oneBoro Forum

Boro v Stoke City 3-0 (Hall, McNair, Mendez-Laing)

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From the peak of my career .. The 7th best league in Denmark ... 

I watched the entire game today without my laptop freezing (albeit without volume) which was welcome.  I did not think we were outstanding today but I enjoyed watching us which might sound contra

Now who's racist?

Posted Images

I think Betenelli and spence today were competing against each other for most improved players today, credit to both of them. Akpom did well today, i criticized him in the past for been a cheaper Britt but when Britt doesn't score he never contributes Akpom didn't score but did contribute today which is nice too see. Great too see us scoring 3 goals we haven't done that in a long time and kept a clean sheet which a bonus. 

Disappointing that Barnsley did not slip up but Cardiff, Bournemouth, Stoke and reading dropped points which are all playoff rivals so overall a very good day for us. 

5 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

About sums up my feelings on the game. 

Also worth pointing out that two of our biggest weaknesses this season won us the game - we were clinical up front and our goalie was in good form. Imagine where we'd be if we managed that consistently. 

3 shots on target, 3 goals. They created double the number of chances as us and had nearly double the amount of possession. They'll feel hard done by by the result but who cares?

I'd add that retaining possession is a big weakness of ours at times too. We don't value possession enough at times and that forces rearguard defending. It invites pressure onto us, at times we hold out, but I really don't enjoy it! Plus we are consistently worse, in terms of accurate passing, than the opposition week in week out.

Hopefully Bettinelli can continue in the form he was in today for the next 10 games and the same goes for the clinicalness in front of goal too.

• Like 1

Forgot we played Barnsley. Obviously would have to win that one, and pretty much every other one. At the same time hoping the teams above us keep dropping points. Personally can’t see it, as 8 points is just too big a difference and Barnsley are flying atm. 

We’ve just got to win every game, so hopefully that mentality actually helps us. 

12 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

About sums up my feelings on the game. 

Also worth pointing out that two of our biggest weaknesses this season won us the game - we were clinical up front and our goalie was in good form. Imagine where we'd be if we managed that consistently. 

3 shots on target, 3 goals. They created double the number of chances as us and had nearly double the amount of possession. They'll feel hard done by by the result but who cares?

Agree with all that. Also no stupid individual mistakes when defending, like Swansea last weekend. Some of the goals we have conceded have been so cheap. Today we looked so much more organised when we went to 4 at the back. As good as McNair has been in defence, I don’t think you can drop Hall or Fry in them positions now. 

1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

If we didn't have Barnsley to play it would be a goner but with that potential 6 point swing there's always a chance. 

Bournemouth (A), Watford (H) and Barnsley (A) in the space of 8 days will be huge.

Shame that spell of home games against Birmingham, Blackburn and Rotherham could cost us.

• Like 1

Points 8 off the pace with 30 points to play for obviously IS mathematically possible, but the probability looking at recent form and Reading and Barnsley overall form 1.69 V BORO 1.47 seems to me highly unlikely. 
BUT then we need to look at who each have left in the run in and who holds there nerve. May be, just may be, 

I think unlikely we will make the play offs this season. And even if we did I cant see us winning them, even though they are a bit of a lottery.

But still a massive improvement on last season and certainly gives optimism for next.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

Points 8 off the pace with 30 points to play for obviously IS mathematically possible, but the probability looking at recent form and Reading and Barnsley overall form 1.69 V BORO 1.47 seems to me highly unlikely. 
BUT then we need to look at who each have left in the run in and who holds there nerve. May be, just may be, 

That doesn't account for the fact we were ROBBED in the last match.

We'd have 1 or 3 points more.

🤭

It's a huge gap, but all it takes is 3 games.

Personally, I'd be happy with a good end to the season even if, as looks likely, we miss out on the play-offs.

Go in the next season with a bit of positivity.

Kind of a sucker that Barnsley won today. 
I think if we stand any chance we need to beat Barnsley, meaning we effectively need to gain 5 points on them in the other remaining 9 matches. Not impossible, but if they had drew today, we’d only need to gain 3 on them. Much more feasible imo.

We’ve simply just got to win all our games to stand a chance.

Just looking back on how many games we blown playing weaker teams the amount of draws and with a bit more adventure should have been wins and least the daft conceded of goals. Conservatively we could and should easily have another 10 points. 
At the end of the day we are doing far better then I predicted and if we finish in or around the marker will have done well.   

I think I should add, the gulf to the top two is greater then the Atlantic so if we are to challenge next season there is one hell of away to go for improvements. 

Edited by sanddancer
6 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

That doesn't account for the fact we were ROBBED in the last match.

We'd have 1 or 3 points more.

🤭

It's a huge gap, but all it takes is 3 games.

Personally, I'd be happy with a good end to the season even if, as looks likely, we miss out on the play-offs.

Go in the next season with a bit of positivity.

Agree, it’s been a strange season to date.