oneBoro Forum

11 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

Oh come on we all love screamers from distance. Right on the sweet spot off like a bullet and you know it’s going in. It’s skill keeping the ball down, how many do we see off into row Z… it’s as good as a great save. I added that bit just for you 😃

I don't really equate that Schick goal as being a 'screamer' from distance, though. Same with the Beckham goal from the half-way line. If I'm remembering correctly, Charlie Adam and Xabi Alonso scored similar ones, those goals took skill for sure but I just wouldn't put them in the same 'long-range screamer' category of those where the keeper was actually in a position to try to save the shot.

Like those where the player spots the keeper off their line and give it a go and the keeper just tips it over. The first thing that comes to mind to me is what the hell was he doing so far off his line to begin with. Might make a Herculean effort to sprint back and adjust his body to tip it over but was often their own fault for having to do that at all!

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ouch 🤣

When you see something like that it makes you think about stuff and I think its an appropriate time to also say how positive this forum is for myself and my mental health and mood.  It’s a great place

The problem with the gesture itself (in my opinion) is that there are no concrete goals. 'End racism' is a noble idea, but how do we know when that's been achieved? Can it be achieved? I wonder i

Posted Images

That one reminds me of Paul Robinson scoring with a free kick from just outside his own box. Think he beat The Cycling GK Ben Foster with that one.

8 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

That one reminds me of Paul Robinson scoring with a free kick from just outside his own box. Think he beat The Cycling GK Ben Foster with that one.

He did indeed; I'm sure recently I watched Foster talking about it again. If anyone hasn't checked out his channel by the way you really should, his youtube content is excellent viewing. Hope the PL let him keep the gopro!

1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

Belgium, Italy, Netherlands, France, Czechia, Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland, England, Wales

The confirmed teams in the round of 16 so far.

This can't be correct because Austria have made it 100% They're playing Italy I think.

8 hours ago, Brunners said:

This can't be correct because Austria have made it 100% They're playing Italy I think.

It's because I forgot to type Austria.

I did that from memory.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Old Codger said:

Agree with Sandy..  in fact the only goals I really dislike are own goals..  scuffed shots, miscues and ricochets are fine, just never like to see anyone putting it in their own net, no matter which team it is

Oh come on, some own goals are so comedic that you can't help but enjoy them:

And of course, the legendary Chris Brass... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

It's a personal preference but I honestly don't care that much any more about goals scored from daft distances when players have such a huge target to hit. Marshall was so far off his line that it was a case of hitting the target and that's it. Obviously still takes skill and the fact he was running onto the ball when he hit it and didn't have much time to think about it makes it better but yeah, I prefer goals where the strike makes it difficult for the keeper rather than the keeper making it easier for the person hitting the ball.

Having said that, I don't know which I'd choose from between Christensen and Schick's. He's caught it superbly and the pace is what really seems to beat the keeper but I still kind of feel like he should at least get a touch on it. It feels like his positioning is a bit off because of the 2 saves he's just made down to the right hand side.

Thats why I'd feel Christensen gets the nod (between the two). So far, anyway.

As you say, Schick had an empty goal to aim at. Christensen had to shoot through a bunch of players, from just far enough out that the keeper still had a decent chance of making the save. But he put a lot of power in the shot and as you also said, the keeper was still trying to get his bearings from the previous saves.

10 hours ago, SmogDane said:

Congrats to England too 😊🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Hope you take one of the top two spots in your group 👍

I have a funny feeling Southgate may be trying to engineer a 2nd place finish, as it apparently gives us an easier match-up in the last 16. 🤔

9 hours ago, SmogDane said:

Denmark's 86 song ... 

Frank Arnesen singing a verse ... He could actually sing ... Great video 👍❤️

https://youtu.be/17N1SglCiRU

That is brilliant (for a football song). Don't understand a a word, obviously, but it sounds great. Got a bit of a World in Motion vibe to it.

Sounded beautifully haunting with thousands of fans singing it in the stadium.

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

That is brilliant (for a football song). Don't understand a a word, obviously, but it sounds great. Got a bit of a World in Motion vibe to it.

Sounded beautifully haunting with thousands of fans singing it in the stadium.

Yeah, it's a great piece of music. 

There's a new song for every championship, but no one can match this song. 

The melody, the chorus, the bassline and then some great singing makes it perfect 😎👌

2 hours ago, Brick_Tamland said:

This one from Ronaldo is one of the best long range screamers that I've seen (apart from Emerson).

It doesn't beat Clarence Seedorf though. That's my "go-to" goal for long range efforts. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Borodane said:

It doesn't beat Clarence Seedorf though. That's my "go-to" goal for long range efforts. 

Notice the number 24 who goes to celebrate with him...