oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

5 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Did they? Out of interest, can anyone on here confirm this was the case? 'cause this sounds like nonsense to me.

Bolasie had his critics at times, particularly early on when he clearly needed work done on his fitness but he grew into the side and given the right terms, I think it'd be a deal almost unanimously well received. That certainly wasn't the case 6 months ago or last August/September when Warnock first went after him. It was talk of a man who'd barely played for years, with injury problems, who hadn't done the business at Villa etc. etc. That shifting perception didn't come from nowhere.

Kebano barely put a foot wrong from the moment he stepped in, too. That one was much less surprising as people had seen him play for Fulham and knew he'd played well in recent seasons at this level. Out of the two, the idea that 'many fans' wanted Marvin Johnson back in the side because of his failed effect on the team is farcical. I've honestly no idea where you've pulled that one from.

At best, we're talking people in sheer desperation for changes because the team as a whole wasn't working, i.e. "He's got to change something because this isn't working". Anyone in their right mind would know that had nothing to do with Bolasie or Kebano's abilities on the pitch. And I think you'd be hard pushed to find many team preferences in the 2nd half of the season that included Johnson whilst excluding either or both of Kebano and Bolasie.

There's no doubt we were worse in the 2nd half of the season but that rut started before either of those players came in. Our eventual failure was very little to do with those two players' individual talents.

Before Christmas Johnson was our top scorer and with the most assists. Watmore came in towards the end of the year and done really well eventually overtaking him (not too difficult when he wasn't playing), but then came the January Transfer window and despite NML, Bolasie and Kebano all being better on paper the results weren't. Towards the end Bolasie was getting fitter and looked  like he was maybe getting back to his previous high standards but even then it still isn't nailed on. Kebano looked decent and tidy at times but with nothing to show for it in reality, I'd have him back but I'm not fussed if we have to go elsewhere.

Our decline and slide started when Johnson was dropped for these "better" players. Does that make Marvin a better Player than them? of course not. Was he more effective for us than them, in my opinion yes.

• Like 2
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

Gibson has made mistakes but:

We've never gone down to League One like several clubs

He has already written off one set of £100m in debt.

We've had longer in the Prem that nearly all the club's you'd compare us with.

Looking forward hopefully we do get a DoF and build a model of Academy+bargain transfers.

Let's see how this summer pans out. Get off off to a decent start and we could have a decent season.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, macapes said:

Literally called them both average.

Bolasie was significantly more productive, per game or per minute, than Hoilett. And wasn't exactly match fit either. There's a huge gap between them.

I said they were average at best which doesn't equate to the same ability, 3 goals and 3 assists is pretty average for me.

Likewise 1 goal and 4 assists for Kebano, if Saville or Wing had those numbers no one would be impressed

6 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Did they? Out of interest, can anyone on here confirm this was the case? 'cause this sounds like nonsense to me.

Bolasie had his critics at times, particularly early on when he clearly needed work done on his fitness but he grew into the side and given the right terms, I think it'd be a deal almost unanimously well received. That certainly wasn't the case 6 months ago or last August/September when Warnock first went after him. It was talk of a man who'd barely played for years, with injury problems, who hadn't done the business at Villa etc. etc. That shifting perception didn't come from nowhere.

Kebano barely put a foot wrong from the moment he stepped in, too. That one was much less surprising as people had seen him play for Fulham and knew he'd played well in recent seasons at this level. Out of the two, the idea that 'many fans' wanted Marvin Johnson back in the side because of his failed effect on the team is farcical. I've honestly no idea where you've pulled that one from.

At best, we're talking people in sheer desperation for changes because the team as a whole wasn't working, i.e. "He's got to change something because this isn't working". Anyone in their right mind would know that had nothing to do with Bolasie or Kebano's abilities on the pitch. And I think you'd be hard pushed to find many team preferences in the 2nd half of the season that included Johnson whilst excluding either or both of Kebano and Bolasie.

There's no doubt we were worse in the 2nd half of the season but that rut started before either of those players came in. Our eventual failure was very little to do with those two players' individual talents.

Does every response need to be war and peace? 

5 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Does every response need to be war and peace? 

image.gif.301f639c8de721e2488a9b50d70c6af8.gif

2 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

And yes there were calls on twitter that Marv should never have been dropped, not bothered if you didn't see them

Doesn't mean they're right. More changed than just Johnson being dropped. The strikers downed tools completely, tav, morsy and fry started having injury problems and Warnock seemed to lose the ability to motivate or organise us in any shape or form.

Johnson was poor for 90% of his time here, the rest he was average. He got a couple of goals and assists at the start of the season but that's nothing to write home about either.

The calls for him to not have been dropped was just typical fans thinking someone who isn't in the side is better than they are. 

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Doesn't mean they're right. More changed than just Johnson being dropped. The strikers downed tools completely, tav, morsy and fry started having injury problems and Warnock seemed to lose the ability to motivate or organise us in any shape or form.

Johnson was poor for 90% of his time here, the rest he was average. He got a couple of goals and assists at the start of the season but that's nothing to write home about either.

The calls for him to not have been dropped was just typical fans thinking someone who isn't in the side is better than they are. 

I never said it was my point that Johnson should have been in but the results and stats generally were fairly telling, so you can understand calls for having Johnson back in after a fairly decent first half of the season.

Don't get me wrong I rate Bolasie and Kebano and Kebano is clearly a good footballer but his impact was not great. Bolasies was better but he has many question marks too and basing on their performances for us alone, they were fairly average

1 hour ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

Now I'm not saying @diggerlad07 they are trying to get an auction going for Gomes but if that's what they want.. We should be all over that. 

Me too although I was told they wanted treble that amount previously.

He's been scouted by us on numerous occasions so I'd be very surprised if didn't make a bid for that money

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Riverside94 said:

Personally I can’t stand the Gibson bashing. Have you heard of financial fair play. There’s only so much he can do and put into the club. Even if he had multi billions spare lying around he couldn’t say here you go here’s a transfer budget. Even with a takeover they would have the same spend limit so would be no difference.

Fans like you just accept it when it clearly isn't good enough the position we are in. The club have no plan to get out of the mess either as just continuing with the same mistakes 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I said they were average at best which doesn't equate to the same ability, 3 goals and 3 assists is pretty average for me.

Likewise 1 goal and 4 assists for Kebano, if Saville or Wing had those numbers no one would be impressed

So Bolasie is average at best. Hoilett would be average. Your words. If anything, that rates Hoilett higher than Bolasie, implying Bolasie 'at best' is equal to Hoilett. Nonsense.

Bolasie played in 15 games, scored 3, assisted 4, whilst not match fit.  Over a season that'd be 9 goals and 12 assists. If that's average I'll take average. 

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""