• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'd not care about Morsy playing at all if we actually played him in the position he spent his time at Wigan earning his bloody reputation in.

Where's this reputation coming from? Wigan liked him but they've been playing league 1 or fighting relegation for the entire time he was with them and ended up letting him go for next to nothing.

I'm just not sure I've heard where this reputation has come from outside of Boro fans, yet I still hear it coming up all the time.

20 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Where's this reputation coming from? Wigan liked him but they've been playing league 1 or fighting relegation for the entire time he was with them and ended up letting him go for next to nothing.

I'm just not sure I've heard where this reputation has come from outside of Boro fans, yet I still hear it coming up all the time.

They were forced to sell nearly their entire squad by the administrators to pay off debts, it's not like they had a choice in the sales.

7 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

They were forced to sell nearly their entire squad by the administrators to pay off debts, it's not like they had a choice in the sales.

Either way, he's still a 29 year old who never got the opportunity to play any higher than relegation fodder championship level. His career path tells an accurate story when you look at his ability. 

21 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I don't see what the fee has much to do with it given the circumstances Wigan were in. The reported fee for Kieffer Moore was only around £2m and really, given the circumstances that wasn't much at all either.

If you're not sure then maybe you didn't watch him much before he signed? He's absolutely nothing like a box-to-box midfielder which is how we've tried to play him. He's someone who is good at breaking up play, his focus is all about stopping attacks from building up by the opposition, to prevent them from creating any flow in and around the box. And regardless of who he's played for or which division he's been in, he has been good at that.

The problem with someone like that playing all the way up the pitch at times, for me, is he's not quick but his first inclination is still to stop attacks, which I think shows why he makes the so-called 'tactical fouls' in odd positions. We talk about his daft yellow cards but Clayton made tactical fouls all the time and really, you could make plenty of cases with him about them being the right decision. That seems rarer with Morsy.

If he had the ability to recover lost pitch space, he might not be such a liability when he's further up the pitch. But it just makes you wonder why bother signing a player with his qualities, at his age, if not to play him where he's actually been good for the team we signed him from.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Either way, he's still a 29 year old who never got the opportunity to play any higher than relegation fodder championship level. His career path tells an accurate story when you look at his ability. 

he was team captain and player of the season for Wigan in the year they would have stayed up comfortably had it not been for their administration. His fee was caused by their desperate need to basically sell of anyone they can and the price we got him for was an absolute steal.

As Wilson says, we have just refused to use him at what he's good for, mainly because NW refuses to drop Jonny Howson.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Brunners said:

he was team captain and player of the season for Wigan in the year they would have stayed up comfortably had it not been for their administration. His fee was caused by their desperate need to basically sell of anyone they can and the price we got him for was an absolute steal.

As Wilson says, we have just refused to use him at what he's good for, mainly because NW refuses to drop Jonny Howson.

bang on that, howson is playing in his position and saville dropped to accommodate him and a morsy played in his position which is not so suited to him. morsy sitting saville further up as a box to box and tav more advanced should be our 3 in the middle. two real wingers/inside forwards and a target man.  unlike last season we had 3 in an unbalanced midfield two wide guys and a big void filled with a striker not suited to being isolated. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dynamo Kev said:

bang on that, howson is playing in his position and saville dropped to accommodate him and a morsy played in his position which is not so suited to him. morsy sitting saville further up as a box to box and tav more advanced should be our 3 in the middle. two real wingers/inside forwards and a target man.  unlike last season we had 3 in an unbalanced midfield two wide guys and a big void filled with a striker not suited to being isolated. 

add the back four any from Bola, McNair/Fry/Hall, Dyksteel/Fisher, in my opinion is a really strong core.  At least 3 wide players and 2 strikers and were in good shape.  Add the cm from Luton for competetion, should have enough to be competative thsi year.

2 minutes ago, LBP said:

Only problem we have with having a strong core and needing 2/3 wide players is we've said that for the past 6/7 years

We’ve got Hoilett and Ameobi what more do you want 😂

• Haha 1

When I read and hear the type and level of player we are now associated with I really do despair.

The club has slid to levels not seen for many a year in terms of recruitment ( if the linked list is correct).

we are light years away from the Prem - indeed being able to compete with the top Championship clubs will prove challenging. We seem to have reached a level where our mere existence is the true level of our ambition.

We are resembling the club in the sixties where we were able to compete in the old division two without troubling the top contenders.

we are a pale shadow of the one that had ambition, gave it a go and- more importantly- gave us fans something to dare dream could be achieved. 

Im just off to the transporter bridge!!

• Like 1

As mentioned before had we got promotion would we have coped and where would the zillions come from to make a fist out of it.

So many teams we were on par with but no longer which is a great pity

As the man says..                                    sometimes you just have to accept things aren't going to happen for a while and stop griping..  it isn't settling for "mediocrity", it just realising "it is what it is" and waiting for the next cycle ..  at the moment we are walking, but in five years we might be running..  hopefully. Sometimes life is like that 🙂  

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""