oneBoro Forum

oneBoro Player of the Season 2020/21

oneBoro Player of the Season 2020/21  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your Player of the Season for 2020/21?

• Anfernee Dijksteel
    • Grant Hall
    • Dael Fry
    • Paddy McNair
    • Marc Bola
    • Marvin Johnson
    • Sam Morsy
    • Marcus Tavernier
    • Yannick Bolasie
    • Jonny Howson
    • Neeskens Kebano
    • George Saville
    • Duncan Watmore
    • Other

Whilst we've had a very meh season on the whole, we have seen some good individual displays. Who do you think has been our best player this season?

Anfernee Dijksteel

Started the season really well, looked much stronger and more focused than his time under Woodgate but unfortunately had his season put back by a couple of injuries, including the one that ended his season in early March at Swansea. Seems to be the outstanding candidate for the right-back spot going into next-season or on the right of a three at the back. He's also Neil Warnock's favourite, for what it's worth!

Grant Hall

Started the season with some iffy displays before being another to suffer from a bad injury at his old club QPR. Came back stronger eventually though after being forced into the side a bit due to injuries to Fry and Dijksteel and perhaps had a better end to the season than a few of our defenders. Managed to grab a goal in two wins at Coventry and at home to Stoke.

Dael Fry

His best season in a Boro shirt? Yet another player to miss a decent chunk of the season through injury, including every game since 20th March. But seemed to make a good partnership alongside McNair and particularly when sat in the middle of the 3. Scored his first Boro goal as a late consolation in the 3-1 defeat at home to Bristol City.

Paddy McNair

After being a cameo right-back under Pulis and a box-to-box midfielder/sweeper under Woodgate, he's played most this season on the left of a 2 or a 3 at the back. Seemed to start better than he ended the season from a defensive perspective but the only player for us to start every game this season. Spent some of the later season in midfield and across the whole season, chipped in with 2 goals and 7 assists. Known by Neil Maddison as Paddy de Bruyne, his deliveries this season have improved and have helped cement him as the team's top assister and joint 2nd on the individual goal contributions for us this season.

Marc Bola

The happiest left-back in the world, Bola has improved tenfold from his appearances last season and understandably, Warnock says he wouldn't swap him for any other left-back in the division, shown by him being an almost ever-present this season. Even when playing in a back 4, Bola has sometimes ran the left-wing by himself. The disappointment comes in the lack of assists but he did score a goal-of-the-season contender at Reading as well as another cracking strike that was disallowed at Swansea.

Marvin Johnson

The best bang average footballer in the team, Johnson seemed to be set to be Warnock's left-back choice early in the season before Bola made the place his own. Instead, he was allowed to play further up the pitch in a position he found more joy with in the early days of Woodgate's season and managed to get some joy out of it. Joint with Paddy on the goal contributions having scored 4 and assisted 5. Despite not starting every game, he managed to make an appearance in 43 games this season and has perhaps been more useful than some would concede.

Sam Morsy

Possibly the one signing going into the season that Boro fans were excited about, he came with an excellent reputation having captained Wigan for 3 years and having finished as their Player of the Year last season. Industrious and strong but also edgy and had a way of working himself into the book from odd situations. Still, he provided a goal and 5 assists and added some bite to a midfield that was lacking after Adam Clayton's departure. A player opposition fans probably love to hate.

Marcus Tavernier

Yet more improvement on the previous season for Tav but another one who suffered from injury issues throughout. Worked hard to be a creative influence in a team that was sorely lacking it, particularly before the arrival of Bolasie and Kebano he seemed to be the one player you could hope to rely on to make something happen. Finished with 4 goals, a couple of crackers in there in contention for goal-of-the-season, and 4 assists across his 31 appearances.

Yannick Bolasie

Finally arrived on Teesside after a couple of missed opportunities to sign him in the past and whilst he didn't arrive with aplomb, he slowly worked his fitness levels up and made some decent attacking contributions. More tricks than Paul Daniels up his sleeve though sometimes not coming to much. He managed to help ease our goal-scoring struggles across his 15 games with 3 goals and 3 assists to his name in the end.

Jonny Howson

Personally not my cup of tea this season but he took the hit when clique-y Britt dropped the armband. Often sat at the base of midfield trying to clean up from the errors happening in front of him, playing the role many had expected Morsy to play and according to Warnock he could still play at the top-level in that position.

Neeskens Kebano

Another tricky winger who joined on loan in January, Kebano came with a reputation for class at the right end of the pitch and boy did he show it at times. Where it not for our lack of presence in the box (😉) then the lad may have set up a hatful from open play, he played well across the attacking midfield roles but seemed to excel in taking on full-backs. Scored his only goal at Pride Park before grabbing a few assists at the end of the season.

George Saville

It may come as a surprise but George Saville is a goal-scoring midfielder! He signed after having scored 10 for Millwall in the previous season and this is the most he's scored since or before that year with 6 goals to his name. He's played a lot this year and according to WhoScored, he had 5 man of the match performances from October to November. Perhaps stronger and more tenacious than his physique lets on, he has looked to improve since his first season as a Boro player under Pulis.

