oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

One of my worries about signing Wyke, Diedhiou, and/or other strikers of that ilk is how useful they'll be to the next manager. With Warnock in charge, it feels like we constantly have to worry about what comes next.

Warnock isn't gonna worry about that and Gibson won't either by recent evidence but the team's long term success is seemingly once again going to be gambled on imminent success. If Warnock fails again, it feels like a huge missed opportunity for whoever might come next as they inevitably get stuck with Warnock's freebies.

• Like 2
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

One of my worries about signing Wyke, Diedhiou, and/or other strikers of that ilk is how useful they'll be to the next manager. With Warnock in charge, it feels like we constantly have to worry about what comes next.

Warnock isn't gonna worry about that and Gibson won't either by recent evidence but the team's long term success is seemingly once again going to be gambled on imminent success. If Warnock fails again, it feels like a huge missed opportunity for whoever might come next as they inevitably get stuck with Warnock's freebies.

I think it's highly likely that Warnock will have a hand in picking his successor, or even be choosing the football direction from upstairs when he retires. We're likely to be watching this style of football for years to come. 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I think it's highly likely that Warnock will have a hand in picking his successor, or even be choosing the football direction from upstairs when he retires. We're likely to be watching this style of football for years to come. 

We'll struggle to find many managers who'll come on board with that, I imagine. Who is there who plays similar other than the managers who really wouldn't need Warnock around?

Seeing as we been talking about forwards today on this thread. For a bit of fun I thought I would add the strikers who are out of contract this summer/available on loan. If you could pick any two from the list below which two would you want:-

1.       Kienan Davis (aged 23)

2.       Scott Hogan (aged 29)

3.       Glenn Murray (38 in sept)

4.       James Collins (aged 30)

5.       Connor Wickham (aged 28)

6.       Andy Carroll (age 32)

7.       Dwight Gayle (age 30)

8.       Hal Robson Kanu (age 32)

9.       Famara Diedhiou (age 28)

10.   Martyn Waghorn (age 31)

11.   Charlie Wyke (age 28)

12.   Jermaine Defoe (39 in Oct)

13.   Troy Deeney (aged 33)

14.   Jordan Rhodes (aged 31)

15.   Liam Delap (aged 18)

If we got Gayle along with one of Diedhiou/Wyke I would be very happy.

I know NW looking at 2 forwards but not sure if its two target men he wants or two different type of strikers, i.e a target man and someone who is more mobile and a bit of a "fox in the box" to quote Roy Keane. Hopefully the latter.

5 hours ago, TLF10 said:

Seeing as we been talking about forwards today on this thread. For a bit of fun I thought I would add the strikers who are out of contract this summer/available on loan. If you could pick any two from the list below which two would you want:-

1.       Kienan Davis (aged 23)

2.       Scott Hogan (aged 29)

3.       Glenn Murray (38 in sept)

4.       James Collins (aged 30)

5.       Connor Wickham (aged 28)

6.       Andy Carroll (age 32)

7.       Dwight Gayle (age 30)

8.       Hal Robson Kanu (age 32)

9.       Famara Diedhiou (age 28)

10.   Martyn Waghorn (age 31)

11.   Charlie Wyke (age 28)

12.   Jermaine Defoe (39 in Oct)

13.   Troy Deeney (aged 33)

14.   Jordan Rhodes (aged 31)

15.   Liam Delap (aged 18)

If we got Gayle along with one of Diedhiou/Wyke I would be very happy.

I know NW looking at 2 forwards but not sure if its two target men he wants or two different type of strikers, i.e a target man and someone who is more mobile and a bit of a "fox in the box" to quote Roy Keane. Hopefully the latter.

That is one depressing list of names.

We could actually do worse than to bring in James Collins as a back-up Target Man, so long as we brought in a main guy up top too. 10 goals and 3 assists this season in a poor Luton side (a contribution every 192 mins), which is an improvement on contributions from his tally last season - 14 goals, 3 assists.

He's not Hollywood in any way, shape, or form. But he suits Warnock's system and style (holds up the ball, good in the air, contributes defensively), would be on far cheaper wages than the likes of Diedhiou, and if it meant we could bring in another player elsewhere it could mean a stronger squad overall. 

Reckon I'll get roasted for that, but 🤷🏻‍♂️

8 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

We'll struggle to find many managers who'll come on board with that, I imagine. Who is there who plays similar other than the managers who really wouldn't need Warnock around?

It’s taking you a lot longer than normal for the Penny to drop @wilsoncgp. They are already at the club. Blackwell and Jepson are the obvious ones to take over when Warnock moves upstairs 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2
13 hours ago, ManBearPig said:

We won’t go down the stats route when it comes to recruitment. Warnock said as much last year when he said about that player who was recommended to him that after watching him for 5 mins, he knew he was a bad player. We are going to go down the route based on Warnock’s judgement.. has he got a good eye for talent? 

And there you have the difference between a logical, detailed and methodical plan of recruitment, versus one that is largely "hit and hope".

Norwich's team looked at stats, video footage, scout reports and even checked on players' personalities to see if they would bring positive vibes to the dressing room.

Whereas as we're going to be relying on whether Warnock reckons they're any good (i.e. fit his preferred style of play).

I'm sure he's got an eye for a certain kind of talent...unfortunately its not likely to be the type that gets Boro moving up the league.

Its a bit like getting Stock, Aitken & Waterman to try and write a Top 10 chart hit now (yes I'm showing my age here). 😁 Surefire success a few decades ago, but not gonna fly today.

16 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

And there you have the difference between a logical, detailed and methodical plan of recruitment, versus one that is largely "hit and hope".

Norwich's team looked at stats, video footage, scout reports and even checked on players' personalities to see if they would bring positive vibes to the dressing room.

Whereas as we're going to be relying on whether Warnock reckons they're any good (i.e. fit his preferred style of play).

I'm sure he's got an eye for a certain kind of talent...unfortunately its not likely to be the type that gets Boro moving up the league.

Its a bit like getting Stock, Aitken & Waterman to try and write a Top 10 chart hit now (yes I'm showing my age here). 😁 Surefire success a few decades ago, but not gonna fly today.

Do you really think that NW doesn't do any of that? Every club goes through the same process, the only thing that differs is the weighting applied to each form of research 

10 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I suppose the upside in signing free agent is that you can easier let them go for reduced fees or even give them away, if they don't break through or a new manager doesn't fancy them. You're not stuck with a transfer fee on the books that you'd ideally want to balance when you want to get rid of a player. We paid 2,5 million for Chuba, and he is horrific, yet we're probably stuck with him as I can't see anyone wanting to pay for him.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mr_Maz said:

Do you really think that NW doesn't do any of that? Every club goes through the same process, the only thing that differs is the weighting applied to each form of research 

Well Warnock watched a minute of a guy via video last summer and decided he was a rubbish player. I doubt many clubs use that method of deciding who to recruit

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""