only take is changing McNair from CM to CB, Watmore from LW to ST, Tavernier from RW back to CM. So whilst we should focus on building a team to play 4-3-3, I'm sure Warnock will know that he can use this flexibility to our advantage to confuse opposition managers or change to plan B if it's clear that plan A isn't working as planned.

Edited by p_mards
  • Like 1
40 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Depends who you ask, some will say by hiring Warnock we may as well be

I'd say it's the opposite.  Not much point in him being here unless we're aiming for top 6.  I definitely think we'll finish ahead of where we finished last season.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Do people see Tav as a RW or a CM? I wouldn’t be against having him on the wing for this season tbh. Main reason is because our current wide options are pretty *** atm (could change). 

I think he’s better as a right winger who cuts inside

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I'd say it's the opposite.  Not much point in him being here unless we're aiming for top 6.  I definitely think we'll finish ahead of where we finished last season.

I do agree, he is very much a promotion hail Mary option which confuses me a bit when people are surprised by our squad or the way we play under Warnock.

I do think it could be argued there was an element of pragmatism to his appointment too, in realising we had a squad suited more to a Pulis/Warnock manager so let's give him a couple of seasons and watch some of our failed big players leave and build up some reserves in the process.

I do see the other side of the argument that it would feel like a waste of two years mind

13 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Is that because of the make up of the squad that you think that? Or do you think it's just because Warnock has had longer to get his methods across?

Just now, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I do agree, he is very much a promotion hail Mary option which confuses me a bit when people are surprised by our squad or the way we play under Warnock.

I do think it could be argued there was an element of pragmatism to his appointment too, in realising we had a squad suited more to a Pulis/Warnock manager so let's give him a couple of seasons and watch some of our failed big players leave and build up some reserves in the process.

I do see the other side of the argument that it would feel like a waste of two years mind

The issue was a lot of those players who seemed to suit that approach soon left, were injured or frankly just gave up, i.e. Ayala, Clayton, Friend, Shotton etc.

Fletcher and Britt in his initial 8 game spell likely gave false hope too

11 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

I think he’s better as a right winger who cuts inside

And I think he's better as a left winger, or being at the point of a midfield 3. So nice to have someone who can clearly play so effectively in a number of positions! Excited to see how he develops with hopefully a full season injury free.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Tom said:

Is that because of the make up of the squad that you think that? Or do you think it's just because Warnock has had longer to get his methods across?

The former, mate.  I don't think Warnock struggled to get his ideas across last season.  We just didn't have the players to do it effectively enough, and Warnock was either unable or unwilling to adapt.  This summer we were always going to bring in players more suited to what he wants so to me it's obvious that we'll end up a more effective side as a result.  I'd be more than surprised if we didn't finish above 10th this season, I think I'd be shocked, that's how strongly I feel I guess.

• Like 5
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""