oneBoro Forum

22 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Either that or they had the idea, but then were completely clueless as to how to implement it properly.

Its all very well having an idea, but in order for it to work, you then have to draw up a detailed plan of what needs to happen and who is going to do which tasks. Stuff like costs and timelines also usually figure in there somewhere.

We heard a lot about the idea, but very little about its execution.

If they wanted Boro to be the English Ajax, maybe sending someone over to talk to the club and look at their methods might have helped? 🤷‍♂️

For the record, I really wish it had worked. I would have loved to see our academy finally fulfilling its intended purpose of turning out youngsters good enough to step into the first team and push the club onwards, instead of paying over the odds for big name players who probably don't really want to be there.

I think the fact that Bevington left within months of that woodgate press conference and then woodgate was replaced with Warnock a couple of months after that shows that it was likely a difference in philosophy between the chairman and him. I could be wrong but knowing the personality of Gibson it just seems that that was how it probably went. 

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When? Saturday 10th April, 15:00 Where? Oakwell, somewhere in South Yorkshire So. Barnsley. Flat caps, whippets, ecky thump, eeh by gum tha's gonna be a reet tricky game.  Mai

Warnock is a manger/coach who won't admit that he's got it wrong bringing Bettinelli in, we al know the keepers wrong for us and nobodies convincing me the coaching staff don't know that either, stubb

It shouldn't read like it's coming from the MFC website though.  This is something I copied from there as well: 'The game wasn’t one for the purists. Barnsley’s assault on the play-off places has

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Ha ha No I was the one who was shaking his head at the comment! Would be good to get your opinions on the station 👍👍.

I was the one who was blasting Warnock 

Do you have a link? You probably posted it earlier but I'm very lazy 

27 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I think the fact that Bevington left within months of that woodgate press conference and then woodgate was replaced with Warnock a couple of months after that shows that it was likely a difference in philosophy between the chairman and him. I could be wrong but knowing the personality of Gibson it just seems that that was how it probably went. 

Ha! Yes - Warnock doesn't strike me as a "Golden Thread" kind of guy. I guess the idea had to be abandoned once he was brought in.

But other clubs have made similar philosophies work for them and I'd hope it is resurrected in the near future. Though maybe, as you say, our chairman and board simply aren't smart enough to see the benefits.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

Just watched and i agree with alot that has been said on there. You can't argue that since Christmas we have been absolutely appalling. 

Yeah that is what i tried getting across really because i think a lot fans are hoping it clicks together next season because its his last season in the game. People are claiming this isn't Warnock's team, However it has been his team since Christmas and for me, thats when we have performed the worst which is worrying.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Yeah that is what i tried getting across really because i think a lot fans are hoping it clicks together next season because its his last season in the game. People are claiming this isn't Warnock's team, However it has been his team since Christmas and for me, thats when we have performed the worst which is worrying.

I think you and the guy called Guesty? Were talking how alot of us feel deep down. I can see us having a similar season but it's gonna be very ugly to watch i think if results don't come it'll turn sour again very very quickly, the fans won't put up with no shots on target at home and just be silent. He has signed plenty of players yet the ones who have impressed are the likes of Watmore, Bola, Dijksteel, Hall,Fry,Tav, Mcnair, Morsy. So realistically two players from that list above  Watmore  and Morsy, the rest were already here What about Betenelli, Laing, Bolasie, Kebano, Roberts, Akpom? 

Edited by Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

I think you and the guy called Guesty? Were talking how alot of us feel deep down. I can see us having a similar season but it's gonna be very ugly to watch i think if results don't come it'll turn sour again very very quickly, the fans won't put up with no shots on target at home and just be silent. He has signed plenty of players yet the ones who have impressed are the likes of Watmore, Bola, Dijksteel, Hall,Fry,Tav, Mcnair, Morsy. So realistically two players from that list above  Watmore  and Morsy, the rest were already here What about Betenelli, Laing, Bolasie, Kebano, Roberts, Akpom? 

Yeah I couldn't agree more.

I believe Warnock has too many options to know what to do with since January and that's cost us. I don't think it's necessarily the players not being good enough, I just think Warnock's style suits those players and that's what worries me for next season. I see players like Hoillett and Matt Smith joining us and going extremely direct.

He lost a lot of credit from me when he came out and slaughtered Akpom in the press and claiming it was recruitment video analysis fault. 

Just think it's going to be Pulis all over again without getting the results. When you pick up wins fans tolerate it, but soon as they stop then fans will get on his back.

• Like 2

I really really hope we have a good start at home especially as expect their to be a full houses for the first few games back if allowed by government. The club has got to play entertainingly football that is winning in order to benefit and keep the fans coming back. As otherwise if we play this hardly any shots on target football that ends in losses the crowds will be back at the 13k-15k in a few months. 😬 

12 hours ago, DurhamRed said:

I really really hope we have a good start at home especially as expect their to be a full houses for the first few games back if allowed by government. The club has got to play entertainingly football that is winning in order to benefit and keep the fans coming back. As otherwise if we play this hardly any shots on target football that ends in losses the crowds will be back at the 13k-15k in a few months. 😬 

Sadly I don't see next season being much different from this one. Especially since I doubt Warnock will be able to recruit significantly better players, to replace those leaving.

I expect we will continue to set up to play direct football, with forwards who aren't really suited to it. Our midfield will continue to struggle to exert any control and as a result we will create few chances per game.

Even more annoyingly I'm sure NW will continue to have his favourites he'll pick game after game, even if its glaringly obviously they aren't performing.

As to the crowds, I don't know how badly the pandemic has hit people's jobs and finances in the area, but I'd imagine many will prioritise other things over football. Especially if they've been watching this season on TV. I don't think many would fancy shelling out for tickets, or spending time travelling to and from games...unless they live close by. Picking a figure out of thin air, I'd guess crowds will be around 10-12k...unless performances and results show a marked improvement.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

As to the crowds, I don't know how badly the pandemic has hit people's jobs and finances in the area, but I'd imagine many will prioritise other things over football. Especially if they've been watching this season on TV. I don't think many would fancy shelling out for tickets, or spending time travelling to and from games...unless they live close by. Picking a figure out of thin air, I'd guess crowds will be around 10-12k...unless performances and results show a marked improvement.

Finances and people's response to the pandemic are definitely things that will drive the numbers and it really remains to be seen how that will affect things, completely agree with that.

I think there's more a feel of really missing being at the football, though. There's the odd person, like those on here, who won't be going back because of Warnock, sure. But from personal experience of fans outside of this forum, the general feel around Warnock is really positive, people seem to really like him and want to follow him into battle, as it were. That usually translates to bums on seats.

For arguments sake, when Pulis was in charge, things were really bad, I don't think he ever really earned much love from the fans and things got worse and worse over time. But the average attendance across his last season is 23k. The final 5 games, the average was only 500 less than that.

Even under Woodgate, the average was 16.5k and that is, for some reason according to TransferMarkt, inclusive of the games where we literally had nobody in the ground because of the pandemic. It was just under 20k without those 4 games. So to expect crowds of 10-12k if everything is opened up fully under Warnock would be a significant loss in fans that, for me, has to pretty much all come from losing fans to the effects of the pandemic, not the football.

• Like 2

Hmm...probably was under-estimating. Boro seem to have a hardcore fanbase of around 10-12k (at home games, at least), so I guess its reasonable to expect another 4-6k on top of that.

• Like 1