oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 (Bolasie, Coburn, Watmore)

6 hours ago, Brunners said:

Or we can just let him do what he's good at and cover for his deficiencies, Howson/Morsy/Saville can all do that defensive stuff we can let Malley just be great on the ball, I don't want to turn Malley into another cautious, defensive minded midfielder!

We have the wrong manager for that unfortunately.

I'd love to see Malley start the last few games. No downside to it really? He reminds me a bit of when Wing first came into the team. Hopefully with his background of coming through the academies he can be a little more polished than Wing and push on. 

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wish the crowd had been there for him! Would have been even more special then.

With these youngsters ... And if we can keep Bolasie and Kebab ... Plus add a few extra players ... I am looking forward to next season ... I know a lot of you are not, but that's not gonna spoil my o

Just for a minute imagine being in Josh Coburn's head at the moment. You are 18 years old, your gaffer has the belief in you to put you into the first team and you score with your speciality a header,

Posted Images

10 hours ago, p_mards said:

700313870_Screenshot(236)_LI.thumb.jpg.baa3e01ebd5f027cd8df85c4f93984f6.jpg1920593377_Screenshot(237)_LI.thumb.jpg.d82b2996c4ff7e30ee9ab597dc037104.jpg896570078_Screenshot(238)_LI.thumb.jpg.d4eeed99dc6583dbd49b547c367693f0.jpg

Malley done really well on the ball against Rotherham and I'm delighted for him. However, we've been here so many times with a young lad putting in one good performance against a weak opposition and then there's an expectancy for him to be a first team regular. We need to appreciate that Malley was fortunate to play against a technically poor opposition that was down to ten men and is a technically poor, so his defensive weaknesses weren't going to be exposed too much, which is supposedly why Warnock, Woodgate and his 2 loan managers haven't played Malley much.

There was one particular moment that shows Malley's weakness of protecting the defence from the Boro official highlights between 1:02:33 to1:02:40 on the following link: https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/full-90-rotherham-united-v-boro. I have screenshotted it above. Look at how Saville - who I have circled in red - has to cover for Malley. You can see Malley doesn't drop back to cover for McNair when Rotherham's number 17 is taking him on. Saville even points towards the danger but Malley doesn't see it. Then Rotherham's number 17 then beats McNair but thankfully Saville gets across to put in a vital block that Malley really should have been there for. Saville covers well over 20 yards, whereas Malley moves barely 5 yards. That was against a ten man Rotherham; He's going to have to improve himself defensively if he's going to have a chance of being solid enough to be in a Boro team against a 11 man Norwich or Bournemouth who play attack-minded, fluid, overlapping football that's going to ask serious questions of our defensive shape. I really hope Warnock can coach the defensive side of the game into Malley as he certainly has some huge positives to add to us in possession.

It looks to me like Malley stuck with his man (1st frame and last frame) and didn't leave him unmarked to fire in had the ball come across to him. Granted Saville did spot the danger and sprinted across and maybe with more games together Malley would have sprinted across knowing that Saville would then pick up his man but there is a bigger question of could Kebano (who looked to be jogging rather than sprinting) have got back quicker to cover Paddy which is his responsibility in that wide right role. An intuitive understanding between Saville (or any other Player for that matter) and Malley will take time to develop. To me the lad stuck to his task, even in the middle frame his body language was facing the Player with the ball shielding. Leaving Players unmarked in the box has been our undoing many times this season.

• Like 1

Big game today and I’m quite excited for it. North Somerset v Bristol inner city U16

After that it would seem the Boro are playing in a end of season dead rubber. The only importance I can place on it is that we may be able to put a nail in Sheff Wednesday’s coffin. 

would like to see a blend of old heads and some promising youth. I hope Bolasie plays well too give him reason to believe that it’s worth coming back here again next season and please, please keep Bettenelli away from the team

• Haha 1

This game with all that is entwined with it could fall into the catagory of a seldom used phrase of mine and one which I admit has nothing to do with Boro for the rest of the season but I wanted one last shout out.

For Sheff Wed this is THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME OF THE SEASON...............so far!!!

Lose it and they are screwed and relegated I believe.

Going to be a real battle and hopefully NW knows that he owes the rest of the league a battling Boro team.

Could be a real entertaing game and a good match to watch for neutrals

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, mj south said:

Does anyone know if we will be seeing Fry or Tav again this season or are there injuries going to keep them out?

Not going to be rushed back until the Summer training program ready for next season according to NW. 

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, mj south said:

Does anyone know if we will be seeing Fry or Tav again this season or are there injuries going to keep them out?

He intimated that he won’t rush them back so I would guess that means we won’t see them again this season 

I'm in a quandary.

I want to watch this game, but knowing my luck, if I do Boro will manage to lose. The other thing being that this is  a game most of us desperately want them to win.

Didn't really care about Rotherham and didn't watch. What happens? We win.

Its enough to make one paranoid...it really is...

I like the games against Sheffield Wednesday as I used to be a regular back in the 60s

I remember watching "bronco" Layne, Kay and Peter Swan.  anyone remember the match fixing scandal ?  Ron Springett in goal.  I'd seen him a few years earlier when he played for QPR in the third division south.  they were quite a good side in those days

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I'm in a quandary.

I want to watch this game, but knowing my luck, if I do Boro will manage to lose. The other thing being that this is  a game most of us desperately want them to win.

Didn't really care about Rotherham and didn't watch. What happens? We win.

Its enough to make one paranoid...it really is...

I’m going down the pub with a few mates, Im sure that it will be far more entertaining than the game. 

• Downsouth changed the title to Boro vs Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 (Bolasie, Coburn, Watmore)