oneBoro Forum

Un productive and crass throw in's

Remember when many of us complained about our corner and free kicks and how ost of the time they came to nothing and well were pretty poor standard wise I now believe we have a far bigger problem in that how naff and useless our throw in's seem to be.

Although I have been moaning and stating the fact most games and thankful that others seem to agree I was saddened to hear that even Maddo refered to it in yesterday's game, if he can see it tehn others must be able to as well?

But they are are they not? usually a combo of the same 3 players involved and 9 times out of 10 nothing but nothing comes of it, no advantages no progress made turning advantage into progress for the oppositionand more times than not with the ball going back to the goalie.

What surprises me the most is the poor ball control so many of our players show from a short distance eiher controlling it as the ball comes to them and then the ability to distribute in an accurate way.

What can be done and is this now a factor of our game that other teams are aware of?

• Like 2

I didn't think it was possible but Boro seem to have hit a new low. It just boggles the mind when you see players that can't even take throw-ins properly.

I wonder if its just another symptom of our end-of-season malaise, or if there are deeper, more serious issues in the training regime.

There does seem to be a real laxness about our play that you don't often see with other teams. It is so frustrating to see maybe just 2 or 3 players really trying, while the rest are barely more than onlookers (or in some cases just really hopeless).

We just lack any sort of invention at any set piece really. When was the last time we put a decent freekick routine together, that didn't involve lumping it into the box or having a shot directly?

I seem to recall us scoring a very clever goal from a freekick under AK, maybe against Bolton or Birmingham?

• Like 1

And goal kicks. Has Bettinelli ever found a Boro player, rather than gifting possession to the opposition either directly or indirectly (through a resulting throw-in after the ball ends up in the stands)?

2 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

And goal kicks. Has Bettinelli ever found a Boro player, rather than gifting possession to the opposition either directly or indirectly (through a resulting throw-in after the ball ends up in the stands)?

To be fair to bettinelli, when you're told to only ever kick the ball out into the oppositions half, you're going to fail to find our players more often than you'll find them (simple maths and physics- defenders tend to be taller than our strikers, there are less attackers than defenders). However there aren't many excuses to be made for the frequency with which he hits the ball straight out of play under no pressure. 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

To be fair to bettinelli, when you're told to only ever kick the ball out into the oppositions half, you're going to fail to find our players more often than you'll find them (simple maths and physics- defenders tend to be taller than our strikers, there are less attackers than defenders). However there aren't many excuses to be made for the frequency with which he hits the ball straight out of play under no pressure. 

Randolph at least had an excuse on goal-kicks, he used to do it a fair bit under Pulis. But then Pulis was literally asking him to target Shotton on the right-hand side or to target so far to the line that we were hoping a defender would just come in and get a touch on it so Shotton could try his 'getting up the line' throw-in routine. 

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

Randolph at least had an excuse on goal-kicks, he used to do it a fair bit under Pulis. But then Pulis was literally asking him to target Shotton on the right-hand side or to target so far to the line that we were hoping a defender would just come in and get a touch on it so Shotton could try his 'getting up the line' throw-in routine. 

I fell asleep reading this. No reflection on you!

• Haha 1
On 4/11/2021 at 1:16 PM, DanFromDownSouth said:

I seem to recall us scoring a very clever goal from a freekick under AK, maybe against Bolton or Birmingham?

This was the freekick I was thinking of, was against Birmingham but it didn't result in a goal. But we desperately miss this sort of set piece creativity.