Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Haven’t posted much as I got the person in trouble with the club.   but Brazilian lad is in talks still With the club all about agreeing fee but he’s definitely interested.  Spence looks Lik

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Riverside94 said:

Nailed on boro signing for Warnock to bring the joy back 😂

Yes probably 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s clearly showed signs and symptoms of depression and needs to seek professional help. Some of these things were no doubt brought on by himself or the circle of people he was surrounding himself with (I’m thinking agents here) but there’s also no doubt social media played a major role too. Why professional sports persons especially footballers would be on social media unless it’s ran by a third party is completely beyond me 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Uwe said:

He’s clearly showed signs and symptoms of depression and needs to seek professional help. Some of these things were no doubt brought on by himself or the circle of people he was surrounding himself with (I’m thinking agents here) but there’s also no doubt social media played a major role too. Why professional sports persons especially footballers would be on social media unless it’s ran by a third party is completely beyond me 

eye its like they want the fame and attention but dont. guys like him probably just want to be a regular guy and do whatever they want to do. but when a footballer its like a ball and chain for them. i wouldnt bother with social media personally. though i would no doubt have my oneboro secret account. and blindly defend myself if i was gash from u lot haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

eye its like they want the fame and attention but dont. guys like him probably just want to be a regular guy and do whatever they want to do. but when a footballer its like a ball and chain for them. i wouldnt bother with social media personally. though i would no doubt have my oneboro secret account. and blindly defend myself if i was gash from u lot haha

Assombalonga is that you?

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a sad article which rather dispels the notion that professional footballers have a cushy life. Obscenely well paid, yes, but soul-sapping in many ways. He should be given work touring schools and sports academies, telling people about the realities of 'the dream' to ensure they go into a sporting career with their eyes open.

Good luck to Marcus. Hope he finds contentment somewhere, even if it's away from football. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

A very sad tale by Marcus Maddison that makes uncomfortable reading. Football can magnify the highs and lows and it certainly exposes any cracks in a players mental health, both during and after a playing career. I lost my best fiend to suicide, triggered we believe by a long term injury that left him unable to play again. I admire Marcus greatly for accepting his situation and I hope he finds some peace and even a bit of joy again in playing the game

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to sound harsh, but I think Madison's view on life is negative. He crosses me as the type of person, that never look to them selves, when blame is to be placed. It's always someone else's fault.  

I'm glad we never signed him, although his stats were impressive ... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

Sorry to sound harsh, but I think Madison's view on life is negative. He crosses me as the type of person, that never look to them selves, when blame is to be placed. It's always someone else's fault.  

I'm glad we never signed him, although his stats were impressive ... 

Did you even bother reading the article? Sorry but you come across as someone who either knows nothing about depression or have never suffered with it or know anyone close to you with it. 

I suffer from it as does my wife, she has it worse than I do, it affects her ability to do even the most simple things like going to the shop or making a phone call, it's an awful illness.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SmogDane said:

Sorry to sound harsh, but I think Madison's view on life is negative. He crosses me as the type of person, that never look to them selves, when blame is to be placed. It's always someone else's fault.  

I'm glad we never signed him, although his stats were impressive ... 

How much control do you think every person has over their view on life? I don't think that's fair to state from that article, to be honest. I think he's done the right thing to get out of pro football because the level he was playing at, he seemingly didn't feel comfortable getting the kind of support he sounds like he needs. We've got all sorts of positive mental health messages we speak about, that clubs push out when they're asked to promote them but its situations like this that make me wonder just how much clubs actually understand what it means to tackle that.

Clearly there was an issue with Maddison that kept clubs from bringing him up to the Championship. You don't hit numbers like he did without even a nibble. But why was nobody willing to bring him on board and see if they could help him with that? On one hand, maybe he was just a trouble-maker, that's what the rumours were, that his attitude was awful. But it wouldn't be the first time I've heard someone struggling with mental health issues to be 'the problem'.

As much as we talk about talking to one another, what actually happens in reality at times is that mental health issues are your own problems, your own negativity and you can keep it the hell away from us like it's bloody contagious. People in a strong position without those problems don't understand it so they don't need to give a toss, all that matters to some people is the bottom line. My current boss took me for a walk round by Middlesbrough College after I started having anxiety attacks just to ask about it and it meant a great deal to me. My previous boss brought in somebody else whose wife suffered from mental health issues to deal with me whilst he sat there only saying he had no idea what it was all about and was often just staring into space. I guarantee that the former accepts my problems and the latter 100% thought I was a problem.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Did you even bother reading the article? Sorry but you come across as someone who either knows nothing about depression or have never suffered with it or know anyone close to you with it. 

I suffer from it as does my wife, she has it worse than I do, it affects her ability to do even the most simple things like going to the shop or making a phone call, it's an awful illness.

No need to be rude, DZ! 

