oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

This isn’t fully about Spence but probably a wider comment about youth football in this country.

the current system where ‘winning doesn’t matter’ makes the transition to winning is all that matters a large leap.

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

This isn’t fully about Spence but probably a wider comment about youth football in this country.

the current system where ‘winning doesn’t matter’ makes the transition to winning is all that matters a large leap.

I also think the short-termism at clubs has a huge impact. As a manager why bother being patient with a player who maybe won't come good for 2/3 years when on average your own job lasts around 12 months.

• Like 3
Just now, GrimsbyBoro said:

Makes me think about Aidy Boothroyd said about his England U21s job recently. It's less about winning and more about developing players. At any point he will get his players taken from him for the first team if they're doing well at the U21 level, making him describe it as 'the impossible job'.

I think it's a bit daft as he will do the same thing to the groups underneath him if he thinks they can make the step up. And international football has surely always been about developing a group over short bursts. Being successful even at the top level shouldn't necessarily be about picking the same players, you've got to pick players who've earned it or are the best of those available in their position, making them knit quickly as a group is a talent that Aidy Boothroyd seems to think isn't possible.

43 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Good comparison, Adama was a couple of years older too if I recall correctly and many on this board were desperate for us to unload him after we were relegated.

imagine comparing djed spence to adama traore

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

They were comparing the players situation which in some circumstances are comparable. I didn't read anyone comparing the football abilities.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

In fairness its probably not that bad a comparison. Although Adama was quicker, stronger and obviously an out-and-out winger. Whereas Djed has been played as a full-back, wing-back and wide forward at times. He also doesn't try to take on entire teams by himself.

But I think there is the same sense of frustration that the potential is there...just not being fulfilled.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

Id sell Spence for 200k. No worries

What do we have to gain from that? That 200k will go absolutely nowhere. Cutting off your nose to spite your face, at that point.

• Like 3

Sell. Awful footballer. Has nothing about him apart from being capable of running fast. Not a winger, not a full back, can’t control the ball, can’t run with it, can’t concentrate. Lad has absolutely nothing and him. Sorry but just my opinion.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Sell. Awful footballer. Has nothing about him apart from being capable of running fast. Not a winger, not a full back, can’t control the ball, can’t run with it, can’t concentrate. Lad has absolutely nothing and him. Sorry but just my opinion.

Careful, you'll upset NB4 with talk like that. 😉

The lad's got POTENTIAL...can't you see? 

On a more serious note, I think I'm with Wilson, in as much as I'm not sure he's worth selling, for what we're likely to get for him. Unless someone comes in with a stupid offer, for some reason...

He's probably not on big wages either, so getting rid of him wouldn't help us much with the wage bill.

Surely the logical thing to do with Spence is give him a couple of seasons out on loan? If he does well, he comes back into the fold more rounded and ready for battle under whichever Boro manager is in charge at the time. If he doesn't do well, we sell him and we've lost nothing on wages in the interim because other clubs have been paying his way. A 20-year old with little to offer won't earn us more than a 22-year old with little to offer, so he'll hardly depreciate either. If anything, a bit more mileage on the clock might add to his appeal among other clubs - less raw, less inexperienced.

• Like 4

Djed Spence is better than Joe Bennet at the same age, and Bennet went on to have a solid career.

whilst i respect people right to have an opinion, I reserve the right to think that some opinions are just pathetic.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Mr_Maz said:

Djed Spence is better than Joe Bennet at the same age, and Bennet went on to have a solid career.

whilst i respect people right to have an opinion, I reserve the right to think that some opinions are just pathetic.

I remember when Bennett left to Villa and some of us were thinking wow, how have we managed that. And no, he hasn't gone on to have a terrific career at the top of the game or anything but he certainly didn't turn out as crap as some people thought he would at the time, he's never even had to play below the 2nd tier.

Some young players get the chance, some don't. Spence has got the chance and I suspect he will keep playing in the football league one way or another because of that for the next couple of years. From there, it's up to him to be the best he can be. Nobody should be shocked if he makes it in the game because time is very much on his side.

• Like 3

If a good offer comes in for Spence I'd sell as he has amazing potential just very raw and we can't really afford him to be making mistakes for us next year. But any offer over 5 million sell to be honest if not send him out on loan to a Hull or some other league 1 promoted club

Edited by DurhamRed
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""