oneBoro Forum

Boro V Watford 1-1 (Bolasie)

1934911020_Screenshot2021-04-02at19_26_05.png.16fc426c5be0da6e762eb23adf0a13d4.png

Lion v Moose, Monday 5th April 2021

Kick Off: 12.30

"The next game of this season, Incase anyone is still interested..."

Well, where to start... probably at 3pm on March 20th v Millwall would've been a good place! It seems that Warnock's boys limp effort to reach the playoffs has become every bit the improbable task some amongst us feared it would be. I was definitely of the opinion that this was the season that we would eventually come good on Gibson's 2017 promise to "smash the league." Or perhaps, more realistically, at least achieve promotion glory through the playoffs. Earlier in the season, when we still had loads of games to play, optimism was easy to come by. Even when we had a couple of defeats in a row, an impressive draw or scrappy win would keep the dream alive. In fact, this season  I've watched more Boro games (on TV) than I saw games (in real life) in my season ticket days. It's been a great source of distraction durning a global pandemic, with all its fixtures and fittings. Despite the seasons disappointing fizzle, whilst I'm disappointed with the outcome, I am glad I got to watch almost every minute. Being a football fan would be boring if your team won every week wouldn't it!

The last two performances have not painted the picture of the Warnock side I hoped our beloved Boro would become. There's been a distinct lack of fight. Despite everything they had to play for, the players haven't shown up. I can't put my finger on exactly where things have gone wrong but I have a sneaky suspicion that Warnock might regret making Britt Assombalonga captain. He's not a leader, never was. And in stripping him of the captaincy I can't help but feel the mood in the camp may have been soured somewhat. Surely the team must've known he wasn't captain material, but he was given the job as leader on the pitch and so some kind of loyalty would inevitably have developed. It was a confusing appointment that has created a confusing circumstance for the squad. 

Rewind back to the first game of the season and you could argue the writing was on the wall for how things would pan out. We weren't outplayed by Watford in anyway but they didn't really threaten much and, neither did we. We weren't terrible, just not quite good enough and every opposition set piece was a real threat to our goal. I watched the game full of hope and expectation thinking that despite our inferior squad, Warnock would somehow rally the troops and we would overcome. But we didn't.

Our starting 11 for that first game of the season didn't include the mighty Dael Fry or the best ever left back we've seen at the club - Marc Bola. (Seriously, Bola will have a statue outside the stadium one day.) 

VIEW FROM THE OTHER SIDE

Go here to read what the Hornet's think of us. Some nice pics of the Boro! (I did notice that the OP thought we were managed by Karanka last season... It's not like we've had a big manager merry go round... unlike some teams I could mention...)

FOOT IN BOTH CAMPS

Captain Shambles aka Brit Assombalonga began his career at Watford

Diego Fabbrini joined Boro on loan in the 2015/16 season scoring 6 goals in 26 games before being forgotten about after we signed Gaston Ramirez.

Kiki Dee performed in Middlesbrough in November 1976, after her hit "Don't Go Breaking My Heart," with Watford's legendary owner Reginald Dwight.

Danny Graham played for Watford whilst he wasn't playing for us at some point before he played for us again then didn't. 

TALKING POINTS

How important are the games from now to the end of the season? Are they even more important is some ways?

Would you play anyone that won't be here next season in the remaining games? ...can we drop Bettinelli yet...please?

What should our line up be?

How easily would the lion on our badge take down the moose on theirs?

• Like 8
  • Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lion v Moose, Monday 5th April 2021 Kick Off: 12.30 Location: Stadia by the Tees "The next game of this season, Incase anyone is still interested..." Well, where to start... probab

Live footage of Robin Johnson.

Perhaps it's because I'm pretty depressed at the moment, but I feel quite numb after that game. We won't miss out on promotion because of today's non-performance, but today neatly encapsulated so many

Posted Images

I would go with Brynn in goal over Bettinelli and Archer but i think that might be asking too much of NW. I would give Coulson and Sav a game though.

Bettinelli

Fisher Hall Paddy Coulson

Kebano Morsy Sav Bolasie

Watmore Fletcher

• Like 1

Um the only hope we have is the pressure gets to Watford and they bottle it in front of the TV cameras like Swansea and Brentford have the last few days. I hope Fletcher starts though he provides focal point. I think we should see what Archer offers give him some game time as the judgement is cast on Bettanali he should hopefully not be here next season. Its a shame we shipped Stojanovic out as this could of been his run of games to see if he is cut out for it. As since he went to St Pauli they haven't looked back. 

