oneBoro Forum

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ouch 🤣

When you see something like that it makes you think about stuff and I think its an appropriate time to also say how positive this forum is for myself and my mental health and mood.  It’s a great place

The problem with the gesture itself (in my opinion) is that there are no concrete goals. 'End racism' is a noble idea, but how do we know when that's been achieved? Can it be achieved? I wonder i

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Did the commentator really just say Marshall was powerless to prevent the 2nd goal?

Well he was from where he was on the pitch. 

• Haha 1
Just now, AnglianRed said:

Well he was from where he was on the pitch. 

Certainly paints a picture of it, doesn't it!

I wonder how many goals Bettinelli let in this season which he was powerless to prevent!

• Haha 1

Can't see Scotland getting out of the group now. They won't beat England (even allowing for the derby factor, which motivates both sides, of course), and I think Croatia will have a point to prove in their remaining games after being so flaccid yesterday.

Oh well, there's always the World Cup for the Scots to look forward to. In 2042, judging by how infrequently they qualify for major tournaments.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
12 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Certainly paints a picture of it, doesn't it!

I wonder how many goals Bettinelli let in this season which he was powerless to prevent!

Well thats more because he's got the anticipation and reflexes of a 60-year-old. Don't recall him coming halfway up the pitch too often. 

13 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Can't see Scotland getting out of the group now. They won't beat England (even allowing for the derby factor, which motivates both sides, of course), and I think Croatia will have a point to prove in their remaining games after being so flaccid yesterday.

Oh well, there's always the World Cup for the Scots to look forward to. In 2042, judging by how infrequently they qualify for major tournaments.

Yep - looks like England and Croatia being the top 2.

Honestly I was a bit disappointed with Scotland's play in the final third. They got forward quite well, but just couldn't get any decent balls in...or when they did the finishing was poor. Quite a few times I thought, "here we go, they're gonna score", only to fluff it at the last moment.

Didn't see too much from either team that will give Southgate any sleepless nights.

Interesting that the Schmeichel's are saying now that UEFA basically didn't give Denmark any choice but to restart same day:

Peter:

"Or, it's how you see the truth. They were left with three options, one was to play immediately and get the last 50 minutes played.

"The next one was to come in yesterday [Sunday] at 12 noon and finish the 50 minutes and the third option was to forfeit the game, 3-0.

"So work it out for yourself. Is it the players' wish to play? Did they have any choice really? I don't think they had.

Kaspaer:

"I think a decision about the game should probably not have been made in the heat of the moment.

"I think it would probably have been a wise decision to maybe change the rules or the regulations in extraordinary circumstances and maybe take a breath and then reconvene the day after and make a decision on how to go forward."

"We were put in a position I don't think we should have been put in," the younger Schmeichel said. "It probably required that someone above us had said that it was not the time to make a decision and maybe should wait for the next day."

The coach also:

"No, we should not have played," he said. "We will try tomorrow to establish normality as much as possible. Players have different reactions to shocks and trauma but we will try to get back to normal as much as possible.

"I get the feeling from the players that maybe the time is too short to try to play football again, but maybe we can use it as a force to get together and try to go out and do our best in the next match."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/17248/12332297/peter-schmeichel-denmark-players-did-not-have-choice-with-finland-restart-after-christian-eriksen-collapse

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/17248/12332183/christian-eriksen-in-a-good-mood-and-making-jokes-following-cardiac-arrest-but-wants-answers-from-doctors-says-agent

• Wow 1

Here's Braithwaite saying the same thing:

https://sport.tv2.dk/fodbold/2021-06-14-dybt-beroert-braithwaite-saetter-ord-paa-sin-boen-for-eriksen

The Danish players were told that they could either play the match on Saturday night, otherwise it could be resumed on Sunday at 12.00.

In that situation, of course, one would have liked there to be a third option. You do not want to go out and play at that moment, says Martin Braithwaite.

Yeah, I'd heard they basically had the option to play it then or early the next day and that was it. It isn't really a choice you want to make at the end of the day but I guess these things are already so tightly put together that the knock on effect could be quite substantial if they'd pushed it back any further.

The ickiest thing for me is the short time-frame they had to decide and to be honest, I'm quite surprised that they weren't advised to take the later option purely because of that. Maybe they were and they decided against it, I wouldn't knock them either way but it seems like it might have been better for themselves to rest and try again with the score still level.

Just now, wilsoncgp said:

Yeah, I'd heard they basically had the option to play it then or early the next day and that was it. It isn't really a choice you want to make at the end of the day but I guess these things are already so tightly put together that the knock on effect could be quite substantial if they'd pushed it back any further.

The ickiest thing for me is the short time-frame they had to decide and to be honest, I'm quite surprised that they weren't advised to take the later option purely because of that. Maybe they were and they decided against it, I wouldn't knock them either way but it seems like it might have been better for themselves to rest and try again with the score still level.

The ickiest thing for me is UEFA spinning it as "we're restarting at the request of both sets of players". That's the grossest

I know it's not really feasible because it sets a precedent that you can't necessarily use later in the tournament (not that I expect this to happen again of course!) but for me the best result would have been just count the game as finished with the 0-0 and that be that.

• Like 2

I don't think there was any ideal solution for what happened. Whatever they did there would have been questions or complaints from some quarter.

If they'd postponed the match and played it on a different day, it could have messed up the schedule, or at least meant they had less rest & recovery time...meaning they were below par for subsequent matches.

It was an awful thing to happen, but I actually think they went with the best solution for the tournament as a whole. Especially as they at least had time to find out whether or not Eriksen was okay.

7 minutes ago, Brunners said:

The ickiest thing for me is UEFA spinning it as "we're restarting at the request of both sets of players". That's the grossest

I know it's not really feasible because it sets a precedent that you can't necessarily use later in the tournament (not that I expect this to happen again of course!) but for me the best result would have been just count the game as finished with the 0-0 and that be that.

I wonder how both teams would have felt about that. I think honestly that both teams would have wanted the chance to win the game and win it fairly in any situation so I don't think either would have accepted any kind of forfeit alone.

However, if it was a choice between a 3-0 forfeit loss or a 0-0 draw, assuming as we seemingly can that Denmark absolutely had no strong intention to play on, I suspect Finland would have accepted the draw had the match been completely abandoned. It is perhaps unfair that that option wasn't even discussed.

I wonder what UEFA would have done had Eriksen not made it?

Played it the next day at 15.00 instead of 12.00?

Leaving it at 0-0 and a point apiece to me was the moral thing to do.

• Like 1