oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

I'd imagine that Wing is in Warnock's plans for at least the immediate future, or else he wouldn't be starting friendlies. I think it will be partly down his own choice. Whether he is happy to be a squad player here, or would want to start somewhere else.

Coulson started as well? 

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Haven’t posted much as I got the person in trouble with the club.   but Brazilian lad is in talks still With the club all about agreeing fee but he’s definitely interested.  Spence looks Lik

Can we buy Peterboroughs scouting team instead?

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, TheJew said:
7 minutes ago, Tom said:

I'd imagine that Wing is in Warnock's plans for at least the immediate future, or else he wouldn't be starting friendlies. I think it will be partly down his own choice. Whether he is happy to be a squad player here, or would want to start somewhere else.

Coulson started as well? 

He did, yeah.

38 minutes ago, Brunners said:

While I often disagree with things you say, at least usually I can see where you're coming from. This one though; this one is just flat out bad.

Is it?  He is a career midfielder who has an ok but certainly not outstanding goal scoring record.  This is despite playing more of his football outside of the Championship - 150 games at League One and League Two level compared to 50 odd championship games.  He's only played a small percentage of those games up front, those seem to be for Rotherham.  Rotherham are one of the few (I think 3) teams who were more direct than us last season, and generally over the last few seasons have been a very direct side.  Their main strikers tend to be big lads - Smith obviously, Kieffer Moore was there for a bit as well I think.  So what, you think he got shifted up front because of his silky skills and movement off the ball?  He got moved there, for a relatively small number of games, because he's a big unit who can provide nuisance value and chip in with a few goals.  If he ends up playing up front here, it will be for the exact same reason.

Incidentally, and on a related theme, Wycombe were one of the other teams more direct than us last season.  It's no coincidence that we've signed one of their strikers, tried to sign Rotherham's striker, and then signed one of their midfielders, all players being well over 6 feet tall.

3 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Is it?  He is a career midfielder who has an ok but certainly not outstanding goal scoring record.  This is despite playing more of his football outside of the Championship - 150 games at League One and League Two level compared to 50 odd championship games.  He's only played a small percentage of those games up front, those seem to be for Rotherham.  Rotherham are one of the few (I think 3) teams who were more direct than us last season, and generally over the last few seasons have been a very direct side.  Their main strikers tend to be big lads - Smith obviously, Kieffer Moore was there for a bit as well I think.  So what, you think he got shifted up front because of his silky skills and movement off the ball?  He got moved there, for a relatively small number of games, because he's a big unit who can provide nuisance value and chip in with a few goals.  If he ends up playing up front here, it will be for the exact same reason.

Incidentally, and on a related theme, Wycombe were one of the other teams more direct than us last season.  It's no coincidence that we've signed one of their strikers, tried to sign Rotherham's striker, and then signed one of their midfielders, all players being well over 6 feet tall.

I think he got moved up front because he's got good attributes to play as a big man up top.

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Because he's tall then?  I'm glad we got that sorted out.  What a bad take that was from me 🙄

Thank you for putting me right mate 👍

no. Because he's good at holding the ball up and bringing others into play. His height helps that but it's not what makes him a valuable player up there.

3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

no. Because he's good at holding the ball up and bringing others into play. His height helps that but it's not what makes him a valuable player up there.

I see, so even though you actually used the word big in your description of him when calling him a big man up top, his height is merely incidental to this?  What would you say, is the single most important attribute required to be a BIG man up top?  If it isn't size then why is it called a BIG man up top?  Lots of players can hold the ball up and bring others into play.  Not all of those players would play in that role however because they lack the size required to do it effectively.  Absolutely bloody barmy you are 👍

• Like 1
  • Wow 1