Archer

Fisher.        Hall.       Mcnair.      Bola 

Saville.      Morsey 

Bolasie.        Watmore.     Kebano

Fletcher 

• Like 1

Let's hope we escape with  just a mauling and not a thrashing as I have little hope that we will see a credible resistance from Boro after the last two games.

Bungle

Spence        Hall      Bola    Coulson

Saville     Morsy 

Watmore     Kebano     Johnson

Akpom

• Like 1

Great OP @marvin

We are the epitome of average this season.  With Watford flying high at the very top of the form table and Boro would rather start matches without a recognised striker, but rather wait until we are behind a goal or two before bringing Ashley (Tim nice but dim) Fletcher on around the 75 minute mark. 
Added to that is how terrible we are at home I expect nothing more than a resounding Boro victory. It’s the most Boro thing to do

But like some bloke did a couple of thousand years ago this could be the weekend that Boro rise from the dead to inspire a charge to the promised land. (Only to fade away for another couple of millennia) 

Suppose we will have to wait and see

• Like 1

Probably the odd one out, but I sort of enjoy being in a division where for the most part, the teams are pretty even and you don't know who is going to win before the game starts, maybe the football isn't of the highest quality, but when there is a good move that results in a goal, it stays in the mind and gives a lasting memory. Obviously the object has to be promotion but trying to change a team completely in one season always seemed a bit of an ask and if we can reach the stage where we have a group that could improve over next season to challenge then that would be a start..

we do need a keeper that inspires confidence..

Bola Hall, Fry and Dijksteel make a good back four but time is catching up with Howson..  not sure Morsy can do that role and Paddy is too defensively erratic for me ...so would look for an defensive midfielder..

Saville, Johnson, Tavernier, Spence and McNair do create a base for going forwards ..  Coulson needs a loan out but still think he can make the grade ..  same for Hackney.

Watmore should start as often as possible but we need someone at the front who is physically capable of holding on to ball against the robust defenders that we encounter and if we can ever find one, then the jigsaw starts to come together ..I don't mind someone kicking a ball thirty yards forward as long as it is to one of our players, it is often more effective than six five yard passes that allow your opponents six chances to intercept, but it seems that at the moment some players pass to where a team mate should be rather than where they are just to get rid of the ball..  I would be surprised to see any of the loan players here next season, but with no Britt on the books, strange things could happen. Our main problem is too many injuries to the "best" players and that is what costs us.. our first eleven matches nearly everybody but it is rare that someone or other isn't missing and we just don't have the squad depth to cover . If Fry still injured, then Watford will be favourites to win, especially on current form, but wouldn't be surprised to see us sneak a draw just to be awkward..  if we do lose, then rest of season should be used as build up to next year and if that means giving kids a run out, then take the chance ..  they don't have to have worldies, just need to show that they have the potential.  

• Like 2

Great post Marvin. Nicely sums up this season. 👍

TALKING POINTS

How important are the games from now to the end of the season? Are they even more important is some ways?

Well if I were manager I'd just use our remaining fixtures to have a look at some of the youth players. We are, after all, playing the bottom 3 teams, so giving them a run-out shouldn't be that much of a risk, bearing in mind how we have fared with our senior squad. 

Would you play anyone that won't be here next season in the remaining games? Can we drop Bettinelli yet...please?

Absolutely not. As far as they're concerned, the season is already over, so I can't see them putting much effort in. If they want to put themselves in the shop window, they can do it at their own clubs.

As for Bettinelli - I'd drop him for Archer...even if its just so we can see someone different being just as bad.

Well I wouldn't throw the youngsters in at the deep end against Watford - they don't deserve that. I'd still play as strong a line-up as possible. If Dijksteel is still injured, stick Fisher in his place.

545456771_BorovsWatford.PNG.0da9923c04df2d7b94ffe60515027576.PNG

We're at home and we don't have anything to lose, so I've gone with a (hopefully) attacking lineup.

Very. But I have to ask the question: Watford's nickname is The Hornets...WHY DO THEY HAVE A BLOODY MOOSE ON THEIR BADGE?

Anyway, on to my prediction. Its a foregone conclusion that Watford will win...its just a question of by how many.

