oneBoro Forum

Boro v Preston North End 2-0 (Storey og, Tavernier)

Guinness is brewed in different countries and tastes very different due to water profiles, etc. Effectively Guinness ship extract to different locations and brew it from that, hence Nigerian guinness being about 7%. There used to be a pub in Dublin across the river from the Guinness brewery that imported guinness from Nigeria. 

Anyway, I'd agree with DZ. Guinness isn't even the best stout in Dublin, much less in Ireland or beyond. If you want to compare it to other Irish macro stouts, I'd take a Beamish over it any day of the week. Foreign Extra (from the bottle) is a decent drop, and surprisingly the guinness west indies porter isnt bad either. If you're ever in Cork (and the pubs are open) grab a Mi'Daza from any of the Rising Sons pubs (10 or 11 of them in the city) for a proper pint of stout, or the Porterhouse Wrasslers XXXX if you are in Dublin/Bray. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks guys our son was born today at 12.55pm, might get to see the game yet!

This will be the first game I have missed all season. My wife has started to go into labour. So come on lads big win tonight please

Date: Tuesday 16th March 2021 Venue: The Riverside Stadium, Middlesbrough. Kick off: 1900hrs Live streams: Through MFC and Red button Facility Sky Sports Channel 403   Introdu

Posted Images

The water profile is really significant, and it's why Coke tastes so different as you go around the world. To be honest, it tastes different around the UK - I'm convinced the Coca-Cola plant in East Kilbride makes better cola than the other British factories, because Scottish water is softer with less limescale and minerals. There can be a tangible taste difference between one can and another, though rarely from two cans sold in the same multipack.

Anyway, back on topic, good game last night, Preston fans must be raging, etc.

• Like 1

Surely these large companies standardise the water they use? 

It's pretty easy to engineer the exact softness, mineral content etc. of water that you want, and I know Samuel Adams in the US standardise their water across all plants. Find it hard to believe a company like Coca Cola or Guinness wouldn't as they'd want their product to taste the same everywhere. 

15 minutes ago, boroie said:

Guinness is brewed in different countries and tastes very different due to water profiles, etc. Effectively Guinness ship extract to different locations and brew it from that, hence Nigerian guinness being about 7%. There used to be a pub in Dublin across the river from the Guinness brewery that imported guinness from Nigeria. 

Anyway, I'd agree with DZ. Guinness isn't even the best stout in Dublin, much less in Ireland or beyond. If you want to compare it to other Irish macro stouts, I'd take a Beamish over it any day of the week. Foreign Extra (from the bottle) is a decent drop, and surprisingly the guinness west indies porter isnt bad either. If you're ever in Cork (and the pubs are open) grab a Mi'Daza from any of the Rising Sons pubs (10 or 11 of them in the city) for a proper pint of stout, or the Porterhouse Wrasslers XXXX if you are in Dublin/Bray. 

Beamish is decent (for a Macro) although it is brewed by Heineken now which I have a problem with.

I'm a big fan of White Hag's Black Boar BA stout, at 10.2% it's not one to have on a school night though (and if you had a session on it today you'd die, plus also probably be bankrupt by the end of the day!)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I do enjoy a good Porter though, If you ever get to Denmark treat yourself to a Limfjordporter. Nice and black. Don't drink it too cold.

Stouts and porters should never be drank (drunk?) cold. Room temperature, or if you have one, cellar temperature. Drinking stouts and porters (hell, most beers really) cold masks all the different flavour profiles.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Will said:

Surely these large companies standardise the water they use? 

It's pretty easy to engineer the exact softness, mineral content etc. of water that you want, and I know Samuel Adams in the US standardise their water across all plants. Find it hard to believe a company like Coca Cola or Guinness wouldn't as they'd want their product to taste the same everywhere. 

It’s often about local tastes with Coca Cola.

They deliberately change the receipe to suit the local market. The western cola is often too sweet for other markets.

Just now, GrimsbyBoro said:

They deliberately change the receipe to suit the local market. The western cola is often too sweet for other markets.

Yep Brazilian Coca Cola is way sweeter than in the Uk. When my mother in law came to visit I bought a couple of bottles of UK Coke as I knew it was her drink of choice. She took one sip and hated it and went back to drinking coffee with 4 sugars in it.

26 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

The water profile is really significant, and it's why Coke tastes so different as you go around the world. To be honest, it tastes different around the UK - I'm convinced the Coca-Cola plant in East Kilbride makes better cola than the other British factories, because Scottish water is softer with less limescale and minerals. There can be a tangible taste difference between one can and another, though rarely from two cans sold in the same multipack.

Anyway, back on topic, good game last night, Preston fans must be raging, etc.

Fun fact, Scotland is the one of only 2 countries in the world where Coca Cola isn’t the top selling soft drink due to the popularity of Irn-Bru.

The other country is Cuba, they really haven’t allowed anything American into the country since 1959.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Duvel said:

It was so obvious how Warnock was going to react, I actually called it on here at half time. 

Its just a big game, whether its berating referees one week or suffering from temporary blindness the next. 

People shouldn't hang on his every word after games when its so obvious what he's doing most of the time. He's not the only manager who does it as well they're mostly all the same. 

I don't think it is what you said though, not entirely anyway. I could be wrong but I think he's acknowledged it whilst saying he can't. I think what he's done here is even worse. He's persisting the trope whilst essentially acknowledging he's lying. It's ridiculous.

Happy Paddys Day to everyone,those that are Irish & all those that wanna be. Getting a bit worried this morning,just out & about & i have never seen so many people out walking & cycling, As this rate there is a danger that we will lose our hard earned reputation of Guinness skulling,potato eating layabouts.This can only lead to things like salads,wine & sobriety,Worrying times indeed!

• Haha 5
1 hour ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Although they DO sell Red Bull in Thailand, its sales pale in comparison to the original energy drink it was inspired by, Krating Daeng.

51 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Fun fact, Scotland is the one of only 2 countries in the world where Coca Cola isn’t the top selling soft drink due to the popularity of Irn-Bru.

The other country is Cuba, they really haven’t allowed anything American into the country since 1959.

But lots of Iron-Bru!

56 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Cuba now does sell Coca-Cola and there's been a single McDonald's outlet there since 1986, it's at Guantanamo Bay though, so not open to citizens of Cuba.

• Wow 1