oneBoro Forum

Boro v Preston North End 2-0 (Storey og, Tavernier)

Date: Tuesday 16th March 2021

Venue: The Riverside Stadium, Middlesbrough.

Kick off: 1900hrs

Live streams: Through MFC and Red button Facility Sky Sports Channel 403

Introduction

MFC staff and players welcome to The Riverside the staff and players of Preston North End in what could be a very entertaining and eagerly looked forward to game of football.

Boro filled with confidence after a resouding win against Stoke City facing a team that managed a loss against Wycombe Wanders in the knowledge that should our boys in red win then we could climb up the table by one place and draw level on points with Bournemouth currently occupying 7th place.

But we can not bask in the glory of our latest win because it does not last long and there is a job to do against a Preston team that soundly beat us 3-0  at their gaff with one of the worst Boro performances seen on the road this season, so Boro will need to get their act together to save some face for that result and to put the record straight.

Current form (last 5)

Boro: WLWDL (Boro 9th place on 53 points +6 gd)

Preston: LDLWD (Preston15th place on 44 points -7 gd)

Current form between Boro and Preston for last 6 matches (includes this season) is LWDLDW (Boro first)

So we can not claim bragging rights over PNE and a hard competative game should be expected.

Other games of interest:

There are plenty forum members with lingering hopes of being able to get into the top 6 by the end of season and personaly I think that 6th spot is the only position we could achieve should results go our way but here is an overview of what is happening net Tuesday/Wednesdy night which could get hopes up further or dash them down again to a reality that getting 6th spot will be hard to achieve.

Tuesday: Cardiff V Stoke

Rotherham V Watford

Derby V Brentford

Bournemouth V Swansea

Wednesday: Birmingham V Reading

Wycombe V Barnsley

Forest V Norwich

Make what you will with those fixtures and in my mind it will be down to the fortunes of Reading, Barnsley, Bournemouth and Cardiff that will determine whether or not we progress upwards and assuming we will better the results of those above us. Clearly we can not afford to lose more than 2 out of our last ten games.

What will the gaffer do and talking points

Will he decide to go for a result as quickly as possible by choosing the right formation?

Will he make changes as players will be available again for this game (Tav and Fletcher)

What is your prefered starting 11

Can we get revenge on the away game result?

How do we play McNair?

Mystic Meg

For the fun of it predict the results of those games mentioned already or your preference of final result (example I would prefer Swansea to win)

A view from Downsouth

We need to win, this is becoming one of the most important home games of the season not only for progression but simply allowing us back to back wins, something that has not happened at home very often this season. Our home form as we know has been poor up till now so vital we continue to win just to allow points to increase and to have an advantage at The Riverside.

We slip up far too many times against teams many of us expect to beat (be truthful) and if there are hopes to fulfil then beating PNE has to happen, besides I do not want PNE to take 4 or 6 points from us this season.

Plenty to play for but so little time to do it in and knowing we can not afford to lose will have us all riveted to our seats roaring on The Boro.

Thanks for taking the time to read this Opening Post and thank you in anticipation of contributing further (oh and hopefully I will get to do a rare event of 3 matches in a row)

Hopefully this m/d thread is worth more than the 3 likes I got for the Stoke match, so much research needed on putting this informative thread together you know😁

• Like 12
  • Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks guys our son was born today at 12.55pm, might get to see the game yet!

This will be the first game I have missed all season. My wife has started to go into labour. So come on lads big win tonight please

Date: Tuesday 16th March 2021 Venue: The Riverside Stadium, Middlesbrough. Kick off: 1900hrs Live streams: Through MFC and Red button Facility Sky Sports Channel 403   Introdu

Posted Images

I would play same team as v Stoke bar replacing Spence with Fisher. i feel Fisher offers more defensive solidity in a back 4 than spence who for me is a RWB.

I would also start 4.3.3 as opposed to the 3.4.1.2 formation we started with.

