oneBoro Forum

Rotherham vs Boro 1-2 (Saville, Akpom)

Just now, wilsoncgp said:

That quote is literally not blaming all the players, though. He's explicitly talking about 2 or 3 players. He's absolving himself of blame, of course he is, but he's not pinning it on the entirety of the squad. He's talking about those players. AR is asking if he's talking about the majority of the squad. He's not.

The second quote, from today, says we are awful - we can't defend and we can't score. The two quotes combined certainly makes it look like it's the majority of the squad he's unhappy with, since those are the two things football is essentially about.

But yes, my main point is his trying to absolve himself of all blame and throwing whoever he can in front of that bus instead. 

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm desperate for us to win this, but yeah, a Rotherham win would put them a point behind Derby with 2 games in hand, they could do it. Derby and Sheffield Wednesday both going down would be a be

Genuine guy is Marv. Stand out player in 1st half of the season. Very unlucky to not have been involved more. Loves it at Boro.

Malley has very nice feet. Looks hard to deal with in possession  

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

The second quote, from today, says we are awful - we can't defend and we can't score. The two quotes combined certainly makes it look like it's the majority of the squad he's unhappy with, since those are the two things football is essentially about.

But yes, my main point is his trying to absolve himself of all blame and throwing whoever he can in front of that bus instead. 

Listen to the actual interview, it's far less negative and defeatist than the quote by itself makes it sound.

It's no different to fans on social media.

I'm not a fan of the pessimism, but it's a fact that we've continuously made defensive mistakes and squandered big chances for months on end. 

15 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Listen to the actual interview, it's far less negative and defeatist than the quote by itself makes it sound.

I'm not a fan of the pessimism, but it's a fact that we've continuously made defensive mistakes and squandered big chances for months on end. 

Well it is different because it's our manager, he can actually do something about it whereas the fans cannot. And it's not isolated instances, he's been digging the boot in wherever he can all season really, and been extremely negative since Bournemouth in particular. All while not saying anything about his own performances as manager, despite being the main reason for our form. 

2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Well it is different because it's our manager, he can actually do something about it whereas the fans cannot. And it's not isolated instances, he's been digging the boot in wherever he can all season really, and been extremely negative since Bournemouth in particular. All while not saying anything about his own performances as manager, despite being the main reason for our form. 

To a point, but he can't make the team defend better. A lot of the goals we've conceded are from individual cock ups, they have nothing to do with NW. 

Sure he could change the way we play which overall might help, but he can't physically make players stop making the mistakes they're making..

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Brunners said:

To a point, but he can't make the team defend better. A lot of the goals we've conceded are from individual cock ups, they have nothing to do with NW. 

Sure he could change the way we play which overall might help, but he can't physically make players stop making the mistakes they're making..

Why are they making mistakes though? Warnock has had no end of praise for McNair and hall (and fry before that). Fisher was his signing, he loves Bola. He never stops praising howson in front of those guys. So he clearly has no problem with the quality of his defensive players. So do they keep making mistakes because they're not mentally prepared enough? Because they're not cohesive enough as a unit? Because they don't understand their actual roles and what they're meant to be doing? All this comes back to the manager rather than the individual qualities of the players. 

Look at ayala and Gibson in a woodgate/monk side Vs how rock solid they were in the karanka set up. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Why are they making mistakes though?

Thats the million dollar question, isn't it?

There does seem to be a fair amount of double-speak coming from the manager. On the one hand he says he's happy with the majority of the players, but then says we're lacking quality after matches (usually when we lose).

Are they showing well in training, but then playing like donkeys on game day?

Some games it looks like they don't do any training at all.

Players usually perform well when they're happy with the management, coaching and how they are being asked to play.

My own theory is that there is a fair amount of discontent throughout the squad on all three counts.

I'd also add that probably half our squad are sub-par for what we need for a solid promotion push next season, even when playing to the best of their ability.

In a nutshell there's all sorts of possible reasons, but as usual we won't find out until after he leaves.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't think he was saying it about the majority of the squad, he was going on about the 3 or 4 players who think he's the problem which was possibly related to the 'clique' comments he made. But that's probably because those 3 or 4 aren't on board with him right now, for whatever reason that is. It's not like he's wandering the halls of Rockliffe a lonely man, he still seems to have the majority of the dressing room on his side from his point of view.

They don't seem to be playing like it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

It's completely different.  He's the manager, fans on social media are just that.  There's a world of difference between how their comments will be taken.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Seriously?

No really, seriously? This is the take you're going with?

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Seriously?

No really, seriously? This is the take you're going with?

Yeah.

A poster who has consistently taken issue with virtually every press conference Warnock has ever given for us took issue with yet another quote.

The actual interview is far less negative than the quote makes it sound.

Warnock was bemoaning the fact that we'd struggle to win again if we kept letting in daft goals, not crying that we're terrible and we have no chance of winning.

If anything, it's far less negative than our fans can be on social media given some of you lot seem to genuinely believe we're going to lose in every game.

I don't think it was a wise comment from him, but the audio puts it in a different context than the quote.

Edited by TeaCider24
3 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Yeah.

A poster who has consistently taken issue with virtually every press conference Warnock has ever given for us took issue with yet another quote.

The actual interview is far less negative than the quote makes it sound.

Warnock was bemoaning the fact that we'd struggle to win again if we kept letting in daft goals, not crying that we're terrible and we have no chance of winning.

If anything, it's far less negative than our fans can be on social media given some of you lot seem to genuinely believe we're going to lose.in every game.

The quote was word for word mate. He could have said that with sunshine and lollypops and he's still criticising his team while taking no responsibility himself. If it was one off I wouldn't take issue, but it's not. It's been constant, even when we weren't in such terrible form any time we lost it was because he wished he had the oppositions strikers instead of the ones we still have to try to get the best out of the rest of the season. 

Purely and simply it's terrible man management on the face of it, and the declining results is proving that it is having a negative effect on the team. So yeah, I'm gonna keep calling him out on it. You can just ignore it instead of using it as a way of taking a dig at our fans. 

1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

The quote was word for word mate. He could have said that with sunshine and lollypops and he's still criticising his team while taking no responsibility himself. If it was one off I wouldn't take issue, but it's not. It's been constant, even when we weren't in such terrible form any time we lost it was because he wished he had the oppositions strikers instead of the ones we still have to try to get the best out of the rest of the season. 

Purely and simply it's terrible man management on the face of it, and the declining results is proving that it is having a negative effect on the team. So yeah, I'm gonna keep calling him out on it. You can just ignore it instead of using it as a way of taking a dig at our fans. 

I wasn't using it as a way of taking a dig, I assumed you'd not actually listened to the interview, given you commented on a press quote before the interview had actually been released to the public.

But I suppose it doesn't matter either way with you.

I read the same quote and was shocked at how negative it came across, listened to the interview and it was far less so.

Edited by TeaCider24
  • Downsouth changed the title to Rotherham vs Boro 1-2 (Saville, Akpom)
  • Downsouth locked this topic
  • Downsouth unlocked this topic