oneBoro Forum

3 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

I cannot sleep .. 

It's just football, but my mind is 95 % on the game tomorrow ...  Win it, and Denmark are through to the knock outs. 

My God I hope we can carry on the great play from the Belgium game! 

I can't help but feeling a little history repeating here .. 

In 1984 .. Allan Simonsen broke his leg in the opening game ...  But Denmark, not only the players, but the whole nation sent him get well letters ... Hell, All the players even recorded a get well song, which was broadcast on national TV .. 

Denmark lost the semi final v Spain on pennalties .. Preben Elkjær, missed the last kick - Some of you might remember the legendary photo, which is at the bottom of this post .. Heartbroken and with a giant hole in his shorts ... 

In 1992 Henrik Andersen broke his leg, and he was filmed sitting on the pitch screaming in agony ..  The Danish team went on, as you for sure know, and won the game ... on penalties .. And then later won the Championship ...  🏆

This time .. All the drama with Eriksen ... It has united the whole country and you can feel, that being in this together, has given the team a really unique friendship .. I really hope we can beat the big bear tomorrow .. After that anything is possible .. The Ugly Duckling, a fairy tale I would love to feel once again, told by the Danish Football team! 

I hope you will cheer for us tomorrow 😉

image.thumb.png.b18fc3529d9f1aac92fdb023d7519fdd.png 

image.gif

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ouch 🤣

When you see something like that it makes you think about stuff and I think its an appropriate time to also say how positive this forum is for myself and my mental health and mood.  It’s a great place

The problem with the gesture itself (in my opinion) is that there are no concrete goals. 'End racism' is a noble idea, but how do we know when that's been achieved? Can it be achieved? I wonder i

Posted Images

1 hour ago, SmogDane said:

I cannot sleep .. 

It's just football, but my mind is 95 % on the game tomorrow ...  Win it, and Denmark are through to the knock outs. 

In 1984 .. Allan Simonsen broke his leg in the opening game ...  But Denmark, not only the players, but the whole nation sent him get well letters ... Hell, All the players even recorded a get well song, which was broadcast on national TV .. 

Denmark lost the semi final v Spain on pennalties .. Preben Elkjær, missed the last kick - Some of you might remember the legendary photo, which is at the bottom of this post .. Heartbroken and with a giant hole in his shorts ... 

In 1992 Henrik Andersen broke his leg, and he was filmed sitting on the pitch screaming in agony ..  The Danish team went on, as you for sure know, and won the game ... on penalties .. And then later won the Championship ...  🏆

This time .. All the drama with Eriksen ... It has united the whole country and you can feel, that being in this together, has given the team a really unique friendship .. I really hope we can beat the big bear tomorrow .. After that anything is possible .. The Ugly Duckling, a fairy tale I would love to feel once again, told by the Danish Football team! 

Come on Denmark 🇩🇰 

I don't think Denmark definitely qualify with a win, @SmogDane. If Finland lose then yeah, it's very unlikely they'll finish anywhere but 2nd. But if Finland get a point (or in a couple of very specific scenarios, even if Finland lose), Denmark would finish 3rd with 3 points. Will that be enough to qualify? It would be right now as things stand but with all 5 remaining groups to play that's not entirely clear.

If Finland lose and Denmark win, it will kick off the tiebreaker rules amongst everyone bar Belgium. All teams will be on 3 points. I think that goes a little like this:

If Denmark win by 2 or more goals, they will finish 2nd, Finland 3rd and Russia will be out in 4th.

If Denmark win by 1 goal but they score 2 or more (2-1, 3-2 etc.), they will finish 2nd, Russia 3rd, Finland 4th.

If Denmark win 1-0 and Finland lose 1-0 or by 2 or more goals, Denmark will finish 2nd.
(For those interested, the other 2 teams' positions would be determined by how many Finland lose by. If by 2, Finland will be 3rd. If by 4 or more, Russia will be 3rd. If by 3, I'm not entirely sure who finishes 3rd. I suspect it might be Russia as it might revert to the first tie-breaker and the fact Russia beat Finland but I could be wrong, the rules aren't entirely clear about that scenario.)

If Denmark win 1-0 and Finland lose by 1 goal but to a scoreline of 3-2 or higher, Finland will finish 2nd and Denmark will be 3rd.

If Denmark win 1-0, Finland lose 2-1 but Denmark get more disciplinary points than Finland in the final group game, Finland will finish 2nd and Denmark 3rd.

tl;dr

To be 100% sure to finish 2nd, Denmark need to win, score 2 goals and have Finland lose.

8 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't think Denmark definitely qualify with a win, @SmogDane. If Finland lose then yeah, it's very unlikely they'll finish anywhere but 2nd. But if Finland get a point (or in a couple of very specific scenarios, even if Finland lose), Denmark would finish 3rd with 3 points. Will that be enough to qualify? It would be right now as things stand but with all 5 remaining groups to play that's not entirely clear.

