Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

Not so sure about that, he's picking a back 3 isn't he? Walker, stones, Maguire, Shaw, taa, trippier all play in back 4s. James and chillwell are the only defenders he's brought that play as wing backs. 

In addition, that system means he can only really play 3 attacking players. The attacking players England have in their squad is their greatest strength imo, and he should be finding a formation that better makes use of that. 

Odd how people can see things so different though eh!

Whilst he plays in a back 4, TAA definitely plays as a wing back. I'd argue Walker does too tbh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ouch 🤣

When you see something like that it makes you think about stuff and I think its an appropriate time to also say how positive this forum is for myself and my mental health and mood.  It’s a great place

The problem with the gesture itself (in my opinion) is that there are no concrete goals. 'End racism' is a noble idea, but how do we know when that's been achieved? Can it be achieved? I wonder i

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I think to Southgate's credit he has a system and has picked players to fit that system. But importantly he has created a system that suits the players at his disposal. How many England managers have actually done that in the past?

Sven was adamant on his 4-4-2 despite having the likes of Gerrard, Scholes and Lampard who could have very easily formed a ridiculous midfield 3.

In terms of injured players he still has the ability to replace Henderson and Maguire if he needs to. I just don't think Henderson is replaceable and because of that you have to take that risk.

Any player is replaceable...especially if there are doubts over their fitness and a risk that playing them could aggravate their injury further.

This is another age-old blind spot England managers have had for decades, as Rise Against said. They can't see past their preferred formations and players, so that when illness and injury affect the squad, they'd rather hope for miraculous recoveries, instead of looking for alternatives.

I might understand and agree if it was a competitive game against a top team, but for a friendly - just pick players who are fit and could do with some game time.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Quick enough to talk about England. I'd rather he speak out about Boro.

He probably doesn't have anything to say we'd want to hear. I still can't forgive him for the comment about being broken-hearted when Pulis left, as if that cap-wearing scrotal sac hadn't smothered every ounce of pleasure out of being a Boro fan and weakened the squad while lining his pockets, bringing in unnecessary journeymen in positions we were already over-stocked in and proclaiming himself to be the Messiah while

[continued on pages 9-16]

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Will said:

Whilst he plays in a back 4, TAA definitely plays as a wing back. I'd argue Walker does too tbh.

City played with a back 3 at times this season to be fair, more often than not it was Stones and Dias in the 3 and Cancelo as the "Wingback". But certainly Walker and TAA are very advanced fullbacks in their respective back 4's. Didn't United also flirt with a back 3 this season (might have been last season) with Wan-Bissaka as the right centre back?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Any player is replaceable...especially if there are doubts over their fitness and a risk that playing them could aggravate their injury further.

This is another age-old blind spot England managers have had for decades, as Rise Against said. They can't see past their preferred formations and players, so that when illness and injury affect the squad, they'd rather hope for miraculous recoveries, instead of looking for alternatives.

I might understand and agree if it was a competitive game against a top team, but for a friendly - just pick players who are fit and could do with some game time.

 

Of course every player is replaceable to a degree, but you won't always get the same results if you do replace them. For example Henderson for JWP requires a slight shift in set-up or way of playing, o you haven't replaced the player like for like but you've adapted your system to reflect them not playing. So there is a trade off, either you risk it and play your preferred system or you replace the player and adapt it. Unless you have a player that is effectively the same, if that makes sense?

Realistically Henderson probably won't play tonight, or if he does it's because he's actually fit and able. I can't see Southgate risking arguably England's most important player for a friendly, but picking him for the competitive squad for the Euro's make sense to me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Of course every player is replaceable to a degree, but you won't always get the same results if you do replace them. For example Henderson for JWP requires a slight shift in set-up or way of playing, o you haven't replaced the player like for like but you've adapted your system to reflect them not playing. So there is a trade off, either you risk it and play your preferred system or you replace the player and adapt it. Unless you have a player that is effectively the same, if that makes sense?

Realistically Henderson probably won't play tonight, or if he does it's because he's actually fit and able. I can't see Southgate risking arguably England's most important player for a friendly, but picking him for the competitive squad for the Euro's make sense to me.

Thats why I always think managers should have a Plan B (and Plan C even) to cope with injuries / illness / suspensions etc.

Probably more important for international managers than club managers, since they tend to have less control over who is available for them at any given time.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Big test for Denmark v Germany tonight!

In the World Cup group, we have maximum points and a 14-0 goal difference!

In World Cup 2018 Denmark didnt lose a single game .. We drew with France and later Croatia, but lost vs the latter in a dramatic penalty shoot out! 

Those two teams played the final, as you might remember!

So I have high hopes for Denmark! 

GL to England as well!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I can’t get excited about England with GS in charge because the players are better then results suggest. GS is England manager by virtue of being a WOKE of the highest degree. He is a bar of soap in a suit every mother would want a daughter to bring home. He is a car salesmen, a muppet that bottled it and was decorated for failing in the easiest World Cup known to date. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What a boring game to watch.. utter crap... hope they don’t pack to many clothes for there travels, they won’t need them for the short stay.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A tale of two halfs 

Germany 1-1 Denmark 

Not the worst kinda preparation for the coming games.

Did England play boring? I saw the result ... Clean sheat and victory cant be that bad 😉 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

A tale of two halfs 

Germany 1-1 Denmark 

Not the worst kinda preparation for the coming games.

Did England play boring? I saw the result ... Clean sheat and victory cant be that bad 😉 

I think our goal may have actually been our only shot on target?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...