Bettinelli

Fisher Fry Hall Bola

Morsy Howson Paddy

Kebano Chuba Bolasie

I would hold Tav and Fletch back for Millwall. Maybe have them as subs. No need to rush either back for this game by sticking them straight in imo.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

I would play same team as v Stoke bar replacing Spence with Fisher. i feel Fisher offers more defensive solidity in a back 4 than spence who for me is a RWB.

I would also start 4.3.3 as opposed to the 3.4.1.2 formation we started with.

Bettinelli

Fisher Fry Hall Bola

Morsy Howson Paddy

Kebano Chuba Bolasie

I would hold Tav and Fletch back for Millwall. Maybe have them as subs. No need to rush either back for this game by sticking them straight in imo.

That's the team I would play too.

Then i would try to bring on Johnson and Watmore if needed in attack and Saville in midfield.

• Like 2

When will Tav be back? I'd love to see him replace morsy in the midfield position. Morsy finds himself in and around the box a lot and it invariably breaks our attacks down because he has zero quality in that area. 

Bettinelli

Spence   fry     hall        Bola

Howson

Tav              Mcnair

Kebano                     bolasie

Akpom

And if Tav isn't back id prefer saville to morsy. Morsy should be nothing more than rotational back up for howson imo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As previously stated this is going to interested too see what Preston attitude is towards this game, with their season effectively over because they wont go down realistically or get playoffs. Either teams play with freedom when that happens meaning they pick up decent results or they play like they want to be on their holidays already hopefully its the latter. Id try start quick, if they see we are right up for the battle that might just put them off straight away. 

TLF10 looks spot on to me, id have Tav, Johnson, Fletcher and Watmore all on the bench just in case we either need to rest the front line or if we need goals in that second half obviously baring in mind we also have another game on Saturday against Milwall so will probably need a little rotation at some point. 

I think this game is going to be tight unless we score quickly, then you never know as stated they could just think owww sod this and not put up a fight. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, thomas said:

As previously stated this is going to interested too see what Preston attitude is towards this game, with their season effectively over because they wont go down realistically or get playoffs. Either teams play with freedom when that happens meaning they pick up decent results or they play like they want to be on their holidays already hopefully its the latter. Id try start quick, if they see we are right up for the battle that might just put them off straight away. 

TLF10 looks spot on to me, id have Tav, Johnson, Fletcher and Watmore all on the bench just in case we either need to rest the front line or if we need goals in that second half obviously baring in mind we also have another game on Saturday against Milwall so will probably need a little rotation at some point. 

I think this game is going to be tight unless we score quickly, then you never know as stated they could just think owww sod this and not put up a fight. 

Are we allowed to do that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Must win game again to keep the season alive reckon we should rotate would bring Fisher in as his old side point to prove, Watmore a chance for him to put in one them match winning performances and saville as he brings abit of energy to midfield whilst Howson needs rest or he'll get injured again then morsey millwall is suited for him 

Bettanali

Fisher    Fry         Hall     Bola 

Mcnair Saville 

Kebano              Watmore                   Bolaise 

Akpom

23 hours ago, Downsouth said:

1. Will he decide to go for a result as quickly as possible by choosing the right formation?

2. Will he make changes as players will be available again for this game (Tav and Fletcher)

3. What is your prefered starting 11

4. Can we get revenge on the away game result?

5. How do we play McNair?

1. I think like most teams it's hugely important for us to get the first goal.

2. I'm not sure he'll risk (at least I wouldn't risk) Tav or Fletcher from the start, but I can see them coming on.

3. I'd keep the same team as Saturday, maybe swap Spence for Fisher if we go with a back 4.

4. Yes, a 3-0 win would be nice.

5. I find with McNair if he is in the middle of midfield he slows our build up play right down, playing him in a back 3 negates that as the build up normally starts with him rather than going through him. At the weekend we almost did the opposite in terms of the build up happened before it reached him, for example his goal was him running into the space. We either play him in a back 3, or give him the role of being the most advanced midfielder of the 3. His average position at the weekend was near enough alongside Akpom. 

