oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

3 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Fletcher to Watford just proves how little *** loyalty there is left in football. What a ***, I hope he fails spectacularly.

Feels mad to have to check this but are you being serious or taking the mickey? 😅

He's free to do what he wants at the end of the day. I don't personally see how this is a good move for Watford or Fletcher in terms of football, I honestly think Fletcher can come good and has shown evidence of it at this level but very little beyond that yet so it feels very odd overall. He's also no better than what they already have, I'm quite dumbfounded by the move on all fronts.

Rumours are it's a 5 year deal. I bet after the last season there's no chance we were willing to offer a deal that long. I'm willing to bet the deal on offer is significantly better there in terms of money too. I've got a niggling feeling come the end of the window he might not still be at Watford and they might have loaned him out to the Championship after his fitness issues last year.

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

I can't imagine that treading water would be anywhere in Warnocks mind.

Well everyone wants to achieve promotion and NW can talk a good game with the best of them, as we have seen.

But considering the players we're targeting, the likelihood of that actually happening seems very remote to me.

Put it this way, if we do by some miracle go up next season, I'll change my title to Rudy Gestede's Jockstrap... 😉

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Well everyone wants to achieve promotion and NW can talk a good game with the best of them, as we have seen.

But considering the players we're targeting, the likelihood of that actually happening seems very remote to me.

Put it this way, if we do by some miracle go up next season, I'll change my title to Rudy Gestede's Jockstrap... 😉

You won’t be able to post next season as you will probably be injured 🤕 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Scoring 10 goals for a struggling relegated team is more than our far more esteemed strikers managed. Playing for a better team he could or should add another 4 or 5 goals to those 10 or maybe even a few more if they have a decent run. It's a far better gamble than spending millions on misfiring duds. If he doesn't work out at least it won't have a long term crippling effect financially.

It's not like we're going to be on a net positive from it though. Comparably the effect would be less than Britt or Fletcher of course but unless we go up and he scores a hatful, we won't even have a chance of selling him on for profit. And if he doesn't score a bunch, we're gonna struggle to get rid of him altogether whilst potentially having a manager in charge who won't be able to use him. No bugger who will want him will be able to pay him what we will so he'll be stuck here on a contract for a few years.

A lot of this generally applies to any signing Warnock might make right now, it's not really exclusive to Smith. But it is exclusive to having Neil Warnock in charge of the club at a point where we need to rebuild the squad and have the freedom from our previous budget to do it.

He shouldn't be in charge of it, simple as. We should have the next manager in charge, at best we'd have Warnock in some supporting role above the manager and we'd have a longer term appointment in charge right now ready to start building something over the next few seasons. Instead, for all Warnock credits Gibson (the same way Pulis did about his money), he's still gonna spend it and potentially affect the future beyond his departure.

I'd happily accept mid-table next season with a new manager. With Warnock, this is hit or bust. He has to take us up or he shouldn't be here.

2 hours ago, Barnaby said:

I did think of shortening it to Ass...as I was ex Navy thought better of it 

Or if you did fancy splurging, you could have had "Load of Britt". 😁

33 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

You have to get it tattooed on your *** cheek as well. Its worth it for another promotion

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It's not like we're going to be on a net positive from it though. Comparably the effect would be less than Britt or Fletcher of course but unless we go up and he scores a hatful, we won't even have a chance of selling him on for profit. And if he doesn't score a bunch, we're gonna struggle to get rid of him altogether whilst potentially having a manager in charge who won't be able to use him. No bugger who will want him will be able to pay him what we will so he'll be stuck here on a contract for a few years.

A lot of this generally applies to any signing Warnock might make right now, it's not really exclusive to Smith. But it is exclusive to having Neil Warnock in charge of the club at a point where we need to rebuild the squad and have the freedom from our previous budget to do it.

He shouldn't be in charge of it, simple as. We should have the next manager in charge, at best we'd have Warnock in some supporting role above the manager and we'd have a longer term appointment in charge right now ready to start building something over the next few seasons. Instead, for all Warnock credits Gibson (the same way Pulis did about his money), he's still gonna spend it and potentially affect the future beyond his departure.

I'd happily accept mid-table next season with a new manager. With Warnock, this is hit or bust. He has to take us up or he shouldn't be here.

I do agree with you. The problem is though that we haven't been very good at selecting managers. I dread to think who will be the next one.

I see this place is a hive of positivity and excitement again, any signings are likely to be fairly cheap and on average championship wages it's hardly gonna be a Fletcher or Britt situation. Equally not every striker bought is going to liability, I'd quite like us to have a strong aerially decent front man who can be an asset in any squad. We haven't had one of those in a long time, well one that stays fit

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, Blanco said:

You won’t be able to post next season as you will probably be injured 🤕 

He can post in October, when he has finished this season's game streams 🙃

• Haha 2
23 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

You're overlooking the scenario where Warnock is just here to keep things ticking along until Gibson appoints a new manager...hopefully kicking off a new era culminating in promotion.

We've seen what Warnock can do for us and IMO to have a hope of achieving promotion, we either have to spend big and target significantly better players than we're doing, (potentially another Garry Monk scenario), or we have to hope he can repeat what he did at Cardiff...which would still probably cost more than Gibson would want to spend in the current circumstances.

Even if Warnock did get us promoted, we'd then immediately have to dump him and make wholesale changes to have any chance of staying up. Or just do what Norwich did last time and accept immediate relegation and go again.

Obviously the club would be in a far better position financially, but it would still require a significant gamble on Gibson's part.

I know its early days, but does anything thats happened so far strike you as a club gearing up for promotion?

While you can't rule it out, it does seem more likely that next season will be much like this one. It makes more sense to me to appoint a new manager when we're in a better position to launch a promotion bid.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

He can post in October, when he has finished this season's game streams 🙃

Yes he probably doesn’t even know where we finish in the table yet 🤣

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Yes he probably doesn’t even know where we finish in the table yet 🤣

I'm just hoping Gibson sees sense and sacks Woodgate...we're only gonna get relegated under this clown! 🤪

• Haha 3

I’m not fully convinced on the idea we will only sign plodders that no other manager can use.

Bolasie, Kebano and Watmore don’t scream that. NML was worth a gamble and has previously shown he’s a good winger at this level.

Morsy, Hall and Fischer are solid if unspectacular.

Akpom and Bett were duds - but Bett had a good reputation before coming here and people were universally happy with the signing. 

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

I’m not fully convinced on the idea we will only sign plodders that no other manager can use.

Bolasie, Kebano and Watmore don’t scream that. NML was worth a gamble and has previously shown he’s a good winger at this level.

Morsy, Hall and Fischer are solid if unspectacular.

Akpom and Bett were duds - but Bett had a good reputation before coming here and people were universally happy with the signing. 

Very sensible post @GrimsbyBoro 👍

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""