oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 (Bolasie, Coburn, Watmore)

1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

Been out all weekend and way too lazy to read through the whole thread.

Would anyone be a saint and summarise the game for me? How we played, who impressed, who didn't?

Cheers in advance!

Poor first half (both teams), much better second half - Played with more attacking intent. 

Coburn a good focal point when he came on. Bolasie was quick and powerful - stole the ball well for his goal, ran into the box and smashed it in (with the help of a deflection mind). Hall did well too. 

Can't think of anyone who was particularly poor. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wish the crowd had been there for him! Would have been even more special then.

With these youngsters ... And if we can keep Bolasie and Kebab ... Plus add a few extra players ... I am looking forward to next season ... I know a lot of you are not, but that's not gonna spoil my o

Just for a minute imagine being in Josh Coburn's head at the moment. You are 18 years old, your gaffer has the belief in you to put you into the first team and you score with your speciality a header,

Posted Images

Would anyone be a saint and summarise the game for me? How we played, who impressed, who didn't?

Cheers in advance!

This is off the top of my head and typed quickly so I'm sure there will be inaccuracies.

It was a simply awful first half by both sides. You could have thrown a football into Bambi and his mates on an ice rink, and they'd have shown better ability to retain possession and technical quality. Our opening goal came courtesy of Bolasie intelligently pouncing on a heavy first touch by Borner to sprint past him and strike the ball via a deflection into the top corner. Sheffield Wednesday then won a penalty via Andre Green driving at McNair and beating him far too easily only to then coax Bola into dangling out a foot out which he then tried to pull back, but he caught him and it was enough for the referee to blow to the spot. It was really poor defending by us. Windass took the penalty to equalise 1-1.

Second half was pretty similar to the first half initially but then perked up. Sheffield Wednesday had a gilt edge chance on about 55 minutes when Windass got played into a 1 on 1 position from the edge of the penalty box, only for him to drag it across goal and wide. He should have undoubtedly done a lot better with such a clear cut chance. If that went in then I doubt we'd have won. Cobern then came off the bench to replace Akpom.  He made an instant impact to get an excellent header on the end of an equally high quality cross from Kebano who played a short corner with Johnson. It was a proper targetmans goal. The third goal came courtesy of another corner. This time the corner taken directly by McNair that was nodded down by Bolasie, which bobbled into Watmore's path who toed the ball into the back of the net. Jordan Rhodes came off the bench late on and had a clear header from 8 yards out, but directed it straight at Archer in goal.

3-1 appears a comfortable win and we deserved to win on the balance of chances created, however, it would have been a totally different game if Windass converted his glorious chance at 1-1 on about 55 minutes. Bolasie done really well and was my man of the match with his goal, assist and always looked our most dangerous outlet on the few times we won the ball in dangerous areas higher up the pitch. Grant Hall deserves a mention too as he put in a great performance to help us win a scrappy game. Coburn done well to convert his chance but also dealing with Sheffield Wednesday's physical defenders.

• Like 3

Cheers in advance!

The first half was a bit non existent for me. Second was better. Overall game was not great if am honest but always happy when we bag 3pts

Bolasie was our best performer in my view. Hall also did well. Coburn took the headlines obviously.

Archer pulled off a great save from Reach a minute before half time when game was 1-1. I personally thought that was a key moment but seems Archer did not get plaudits he maybe deserved for that in media.

• Like 1
On 4/25/2021 at 5:49 AM, AnglianRed said:

While clinically slaughtering the entire opposition team might guarantee more wins, I think the FA might take issue with it...

john wick lionsgate GIF by John Wick: Chapter 2

No, Our man flint would be the better option. More suave and sophisticated.

spacer.png

Bolasie and McNair making it into team of the week, I honestly thought McNair had a poor game, certainly by his standards, but WhoScored thought he was by some margin our best defender. Perhaps more about his contribution at the other end of the pitch, I guess.

33 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Bolasie and McNair making it into team of the week, I honestly thought McNair had a poor game, certainly by his standards, but WhoScored thought he was by some margin our best defender. Perhaps more about his contribution at the other end of the pitch, I guess.

yeah was coming here to say this, McNair surprises me! Has to be the assist that has pushed him up there, thought Hall was the more defensively solid of the two of them.

• Like 1