Twenty years ago, I had a major depression with really bad anxiety, lasting more than a year... But you know what. ... i worked with my own my mind, and found my way out of it, it is possible ... 

The key is not to bathe in one's own misery. 

From the day, I found the key within myself, I have been really really strong. 

And ... I didn't talk about his mental health ..I talked about his attitude .. 

To quote Mr. Miyagi ... If TV falls down 7 times ... Put it on the wall 8 times

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

No need to be rude, DZ! 

Twenty years ago, I had a major depression with really bad anxiety, lasting more than a year... But you know what. ... i worked with my own my mind, and found my way out of it, it is possible ... 

The key is not to bathe in one's own misery. 

From the day, I found the key within myself, I have been really really strong. 

And ... I didn't talk about his mental health ..I talked about his attitude .. 

To quote Mr. Miyagi ... If TV falls down 7 times ... Put it on the wall 8 times

Did you seek help or deal with it by yourself, mate?

I've known a few people also go the solo route and plenty of them live with it continuously as a result. It's hard and the important thing for me is that we shouldn't judge those who struggle to do it by themselves just because some people can manage by themselves.

The important thing that happens is that you come out the other side, as you fortunately have. Some won't and the evidence is there that getting help significantly improves your chances of dealing with it better in the long run. We shouldn't judge someone's attitude from being able to deal with it on their own, it's a sure-fire way to ensure people who need help don't get it and start blaming themselves for an issue they literally might not be able to manage through willpower alone.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Did you seek help or deal with it by yourself, mate?

I've known a few people also go the solo route and plenty of them live with it continuously as a result. It's hard and the important thing for me is that we shouldn't judge those who struggle to do it by themselves just because some people can manage by themselves.

The important thing that happens is that you come out the other side, as you fortunately have. Some won't and the evidence is there that getting help significantly improves your chances of dealing with it better in the long run. We shouldn't judge someone's attitude from being able to deal with it on their own, it's a sure-fire way to ensure people who need help don't get it and start blaming themselves for an issue they literally might not be able to manage through willpower alone.

I was seeking help ... But the system sucked at that time twenty years ago. So i only went to see a psychiatrist twice.

I had so much fear of dying, that anything seemed pointless ... So I just buried myself in a small room with tv ... No point in doing anything productive ... Nothing mattered and I couldn't find joy in anything ... We were all going to die anyway .. it was a terrible year, and a terrible horrible feeling ... 

But I have always been a fighter ... So after a year of hiding ... I had enough ... then I remembered ONE thing, the psychiatrist had said ...  

He had asked med, what I was afraid of ..  dying ... But if you die, you won't notice, so don't waste your life with fearing what you can't control ...

At the time he said it, I was mad at him and told him, that he didn't understand the way I felt at all ... ... But he did ... My mind just couldn't see it at that time ...

But one year later ... It all made sense ... And I turned my life around, cause there was nothing to fear, but fear it self ... 

So i worked really hard for a day or two .. with my mind ... And I just found a way out of it ... And today, i KNOW, that whatever happens, it happens  ... And it up to me, how I respond to it ... I can feel sorry for myself or try to make the best of it ...

So yes, the key, for me at least, was to not bathe in my own misery ... No matter how many of you who dont believe me. 

And btw ... I have helped a few people with similar issues, just by talking to them in a certain way. Won't go into details here. Pm me if you are interested.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Latest Posts

    • It's not low. See my response to Wilson because I couldn't be bothered typing it out again. Getting 2 or 3 injuries at that end of the pitch is a frequent occurrence for us.
    • Anyone else somewhat underwhelmed at the collective signings to date?!
    • I'd assume Spence would be replaced by a winger though - that's where he played most of the back end of last season. We have peltier and dijksteel as right backs, so I don't think we're getting any more cover there.  But anyway, yeah I'm making a lot of assumptions and I don't have as big a problem with bamba being signed if he's only going to be used in a crisis. Problem is, for the squad to get into a position where that is the case we will need to sign at least 2, maybe 3 that are better than him.  2 players being unavailable from a defence is not unfathomable, we missed fry and dijksteel at the end of last season, hall was out for a huge chunk, Bola is injured now, fisher is out long term- all it takes is a couple of those to happen at the same time and were in trouble.
    • Okay so my assumption that we'll sign one isn't allowed, but your end of the world assumptions are fine?  At the end of the day if what you're suggesting happens, that's a freaking unfortunate crisis that might cause Bamba to have to play, yes. The likelihood of all of those things happening seems incredibly low.
    • There's a lot of assumptions you're making there though, mate. 1 player being sold and not replaced, 1 specific player being injured and another suspended. You know how I said big emergencies? Huge crisis? This is that scenario. I don't see why we'd sell Spence and not replace him, either, really. He's played a lot in pre-season. Peltier was Fisher's cover apparently so I'd think Spence would be replaced.

×
×
  • Create New...