oneBoro Forum

BARNSLEY_BEAMBACK_169.thumb.jpg.ab39694a944de8f840ac6e2b74835780.jpg

When?

Saturday 10th April, 15:00

Where?

Oakwell, somewhere in South Yorkshire

So. Barnsley. Flat caps, whippets, ecky thump, eeh by gum tha's gonna be a reet tricky game. 

Mainly because Boro management appear to already be on the beach:

Polish_20210406_183945233.thumb.jpg.7c5a5e23d7cbd08a2cbe60e89d288f26.jpg

While we don't have any strikers who can put the ball in the net, and this man has been frozen out of the team completely:

Polish_20210407_155716873.thumb.jpg.7c0c9ee9db539f287deb82bae79ee787.jpg

On top of those issues, our goalkeeper is, well..

Polish_20210407_160627372.jpg.d7005e676893d7e4cc85f11941542de8.jpg

So all in all, this is going to be a tough game. But so was Watford, and we got a point there, right? Can the mighty Boro nullify Barnsley's attack, or will Warnock decide to play slightly more attacking? Look what happened against Bournemouth if you want an idea of what that might likely lead to.

View from t'other side

http://barnsleyfc.org.uk/threads/colins-boro-up-next.303330/

Looks like they've only just figured out the internet down there, their forum is all over the place but this looks likely to be a precursor to their match day thread.

Important questions

Lineup (aka Would you drop Bettinelli?)

Score predictions

All joking aside, how good would it be to see Barnsley in the Premier League next season? They're a very good side, with great fans, a proper old school stadium and wealthy owners to boot, I reckon they could ruffle some feathers next season if they went up.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When? Saturday 10th April, 15:00 Where? Oakwell, somewhere in South Yorkshire So. Barnsley. Flat caps, whippets, ecky thump, eeh by gum tha's gonna be a reet tricky game.  Mai

Warnock is a manger/coach who won't admit that he's got it wrong bringing Bettinelli in, we al know the keepers wrong for us and nobodies convincing me the coaching staff don't know that either, stubb

It shouldn't read like it's coming from the MFC website though.  This is something I copied from there as well: 'The game wasn’t one for the purists. Barnsley’s assault on the play-off places has

Posted Images

I would drop Bettinelli and ideally for Brynn for next 6 games.

Also would like to see Coulson given a run out at left back for next 6 games and NML

My team:

Brynn

Fisher Hall Paddy Coulson

NML Howson Sav Bolasie

Watmore Akpom

Subs: Archer, Spence, Bola, Hackney, Folarin, Johnson, Kebano, Fletcher, Coburn

23 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

I would drop Bettinelli and ideally for Brynn for next 6 games.

Also would like to see Coulson given a run out at left back for next 6 games and NML

My team:

Brynn

Fisher Hall Paddy Coulson

NML Howson Sav Bolasie

Watmore Akpom

Subs: Archer, Spence, Bola, Hackney, Folarin, Johnson, Kebano, Fletcher, Coburn

I don't think you'll ever see Coulson at LB in a NW team ever again. He's more likely to start at 10 than he is LB for Warnock.

What's Bola done wrong? He's been a bit shaky at times recently but all in all he's been very decent all season. 

I do think he'll play coulson after his comments, but it'll be in the Tav role.

Unchanged backline for me, and I'd start Akpom up front, bring in Mendez-Laing for Spence.

I've got full confidence that we can beat Barnsley, but I'll not actually be that upset if they do win as it cements their play-off spot.

Still hope Boro romp it though.

• Like 1

Lineup (aka Would you drop Bettinelli?) Yes, I would drop him. He's an absolute liability. I'd go 4-4-2 because I can't be doing with one up front or no recognised strikers on the pitch, and I'd pair Akpom and Fletcher (if fit) or Watmore (if not). I don't understand why managers can't see the benefits of giving a striker a foil - or ideally another striker - to play off. Have we learned nothing from sticking Stuani on the wing or making Negredo play in a different postcode to the rest of the team?

Score predictions I predict a miserly 1-0 win to us, which will be just enough to get people dreaming of the impossible again. As John Cleese once said, "It's not the despair. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand."

All joking aside, how good would it be to see Barnsley in the Premier League next season? They're just a thoroughly likeable side, aren't they? No major issues with hooliganism, no Russian billionaires, a manager who openly wept with pride when they stayed up, and a proper old-school stadium. And they hate Leeds. They're one of a handful of sides who give me a tiny flutter of satisfaction when they win.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

All joking aside, how good would it be to see Barnsley in the Premier League next season? They're just a thoroughly likeable side, aren't they? No major issues with hooliganism, no Russian billionaires, a manager who openly wept with pride when they stayed up, and a proper old-school stadium. And they hate Leeds. They're one of a handful of sides who give me a tiny flutter of satisfaction when they win.