If Finland lose and Denmark win, it will kick off the tiebreaker rules amongst everyone bar Belgium. All teams will be on 3 points. I think that goes a little like this:

If Denmark win by 2 or more goals, they will finish 2nd, Finland 3rd and Russia will be out in 4th.

If Denmark win by 1 goal but they score 2 or more (2-1, 3-2 etc.), they will finish 2nd, Russia 3rd, Finland 4th.

If Denmark win 1-0 and Finland lose 1-0 or by 2 or more goals, Denmark will finish 2nd.
(For those interested, the other 2 teams' positions would be determined by how many Finland lose by. If by 2, Finland will be 3rd. If by 4 or more, Russia will be 3rd. If by 3, I'm not entirely sure who finishes 3rd. I suspect it might be Russia as it might revert to the first tie-breaker and the fact Russia beat Finland but I could be wrong, the rules aren't entirely clear about that scenario.)

If Denmark win 1-0 and Finland lose by 1 goal but to a scoreline of 3-2 or higher, Finland will finish 2nd and Denmark will be 3rd.

If Denmark win 1-0, Finland lose 2-1 but Denmark get more disciplinary points than Finland in the final group game, Finland will finish 2nd and Denmark 3rd.

tl;dr

To be 100% sure to finish 2nd, Denmark need to win, score 2 goals and have Finland lose.

Well done, that is a good analysis that takes some reading and a calculator. Denmark has done well were other favourites have faltered but I feel many are just trying to get enough points for the next stage, tinkering, not taking it seriously. 
I think it counter productive not getting a team you believe the strongest, playing together on a regular basis. Of course I would drop in a like for like player to judge there performance but not shoe horn players into positions that is not natural or flood a game disrupting balance. Analytics and historical data would give the ideal positions requiring back up as a priority, the rest fill with game changers.  
The point I am making to many changes regardless of how good individuals is counter productive. 

15 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I'm clearly seeing a different football match. I'm seeing a side with skill and ability cheating and diving at every opportunity. That they are clearly a class above and have no need to do that is shameful. There is no disputing their talent but the cheating aspect along with a very weak Referee is making me nauseous. Better Referees in this tournament would wave a few of those "challenges" on letting the game flow and letting the Italians know that they need to win by playing football not winning free kicks. 

Thats why I can never like or support Italy.

They're ridiculously good footballers...but they even put our PL teams to shame when it comes to "simulation", time-wasting etc. Going down like they've been shot the moment an opponent comes anywhere near them.

Disgusting...and they've always been like this, even going back to the 90s.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, SmogDane said:

I cannot sleep .. 

I'll definitely be cheering for Denmark. Hope you stuff those Russkies.

If you play anything like you did against Belgium, you'll get through.

VIKING POWER! 

television history GIF

Edited by AnglianRed

come on the danes, the incentive must be if you get though in second. wales in the last 16. surely u guys can beat that lot. 

Danish power come on u reds.

3 hours ago, sanddancer said:

Well done, that is a good analysis that takes some reading and a calculator.

Yeah, you have no idea. I had it all written out, it's crazy.

I also just realised I have the very last scenario wrong.

If Denmark win 1-0, Finland lose 2-1 and Denmark get only 1 disciplinary point more than Finland, Denmark will still finish 2nd. It's only if Denmark get 2 or more greater than Finland that they will finish 3rd.

Basically, that scenario with those scores and only 1 yellow card more than Finland goes all the way to the last tiebreaker. Which goes all the way back to the qualifying groups and compares position, then points, goal difference etc.

But even though Finland got more points than Denmark in qualifying (they finished in the same position), Finland got 6 of those points against the 6th placed team. Because some of the groups have 6 teams (Finland) and some groups have 5 (Denmark), they re-do the tables as if nobody ever played the 6th placed team. So Denmark would retain their 16 points, Finland would drop from 18 to 12 as if they never played Liechtenstein.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Yeah, you have no idea. I had it all written out, it's crazy.

I also just realised I have the very last scenario wrong.

If Denmark win 1-0, Finland lose 2-1 and Denmark get only 1 disciplinary point more than Finland, Denmark will still finish 2nd. It's only if Denmark get 2 or more greater than Finland that they will finish 3rd.

Basically, that scenario with those scores and only 1 yellow card more than Finland goes all the way to the last tiebreaker. Which goes all the way back to the qualifying groups and compares position, then points, goal difference etc.

But even though Finland got more points than Denmark in qualifying (they finished in the same position), Finland got 6 of those points against the 6th placed team. Because some of the groups have 6 teams (Finland) and some groups have 5 (Denmark), they re-do the tables as if nobody ever played the 6th placed team. So Denmark would retain their 16 points, Finland would drop from 18 to 12 as if they never played Liechtenstein.

Listen I trust you are correct but I’m not reading through it again. 😁

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

Dutch have been so good to watch here albeit not the best opposition its great watching them.

But no one will give me, that they are an orange dark horse 😊👌