• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When? Saturday 10th April, 15:00 Where? Oakwell, somewhere in South Yorkshire So. Barnsley. Flat caps, whippets, ecky thump, eeh by gum tha's gonna be a reet tricky game.  Mai

Warnock is a manger/coach who won't admit that he's got it wrong bringing Bettinelli in, we al know the keepers wrong for us and nobodies convincing me the coaching staff don't know that either, stubb

It shouldn't read like it's coming from the MFC website though.  This is something I copied from there as well: 'The game wasn’t one for the purists. Barnsley’s assault on the play-off places has

Posted Images

6 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Coulson could be playing as a number 10 again at some point in the run in.

Fry and Tav might make the last 2 games of the season.

Whatever you think of Coulson, whether you think he's good enough or not, does any part of his game seem to suggest him as a number 10?  What is the point in playing people out of position to give them a chance to prove themselves, it's completely bloody stupid.  At the start of the season he had him at right wing back didn't he.  Just barmy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

Whatever you think of Coulson, whether you think he's good enough or not, does any part of his game seem to suggest him as a number 10?  What is the point in playing people out of position to give them a chance to prove themselves, it's completely bloody stupid.  At the start of the season he had him at right wing back didn't he.  Just barmy.

Judging from Warnock's own words, he's not better than the other players in his actual positions.

I expect him to be moved on in the summer.

Edited by TeaCider24
7 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Judging from Warnock's own words, he's not better than the other players in his actual positions.

I expect him to be moved on in the summer.

Yeah I know what Warnock thinks.

2 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Supposedly he's "the best at the club" when it comes to close control with lots of bodies around him, which is why Warnock thinks he might work as a 10. 

And I can see why you think it's stupid, but at the end of the day these final 6 games don't mean anything and what if Coulson actually turns out to be a great fit there?! We'll never know unless we try and if it doesn't work he likely moves on in the summer, as he would have had we not tried him at all. 

Don't see the harm in it personally, can't be any worse than some of our other options right now.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Yeah I know what Warnock thinks.

I don't really get the issue, to be honest, unless you'd rather just ship him out.

Which is a fair opinion.

I don't think he's ever been a good left back, I wouldn't even want him there as back up, so may as well try him further up the pitch.

1 hour ago, Brunners said:

Supposedly he's "the best at the club" when it comes to close control with lots of bodies around him, which is why Warnock thinks he might work as a 10. 

And I can see why you think it's stupid, but at the end of the day these final 6 games don't mean anything and what if Coulson actually turns out to be a great fit there?! We'll never know unless we try and if it doesn't work he likely moves on in the summer, as he would have had we not tried him at all. 

Don't see the harm in it personally, can't be any worse than some of our other options right now.

Shouldn't he have already been playing there then?

1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

I don't really get the issue, to be honest, unless you'd rather just ship him out.

Which is a fair opinion.

I don't think he's ever been a good left back, I wouldn't even want him there as back up, so may as well try him further up the pitch.

The issue is that he isn't a number 10, and it wouldn't be a genuine chance for the lad to prove himself.  He has been good at left back, and certainly looked better than Bola did last season, who seems to have blossomed this season.  He also looked bright last season when moved further forwards.  I've got no doubt he'll be shipped out.

19 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

The issue is that he isn't a number 10, and it wouldn't be a genuine chance for the lad to prove himself.  He has been good at left back, and certainly looked better than Bola did last season, who seems to have blossomed this season.  He also looked bright last season when moved further forwards.  I've got no doubt he'll be shipped out.

When was he good at left back?

We leaked goals like a sieve with him there.

36 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

When was he good at left back?

We leaked goals like a sieve with him there.

I think that's a misconception.  I'm pretty sure I put a post up during last season that showed we were actually better with him at left back, or certainly no worse, and better with him and Spence as fullbacks in the same side.  Bola has done a good job this season however so there's no question that he's earned the left back spot for the time being.  No complaints there.

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

Shouldn't he have already been playing there then?

It's one facet of playing though, playing in that position demands more than just that particular skill, you know that. Tav, Kebano, Watmore, they've all proved to some extent they can play in or around that position. And that's when we've actually played with a #10 this season which hasn't been guaranteed. He wasn't gonna get a game there when we had the plodders in a midfield 3, was he?

We've got Coulson on a long term deal, we've got Warnock here for another year, we've got 6 games left of the season to figure out what we can do with the players we'll still have next year before pre-season. There are significantly worse things we can do than try to find a place for him in the side right now before we likely make a decision on him in the summer.

I agree we're probably selling his actual qualities short and I don't expect him to play well in that position... but if he slots in there and proves us wrong, shows he can do a job there, what's the issue? The alternative is we learn nothing about him because he doesn't play and certainly doesn't play at left back because Bola is one of the first names on the team-sheet at the moment.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It's one facet of playing though, playing in that position demands more than just that particular skill, you know that. Tav, Kebano, Watmore, they've all proved to some extent they can play in or around that position. And that's when we've actually played with a #10 this season which hasn't been guaranteed. He wasn't gonna get a game there when we had the plodders in a midfield 3, was he?

We've got Coulson on a long term deal, we've got Warnock here for another year, we've got 6 games left of the season to figure out what we can do with the players we'll still have next year before pre-season. There are significantly worse things we can do than try to find a place for him in the side right now before we likely make a decision on him in the summer.

I agree we're probably selling his actual qualities short and I don't expect him to play well in that position... but if he slots in there and proves us wrong, shows he can do a job there, what's the issue? The alternative is we learn nothing about him because he doesn't play and certainly doesn't play at left back because Bola is one of the first names on the team-sheet at the moment.

Of course I know that, and so does Warnock.

Playing someone in a position that doesn't suit them, in the hope that it somehow might suit them, seems barmy to me.  The alternative would be to play him in a position that does suit him, but we do seem to struggle with that concept at this football club.  I suppose we'll have to see what the team looks like for this one.

• Like 2
  • Downsouth changed the title to Barnsley v Boro 2-0