oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

1 minute ago, White Band said:

To be honest, I don't think we can afford players who we can be confident are good enough for a promotion push let alone a charge.

Just need to be smarter. Buendia and pukki cost a mil or so for both. Put both of them in our current squad, plus Gibson on loan like Norwich did and I think we get promoted. With a decent coach who can get the best out of those players of course. 

This buying journeyman championship level players like morsy, fisher, diedhiou will keep us at that same level. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, White Band said:

To be honest, I don't think we can afford players who we can be confident are good enough for a promotion push let alone a charge.

Yup. I think we have to be prepared for another Summer of low-budget wheeling and dealing. Although if we can get some free transfers it might allow us to spend more on wages.

But again, considering it'll be Warnock (and Gibson) doing the targeting and signing, I really wouldn't get my hopes up.

Best case scenario we end up with a slightly better squad than we have now. But we're not going to become the next Norwich, Watford or Bournemouth.

N.B. If we DO become the next Norwich, Watford or Bournemouth I will bare my backside in Harrods (we're a tad more upmarket down south dontcha know).

Josh Windass has done well. 10 league goals for Sheff Wed is good going. However, he strikes me as a Duncan Watmore type player. Like a 2nd striker / wide forward.

I dont think we need Windass when we have Watmore so its a no for me. Rather focus on getting 2 proper CFs.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

Just need to be smarter. Buendia and pukki cost a mil or so for both. Put both of them in our current squad, plus Gibson on loan like Norwich did and I think we get promoted. With a decent coach who can get the best out of those players of course. 

This buying journeyman championship level players like morsy, fisher, diedhiou will keep us at that same level. 

Yeah but Norwich had a recruitment team that actually knew what they were doing. Their chairmen / chairpersons? have been smart enough to keep out of the way, while Webber, Farke and Scott got on with their jobs.

Remember who we have doing the recruiting. ☹️

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Yeah but Norwich had a recruitment team that actually knew what they were doing. Their chairmen / chairpersons? have been smart enough to keep out of the way, while Webber, Farke and Scott got on with their jobs.

Remember who we have doing the recruiting. ☹️

Yeah I'm not saying we will do it, just that it's doable. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Thanks but no thanks regarding Diedhiou, I'm not sure a cheaper Assombalonga who also doesn't score goals is exactly what we need.

Glad I'm not alone in being underwhelmed with this guy. 

We won’t go down the stats route when it comes to recruitment. Warnock said as much last year when he said about that player who was recommended to him that after watching him for 5 mins, he knew he was a bad player. We are going to go down the route based on Warnock’s judgement.. has he got a good eye for talent? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I hope I’m on here eating humble pie ina few months but Diedhiou is not a good striker. Falls over to easy. Can’t hold the ball up, can’t bring other players in and is rubbish in the air. He is not someone that will fire Boro up the league. 

1 hour ago, macapes said:

Glad I'm not alone in being underwhelmed with this guy. 

His stats are almost exactly the same as Assombalonga's, I think he has a few more assists to his name but that's it. It would almost be a like for like signing. Plus I'm pretty sure he'll want a decent wage despite being out of contract.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm not massively keen on Diedhiou either. Probably suits being the focal point in a Warnock team better than Britt, Akpom or Fletcher.

Looking at the tweet @Dan_Boro_Till_I_Dieput up, he's half decent in the air (top 3/4 for aerials won and aerials involved) and also top 10(ish) for headed goals per 90. But in terms of goalscoring, creation and general link play looks poor.

So looking forward to seeing him sign a 3 year deal in the summer. 😂

• Haha 1

The only way I can see Diedhiou working out if we play Watmore just behind/next to him. A bit like Paterson does for the Bristol strikers 

• Like 1

I said it last summer too, but I genuinely think Philip Hofmann at Karlsruher would be perfect for the type of system we play. Only problem was he did extend his contract in the winter so it now ends the summer of 2022.

I actually think he'd be a decent option off the bench (a plan B) if we played a different style completely, in a parallel universe where we didn't have NW as top dog, Giroud at Chelsea springs to mind a bit.

1 hour ago, HolgateBoy said:

Wyke over Diedhiou anyday

On ability? I am not sure I agree with that. Wykes has never played a single game at this level and for all Diedhiou shortfomings he regularly hits double figures.

For value for money I think Wyke makes more sense as i imagine Diedhiou would want a decent a wage.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""