Bearing in mind our first game of the season and the fact that the "buzzers" needed a 7th minute OG to overcome Wednesday last time out (are they feeling the fatigue now?) it may not be as horrendous as we may think.

Prediction: Boro 0 - 1 Watford

Visitors to nick it with a soft goal (more shambolic defending & keeping) in the last 15 minutes.

Edited by AnglianRed
9 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Very. But I have to ask the question: Watford's nickname is The Hornets...WHY DO THEY HAVE A BLOODY MOOSE ON THEIR BADGE?

confused will ferrell GIF

Seriously - it does my head in!

It's meant to be a hart (male deer), because they're from Hertfordshire.

de3efae591930958cf6f16bccd8d4969.thumb.jpg.7558e7f5cda59a9bf625aaddd03c9301.jpg

image.png.5d66b8a217ae8699f7304e4c7cd515e8.png

Terrible resemblance.

Hartlepool's latest badge is more obviously a hart.

image.png.d5e2fc9871eb1f0b10a0a167cb591f24.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How important are the games from now to the end of the season? Are they even more important is some ways?

I don't think it matters now. Hope I'm wrong, but the players look like they're already on the beach, and Warnock seems incapable of motivating them.

Would you play anyone that won't be here next season in the remaining games? ...can we drop Bettinelli yet...please?

Bettinelli should never play for us again. My cat could do better in goal, and she died last month. Otherwise, I would play our strongest lineup. Wins build confidence, so let's try to finish strongly and make ourselves look a bit more desirable for summer signings. Finishing eighth would seem better to a prospective signing than finishing thirteenth.

It doesn't really matter because the players appear to have chucked it, but I'd play 4231 with Fletcher up front if fit, Akpom if not. I just don't get the principles of playing without a recognised striker. We need to work on goalscoring in preparation for next season, so I'd go fairly gung-ho, but then I'm not Warnock, and he won't, so we'll probably continue to be pitifully low scorers. Were there too many commas in that sentence?

How easily would the lion on our badge take down the moose on theirs?

Given Boro's season so far, our lion probably has a recurring injury and would collapse with exhaustion after a half-hearted pursuit of its objective, ending in abject and embarrassing failure.

• Haha 1

@RiseAgainst thanks - I did not know that. Still begs the question why they didn't call themselves The Harts, or something else deer-related.

I'm guessing they went with Hornets because of their black and yellow kit, but it'd be nice to have some consistency when you have something that can serve both as a nickname and club badge.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Old Codger said:

Probably the odd one out, but I sort of enjoy being in a division where for the most part, the teams are pretty even and you don't know who is going to win before the game starts, maybe the football isn't of the highest quality, but when there is a good move that results in a goal, it stays in the mind and gives a lasting memory. Obviously the object has to be promotion but trying to change a team completely in one season always seemed a bit of an ask and if we can reach the stage where we have a group that could improve over next season to challenge then that would be a start..

we do need a keeper that inspires confidence..

Bola Hall, Fry and Dijksteel make a good back four but time is catching up with Howson..  not sure Morsy can do that role and Paddy is too defensively erratic for me ...so would look for an defensive midfielder..

Saville, Johnson, Tavernier, Spence and McNair do create a base for going forwards ..  Coulson needs a loan out but still think he can make the grade ..  same for Hackney.

Watmore should start as often as possible but we need someone at the front who is physically capable of holding on to ball against the robust defenders that we encounter and if we can ever find one, then the jigsaw starts to come together ..I don't mind someone kicking a ball thirty yards forward as long as it is to one of our players, it is often more effective than six five yard passes that allow your opponents six chances to intercept, but it seems that at the moment some players pass to where a team mate should be rather than where they are just to get rid of the ball..  I would be surprised to see any of the loan players here next season, but with no Britt on the books, strange things could happen. Our main problem is too many injuries to the "best" players and that is what costs us.. our first eleven matches nearly everybody but it is rare that someone or other isn't missing and we just don't have the squad depth to cover . If Fry still injured, then Watford will be favourites to win, especially on current form, but wouldn't be surprised to see us sneak a draw just to be awkward..  if we do lose, then rest of season should be used as build up to next year and if that means giving kids a run out, then take the chance ..  they don't have to have worldies, just need to show that they have the potential.  

Excellent post @Old Codger

• Downsouth changed the title to Boro V Watford 1-1 (Bolasie)