Duncan Watmore

Having been let go by Sunderland last summer, Watmore seemed like yet another former youth star who would go on to be one whose career was destroyed by injuries. Brought in on an initial trial, he has been a breath of fresh air and the only forward who has managed to come out of this season with much credit regarding his goal tally, scoring 9. His additional assist makes him top scorer and top goal contributer. A hard-worker who stretches defences, he's got a bit of pace, skill and an eye for goal. He also scored what will probably end up being the goal-of-the-season against Huddersfield having picked up the ball deep on the right-wing, done 2 players, one of those twice, before smashing a weak-foot effort into the far corner.

Other?

Maybe you disagree with this fairly large selection and actually want Dejan Stojanovic to win POTY!

• Like 1
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bettinelli for me he would have been much better if they were 5 a side goals and no shooting inside the area but the goals were just too big this season.

Bola for me. Was a total forgotten man but up until the last few weeks when he definitely dropped, he was giving us solid 7/8 out of 10 performances every week.  Djiksteel probably would have got

I'd probably go Fry as player of the season. Think he's played his best football this season and has actually been pretty consistent all through.  Think Tav is 100% our most important player, but

Posted Images

McNair or Bola. I'm going for McNair because as soon as he stopped playing as a CB he looked like a totally different player. He's made some costly errors towards the end of the season but honestly, who hasn't?

Oh paddy paddy! Think Mcnair is the obvious choice. Solid at the back and played every game. 

Think if he'd played more games it would have been Watmore. Hope he gets to play regularly next season. Great to have a player who's a box of tricks.

• Like 1

Bola for me. Was a total forgotten man but up until the last few weeks when he definitely dropped, he was giving us solid 7/8 out of 10 performances every week. 

Djiksteel probably would have gotten my vote if it wasn't for injuries. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

Bola for me. Was a total forgotten man but up until the last few weeks when he definitely dropped, he was giving us solid 7/8 out of 10 performances every week. 

Djiksteel probably would have gotten my vote if it wasn't for injuries. 

That's it for me, too. In a season filled with inconsistency across the board, Bola has been the only player I can think of that has played a ton of games and has put in the minimum required pretty much every week.

I understand why McNair may well win the vote but for me, I think he's dropped off plenty more than Bola throughout the season at the end of the pitch where Warnock needs him to perform.

He had a terrific start to the season alongside Fry and Dijksteel but since at least January, I think his good performances have been fewer and further between.

• Like 1

I can’t believe that I’m the only one to have voted for Tav. No contest for me. Definitely our best player of the season and it stuck out a mile when he was missing 

1 hour ago, Blanco said:

I can’t believe that I’m the only one to have voted for Tav. No contest for me. Definitely our best player of the season and it stuck out a mile when he was missing 

Probably because he's been injured for a while...out of sight, out of mind, as they say...

But totally agree he is one of the few that can make something happen for us, due to his skill and awareness.

Bola for me, followed by Watmore.

I think a large part of Bola's iffy form in the last month or so has been because he's largely had to play as a centre back which he doesn't suit.

On 5/15/2021 at 1:27 PM, Blanco said:

I went for Tav too, pretty much for the same reason. We look a totally different team with him in it. 

Bola was a very close 2nd for consistency reasons

McNair third although he dropped off over the last month or two.

• Like 1
On 5/13/2021 at 4:16 PM, Denzel Zanzibar said:

McNair or Bola. I'm going for McNair because as soon as he stopped playing as a CB he looked like a totally different player. He's made some costly errors towards the end of the season but honestly, who hasn't?

I think he played a crazy amount of games as well.Very much a regular starter for Northern Ireland and never seemed to get a rest, Think it caught up with him towards the end of the season but was superb overall

I'd probably go Fry as player of the season. Think he's played his best football this season and has actually been pretty consistent all through. 

Think Tav is 100% our most important player, but I'm not sure he's been in as good form as Fry. That said he's gotten a similar output in terms of goals and assists as last season, but in slightly fewer games. His dynamism is a huge miss when he doesn't play, getting Tav to play 46 games next season will be huge.

Think Bola, McNair and Dijksteel (in that order) are also hugely improved (in terms of performances) this season. Think Bola is the most improved player in our squad this season, with McNair suffering a bit with the amount of games he's played and Dijksteel suffering since his first knock around Christmas time.

Also think Morsy and Hall (Hall more so) are going to be very important for us next season. Got a hunch that Hall might be in contention for POTY in 2021/22, if he stays fit.

• Like 2

I'm going for Watmore!

Unexpectedly he delivered more than we dared hope for and imagine if he had had a full season how many goals he could have scored. Tav is good and improving but still too inconsistent with his end product for me. McNair is consistent but for me was always a tad suspect at the back and his great free kicks although tempting never really hurt anyone on too many occasions  which to me meant that they weren't really so great after all.  Granted a few resulted in goals but most just resulted in goal kicks. Bola was a revelation and nobody thought he would have played such an important role for us last summer and for that he is my runner up.

• Like 1