oneBoro Forum

Boro V QPR 1-2 (Bolasie)

1644945019_Screenshot2021-04-16at10_04_24.png.ebb4a5218d21691dc7efc2c258a2aec8.png

MFC v QPR, Friday 17th April 2021

Kick Off: 12.30

"Tenth versus Eleventh... Will we see a major swapping of places in the league?"

This Saturday, an early kick off showcases a dramatic limp towards the end of the season for two teams that may have harboured promotion hopes at the start of the season. The kick off time was rescheduled following the sudden death of Prince Phillip the Duke of Edinburgh, so as not to clash with his funeral.

There really isn't a great deal to play for, for either side in this one. We could swap places in the league. We could try and get some winning momentum to take into next season. We could play some of the kids, see if they are any good. To me, this season now feels a bit like the last few weeks at school before the summer holidays. You've already had your report, the weather is getting better and it doesn't really matter what you do now as it's not going to make much difference. Fresh start next year!

Fry and Tavernier are still unavailable for this one. Assombalonga's brief cameo at Bournemouth probably didn't do him any favours for the rest of the season or next. It looks likely that we might see Josh Coburn given some game time before the end of the season. He's a striker and looking like he might be a good one for the future, may as well see what he can do now! 

No doubting that our woefully inept loanee keeper will be given another chance to demonstrate his lack of ability. He reminds me of an outfield player who has had to play in goal because the proper keeper got sent off or injured during the game. I keep find myself thinking "a real keeper would've done better..." a lot. 

VIEW FROM THE OTHER SIDE

A quick look and I found this here. Basically of the same opinion as most of us. Nothing to play for. Give the reserves a chance. etc. etc.

FOOT IN BOTH CAMPS

Give us a goal John O'Rourke played for the hoops after leaving Boro in the 70's

Mickel Beck joined QPR on loan from Derby after leaving Boro in the 90's

Warnock saved from relegation then guided QPR to the Premiership in the 00's.

TALKING POINTS

Meh...

• Like 5
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just because Norwich have got promoted again under the same manager doesn't change that sacking Karanka was the right call that, if anything, was made too late. The atmosphere Farke has had throughout

All-seater stadium? Bloody luxury! When I were a lad we had to sit on cold concrete steps and be grateful! 30k crowds for Premier League fixtures? I remember when Boro played in front of two blok

Posted Images

The absence of posts really says it all, doesn't it?

I know we've been in worse form in the past, but I can't remember such apathy and indifference surrounding the Boro before. 

Even if everyone knows kick off has been brought forward tomorrow, I doubt many people will be paying much attention. I know I won't. I'd rather spend time with my family than spend half the afternoon listening to Boro going through the motions. Badly.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

I know we've been in worse form in the past, but I can't remember such apathy and indifference surrounding the Boro before. 

Even if everyone knows kick off has been brought forward tomorrow, I doubt many people will be paying much attention. I know I won't. I'd rather spend time with my family than spend half the afternoon listening to Boro going through the motions. Badly.

I think the end of pulis's reign was worse for apathy. As much as I dislike warnock, pulis was on a whole other level of negativity. 

• Like 4

Hopefully we might see a few opportunities handed out to the youngsters who haven't broken through yet and to those that lost their place and have something to prove.

After his debut day hat trick we might be drooling over the Gazette's back page headline "Coburn Cock of the North" (slightly plagiaristic play on name from the John Wayne movie with a slight spelling difference).  How about "Sweet symphony from Hayden" (another slight spelling abuse). Or in between the sticks it could be "it's Solvite with Brynn".

I'll get me coat..........

39 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

This is the first season in many years where we've had nothing to play for at this point.

I'm looking forward to watching it even though it'll be on my phone outside a restaurant.

1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

I think the end of pulis's reign was worse for apathy. As much as I dislike warnock, pulis was on a whole other level of negativity. 

With Pulis there was discontent starting to bubble away, it had passed the simmering stage. With Warnock it's resigned apathy and rolling of eyes when we see Bettinelli in the line up yet again. If the fans are back in next season that is likely to change very quickly if it starts the way this one has ended especially if one or two are retained or worse still signed!

1 minute ago, Redcar Rioja said:

With Pulis there was discontent starting to bubble away, it had passed the simmering stage. With Warnock it's resigned apathy and rolling of eyes when we see Bettinelli in the line up yet again. If the fans are back in next season that is likely to change very quickly if it starts the way this one has ended especially if one or two are retained or worse still signed!

Makes me wonder if we'd see booing from the fans again as the players are announced...

Did that happen under Pulis or was it another manager?

51 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

I'm seriously considering whether to bother watching. My gut feeling is it'll be a tepid 0-0 since neither team has anything to play for and I'm guessing the players will be more concerned about avoiding injuries.

I genuinely think watching Prince Phil's funeral procession will be more entertaining... 

Zeus Reaction GIF by SWR3

29 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

If we start like we've been since January Warnock will be gone by Christmas and we'll be in a relegation battle. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
48 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

If we start like we've been since January Warnock will be gone by Christmas and we'll be in a relegation battle. 

Since January, we've been more mid-table than relegation form. Whether you take that as being from the start or end of January, we're either in 12th or 15th, 5-8 points from the relegation zones , 9-10 points from the play-offs. We've definitely got worse since that time but it's not nearly as significant as relegation form, relative to the rest of the teams in the division.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

This is the first season in many years where we've had nothing to play for at this point.

I'm looking forward to watching it even though it'll be on my phone outside a restaurant.

First year since Karanka's first season, if I'm recalling it correctly, quite a significant sum of time yeah. Since then we've battled for automatics or play-offs most seasons and twice trying to avoid relegation, once in this division and once in the PL.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

Agree with this and considering the above, we still had something to play for under Pulis. Mad that this doesn't feel anywhere near as bad as that time.

• Like 1

Since Jan BORO under NW has been a damp squib that made a COVID New Year seem like joyful carnival fun filled celebration. 
I have seriously lost interest and tomorrow I am going to spend time looking for something else entertaining.  

sexy traci lords GIF by RETRO-FIEND

11 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

I have seriously lost interest and tomorrow I am going to spend time looking for something else entertaining.  

If only there was someone on this forum who could post links to interesting online content...

• Haha 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Boro V QPR 1-2 (Bolasie)