• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Barry Douglas' contract at Leeds has expired. We've been linked with him a few in the past haven't we? 

Would anyone take him on a short-term deal? 

It depends on how we intend to play. If we want to play wing backs I would consider him but not if we want to play a flat back 4.

I am quite happy with Bola as first choice. Whilst I believe we need another left back I am not sure the wages of someone like Douglas would be the best use of our resources.

30 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Barry Douglas' contract at Leeds has expired. We've been linked with him a few in the past haven't we? 

Would anyone take him on a short-term deal? 

Absolutely 

6 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

It depends on how we intend to play. If we want to play wing backs I would consider him but not if we want to play a flat back 4.

I am quite happy with Bola as first choice. Whilst I believe we need another left back I am not sure the wages of someone like Douglas would be the best use of our resources.

I have a hunch we'll go back to a back 5 next season. Especially if we can't get as many wingers in as we need for a 4-3-3. 

Yeah agree regarding the resources section, said before football is a weak link game, we should focus on those first (in an ideal world). But I do think Bola needs competition to push him to perform, at the moment he must know he's starting week in week out.

Mo Besic released by Everton.

Strange to think at his age that we're the club he's made the most appearances for in his career.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I'd have him back, especially now he's a free agent.

Edited by TeaCider24
  • Like 3
8 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

Barry Douglas is a poor defender. As a wing back who could attack? Still not for me. Coulson possesses the very same attributes so a waste of a wage and a squad place IMO

I think it's harsh to say he's a poor defender. In terms of statistics this season defensively his numbers are similar to Bola's but in attack he's streets ahead in most areas.

He's played in a back 4 and the majority of games at Blackburn who have conceded only 1 more goal than us all season. Admittedly that sees them about joint 13th in terms of goals conceded.

He was incredible in Wolves promotion season too who had the lowest goals conceded that year. Then the season after that again played in a defence (Leeds) that were among the best (3rd) in terms of goals conceded.

• Like 4

Everton have also released Josh King. Probably wouldnt come or we couldn't afford his wages but would be great at this level. Never mind dreaming  back to being rejected by league 1 journeymen.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, oldman said:

Everton have also released Josh King. Probably wouldnt come or we couldn't afford his wages but would be great at this level. Never mind dreaming  back to being rejected by league 1 journeymen.

He will no doubt be picked up by teams with more money and a chance of promotion or already in the Prem. Would probably fit in well at Norwich or Brentford.

@Robin Johnson has a point regarding Barry Douglas.

He excelled at Wolves who played a 3.4.3 but when he went to Leeds who play a back 4 he struggled. I think he rarely played when they wentnup and at Blackburn where he was on loan he was also been average, again who play a back 4. 

Incredible stats at Wolves for a left back. Average at this level since then but still distinctly and notably better than Bola. If he's on a free, his wages are going to be negligible imo. I think it's a wise purchase.

"The Athletic understands that Bolasie is set to hold further talks with Middlesbrough after the 32-year-old enjoyed a productive loan spell with the club in the second half of the season."

Pretty well informed this lot, guess it means he's not had any other offers, be surprised if we could afford his wages. 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, SmogInSheff said:

"The Athletic understands that Bolasie is set to hold further talks with Middlesbrough after the 32-year-old enjoyed a productive loan spell with the club in the second half of the season."

Pretty well informed this lot, guess it means he's not had any other offers, be surprised if we could afford his wages. 

I guess it will depend on if the multi millionaire is prepared to accept the going rate a skint Championship club can realistically afford!

• Like 2
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""