I do agree with most of the sentiment in this, but they do have Chinese billionaire owners now, though they've invested very little so far, and it's a different manager to the one who kept them up.

Still hope they go up.

I'm reminded of their previous owner and a touching statement from him before his sale of the club:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41249300

It'd be lovely for his legacy if his sale of the club when sadly dying of cancer resulted in the promotion of the club to the Premier League.

• Like 2

Sorry I should add Bola done nothing wrong and is very much first choice left back. I just rather see certain players given the next 6 games to show us what they can do and if they can play in NW system.

I know chances of it are limited but I would like to see how Coulson performs in a NW team and defence.

I would also like to see NML and Akpom start the next 6 games to see if they worth persevering with next season. Bolasie another one who falls in that category.

Kebano I feel we would only look at if Fulham stayed up but personally dont think they will.

2 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

I do agree with most of the sentiment in this, but they do have Chinese billionaire owners now, though they've invested very little so far, and it's a different manager to the one who kept them up.

Still hope they go up.

I'm reminded of their previous owner and a touching statement from him before his sale of the club:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41249300

It'd be lovely for his legacy if his sale of the club when sadly dying of cancer resulted in the promotion of the club to the Premier League.

Their owners are American, though one of them has dual Chinese nationality. I agree they're absolutely loaded, though - another example of Steve Gibson being priced out of modern football club ownership.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Their owners are American, though one of them has dual Chinese nationality. I agree they're absolutely loaded, though - another example of Steve Gibson being priced out of modern football club ownership.

Incredibly, their record signing only cost £2m, and that was back in the 90s!

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

Had a look at the Barnsley forum...dunno what you're complaining about DZ. Looks very nicely laid out to me. Fans seem a nice bunch too - NW apparently has some history with them, as well as saying nice things about them.

They've done a bit of reciprocating towards him and Boro. Think if we're going to lose to anyone this season, I'd want to be this lot.

Anyway, on to other matters, I'm quite surprised Bettinelli hasn't managed to drop himself. 🤪 While he wasn't exactly terrible against Watford, his overall season form means he should be on the first bus out of Teesside along with Britt (and the rest of the mass exodus).  

For reasons I can't remember, I put us down to win this one in the Predictions League. Will no doubt end up regretting this as it will inevitably jinx us. Reckon it will be a close game - just the one goal will be enough to secure the points. Obviously hoping we'll get them, but more likely the hosts will. If we're honest they'll be more useful to Barnsley. Prediction: Barnsley 0 - 1 Boro.

Being a bit more creative with the lineup. Would have gone with 5-3-2 to counter Barnsley's 3-4-1-2, but since we don't have the players to do that well, I stuck with 4-3-3 (attack being the best form of defence).

1203469084_BarnsleyvBoro.PNG.fd92882db7b19b506d7238bf704a58af.PNG

I figured stick an U23 lad in central defence so McNair can move into midfield and show off his playmaking prowess again. Also hopefully have a bit of pace to help out "old man" Grant. Put another one in at right-back since Fisher hasn't been all that great. Also putting Brynn between the sticks in place of Butterfingers.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Had a look at the Barnsley forum...dunno what you're complaining about DZ. Looks very nicely laid out to me. 

It's running on an old build of XenForo, it's ancient and there's loads of duplicate threads, there doesn't seem to be much organisation there. It's better than fmttm at least! 

They've made a thread about my thread, apparently they're not rich and they do have hooligans! 

I called their stadium old school because when I last went it reminded me of Ayresome Park. They don't seem to be too offended 🤣

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

It's running on an old build of XenForo, it's ancient and there's loads of duplicate threads, there doesn't seem to be much organisation there. It's better than fmttm at least! 

They've made a thread about my thread, apparently they're not rich and they do have hooligans! 

I called their stadium old school because when I last went it reminded me of Ayresome Park. They don't seem to be too offended 🤣

Well "old school" can be taken as a compliment as well. Usually means doing things in traditional ways that are still better than other newer methods.

Or it can just mean something thats been around a long time... 😁 I believe some of our more senior members have fond memories of Ayresome Park.

From the posts I read they seem like a decent bunch with a sense of humour. Proper Yorkshire, like.

• Downsouth changed the title to Barnsley v Boro 2-0