oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread

23 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Or maybe they could sign a load of overpaid Latin types who get injured easily, sulk and disrupt dressing rooms and couldn't give a stuff as their agent will have an exit strategy lined up before the ink has dried on the contract.

Because they are exclusively Latin character traits - perhaps they should sign more Mersons and Tomlins.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Haven’t posted much as I got the person in trouble with the club.   but Brazilian lad is in talks still With the club all about agreeing fee but he’s definitely interested.  Spence looks Lik

Can we buy Peterboroughs scouting team instead?

Posted Images

1 minute ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Because they are exclusively Latin character traits - perhaps they should sign more Mersons and Tomlins.

It was a tongue in cheek dig at our Premiership "visit" versus how Norwich and their long game strategy prevailed. I'd have another Merson or even a Ramirez back in a heartbeat if they propelled us to promotion.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Borodane said:

Any prem team that can’t buy cheaper on the continent due to brexit and relegated teams who also cannot buy uncapped players on the cheap. Teams like Newcastle, burnley, Brighton etc. 

But he either doesn't suit them or they already have better.  McNair isn't even our best defender so why would all of these clubs want him?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

But he either doesn't suit them or they already have better.  McNair isn't even our best defender so why would all of these clubs want him?

We had Negredo and bought Bamford and Gestede. Some clubs spend money for the sake of it. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

James Collins going Cardiff surely can’t be another summer of missing out on players. Article also claims he was one of our top targets 😢

11 minutes ago, Donnyboro said:

James Collins going Cardiff surely can’t be another summer of missing out on players. Article also claims he was one of our top targets 😢

I'm guessing that it is down to personal terms or money as we would bluntly describe it. It's probably his last decent contract with the age he is at.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

The summer signings will be as successful as the sale of season tickets.. The team will be fitted out with a set of retreads which while looking the part will hardly perform and likely deflate under pressure. Expectations may be high but they will be as appealing as a Reliant Robin driven in wet blustery conditions, unreliable,  unpredictable and hardly much fun. 

Edited by sanddancer
  • Haha 2
40 minutes ago, Donnyboro said:

Well I have zero faith in our entire first team recruitment department so nothing this summer will surprise me.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DevKWat said:

We had Negredo and bought Bamford and Gestede. Some clubs spend money for the sake of it. 

It got worse than that though, after Bamford and Gestede we relieved ourselves of £15 million for Assombalonga and £7 million for Fletcher neither of whom were fit to lace Paddy's boots and then compounded things by spending £9 million on Braithwaite which meant we needed to sell Paddy to pay for all that sub standard overpriced dross just a year and a half after signing him.

I'd like to think that we had learned from all that but we all know the answer. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I can see it now. Three or Four linked players. No one signs. All go elsewhere for more money. Sign a total random player and claim he was number one target. Then after a couple of months throw him under a bus 😂😂😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
8 hours ago, Changing Times said:

I have no idea if he doesn't suit them, and I'm not sure you do either, or if they think they have better. Some teams buy a player in order to get competition and cover for more positions. With McNair you get cover and competition for CM and CD. For the smaller teams it's not always exclusively possible to buy better players than you already have, so they look at players that can add competition instead. With Brexit there is inevitably going to be a rise in demand for homegrown players.

1 hour ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Well I have zero faith in our entire first team recruitment department so nothing this summer will surprise me.

I will be especially if the recruitment department do their job!

• Haha 1

If James Collins was a top target I’ve got absolutely no faith in us getting enough to target promotion this season. So we now move onto whoever was a worse option than him 😂 embarrassing 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

I will be especially if the recruitment department do their job!

That is the only thing that would surprise me.

The scale of the rebuild needed is huge. I don’t see us getting quality and quantity.

• Like 2