• Like 1
On 3/14/2021 at 12:07 PM, Neverbefore said:

When will Tav be back? I'd love to see him replace morsy in the midfield position. Morsy finds himself in and around the box a lot and it invariably breaks our attacks down because he has zero quality in that area. 

Bettinelli

Spence   fry     hall        Bola

Howson

Tav              Mcnair

Kebano                     bolasie

Akpom

And if Tav isn't back id prefer saville to morsy. Morsy should be nothing more than rotational back up for howson imo. 

Personally I want to see Samwise do more of what he did when he set up NML for our third goal. I think he has the quality, but for various reasons, he hasn't been able / allowed to show it.

• Like 1
On 3/14/2021 at 9:46 AM, Downsouth said:

Will he decide to go for a result as quickly as possible by choosing the right formation?

Will he make changes as players will be available again for this game (Tav and Fletcher)

How do we play McNair?

1. I think he mostly always does. I think it's maybe rare to see him change as quick as he did against Stoke, though. Seemed to work a charm.

2. I wonder if he will as he looked like he was considering bringing Fisher on for Spence last time out when we made the formation change. If Fletch and Tav are available, I can see some shuffling around at the top end, too.

3. 4-2-3-1, similar back 4 to Stoke game, Howson and McNair in midfield maybe, with Bolasie, Kebano/Watmore and Tav behind Fletch.

4. We can beat just about anyone in this league if we turn up. It's just always a question of whether or not we do.

5. I suspect after the Stoke game he'll be in midfield again.

What will the gaffer do and talking points

I'd be very surprised if this is the case. NW seems very much a "safety first" kind of guy. He'll want to get a feel for how Preston are going to play. That means a cautious approach to begin with...only letting the lads loose if he feels we can win (or need to chase the game).

However this is what Gareth Ainsworth (Wycombe manager) said in the post-game interview:

"First half I thought we were phenomenal. The way we started, we really went at Preston. There was some real flowing football".

So maybe there's a clue to how we should start.

Will he make changes as players will be available again for this game (Tav and Fletcher)

Well he has favoured a squad rotation policy this season, to try and keep players fresh, so I would bank on it. Though I would prefer it if he only played Tav and Fletcher if they are really fit and ready to go. Hate it when players are rushed back from injuries.

What is your preferred starting 11

Dunno if this is actually possible, but its what I'd like to see (the site has a weird way of setting up 4-3-3)... 🤷‍♂️

1224828204_BorovPreston.PNG.20ca34432cb1abc0a83edf09277b2979.PNG

Obviously would love it - and I think it would be a nice morale booster for the lads to overturn that result. Again, this is a winnable game. Boro on a high (hopefully) from the Stoke game and Preston coming on the back of a defeat at Wycombe. This should be an easier task than the Stoke game...but you just never know which Boro will turn up.

How do we play McNair?

Tuck him under your arm and strum him gently with a plectrum? 🙃

Animated GIF

Well, if Fry is fit and ready to play, I'd love to see him start in midfield. I think he showed what an asset he can be creatively, when he's not having to marshal our back line. With Hall now available to do that job, I want to see Paddy set free to strut his stuff.

• Like 1

I'd like to think even Neil Warnock is still learning on the job. The first 20 minutes didn't work on Saturday, but the rest of the match was very effective. Let's hope that's the springboard so many of us have been waiting for, and performances begin to flow as a direct result of lessons learned at the weekend.

I hate changing a winning team, so I'd leave them both on the bench. If anyone isn't performing, hook them at half time.

I can't go beyond @TLF10's choice above, with NML, Tav and Fletcher as impact subs if they're fit and we're not already winning comfortably.

I sincerely hope so. I feel it's deserved.

How do we play McNair?

I think he should play in midfield because we've been sorely lacking a playmaker, and in the absence of a Gaston feeding the strikers, Paddy can probably do the best job of linking defence and attack.

23 hours ago, Brunners said:

Are we allowed to do that?

Lets see who did that ...

Warnock no, Woodgate no, Pulis no, Agnew no, Karanka sometimes, Mowbray sometimes. I am gonna go with not in recent times.