oneBoro Forum

Next seasons kit

20 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Each to their own of course. As mentioned by others many times before, the band is immediately identifiable as Middlesbrough not just in the UK but across Europe to to the UEFA cup run. Seems bananas to me to throw that away. I think there’s lots you do with the band and certainly more than you can do with stripes.

Historically Boro have had way more kits without bands than with. Just 17 in their entire history - or 11 in the last 30 years. Also seems a bit daft to cement a design based on our 1 season in Europe. I mean until / unless we reach those lofty heights again, no-one outside the country (apart from die-hard overseas fans) will see it anyway.

I also fail to see what you can do with a band other than what we've already done. I mean, its a fixed stripe across the chest...thats it. Plus as I said its usually filled with the sponsor's logo...so stands out less as a part of the kit's design IMO.

18 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I'm usually in agreement with most of your thoughts but that Blue and White "Y" shaped monstrosity looks like a Ladies nightdress from the 70's. I'm not sure what that Cellnet one is, it's not stripes and its not a band and its not all red it just looks a mish mash of all sorts and a design car crash.

If you looked at 500 red and white football shirts you could pick out Ajax and Boro (and Chicago Fire FC) from a mile away. Even Arsenal's kit has a few lookee likes (e.g. Rotherham). As for Liverpool, Man Utd and Forest etc. they all just blend into the background.

I guess we just have very different tastes. I wouldn't go so far as to say they are design classics...just that they are designs I've never seen on another club's shirts, therefore could be good choices if you were looking to create a single identifiable design for Boro.

You'll REALLY hate my other favourite design in that case...

image.png.e2ba5579e01161bae686b9057d729791.png

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We should just go back to this, but change the year to 1876  

The thing is I'm not bothered about it.  I don't believe that the person who said it really meant it, and I doubt he was looking to really offend me with it, so I wouldn't report it or him.  A bit lik

Well to be fair they are just ideas put together by fans - either using some kit design website or art software. They probably weren't intended to be original. I'm guessing whoever did them was just t

Posted Images

I see we're having our yearly "band vs no band" argument again.

Personally I tend to prefer the non-band kits. I loved the pinstripes of the promotion season, if I'm honest. The more red with white trim kits tend to be more to my taste.

I don't hate the band however (I bought this years home kit), but it is often ruined by the sponsor.

• Like 1

The replica kit with the band from the year we only had local sponsors for the first half of the season was great. The collar was lovely on it too. Definitely one of my favourite kits. But yeah, every other year it kind of looks like a frame for the sponsor, like if the sponsor wasn't there, the band wouldn't be.

• Like 1

At least the band-or-no-band debate is keeping us entertained while we wait for the released list/some signings/the Euros.

Personally, I'm Team Band. It's distinctive, it makes at least a section of our support happy (no mean feat in itself), and it means you can instantly spot the Boro match as you fast-forward EFL on Quest at 30x normal speed past all the Barnsley and Forest highlights, hitting Play just as the first goal goes in against us.

Plus, the distinctive nature of the white band might just be enough to make that teenage billionaire TikTok star buy us instead of Rotherham, setting in motion a chain of events that sees us return to our rightful place in the upper echelons of the Premier League. Without the band, how could he tell us apart from Liverpool?

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Historically Boro have had way more kits without bands than with. Just 17 in their entire history - or 11 in the last 30 years. Also seems a bit daft to cement a design based on our 1 season in Europe. I mean until / unless we reach those lofty heights again, no-one outside the country (apart from die-hard overseas fans) will see it anyway.

I also fail to see what you can do with a band other than what we've already done. I mean, its a fixed stripe across the chest...thats it. Plus as I said its usually filled with the sponsor's logo...so stands out less as a part of the kit's design IMO.

I guess we just have very different tastes. I wouldn't go so far as to say they are design classics...just that they are designs I've never seen on another club's shirts, therefore could be good choices if you were looking to create a single identifiable design for Boro.

You build on your successes; that’s just good marketing. There’s no need to reinvent the wheel.

I also count around 30 seasons worth of a band, shoulder or chest detail. 18 in the last 30 seasons...give or take.

I think we fundamentally disagree on this subject, so I’ll leave it at that.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Tasteless and looks like something acquired from dodgy importer rather than a reputable manufacturer, chavtastic in the extreme. 🤢🤮

• Haha 1

I love the shirts having a collar, so I'd quite like the next one to have a proper one with buttons rather than this season's plastic attachment with a tight neck.

This season's kit has been the best in years just for design, but the material isn't particularly great, probably because it's synthetic and printed 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I see we're having our yearly "band vs no band" argument again.

Personally I tend to prefer the non-band kits. I loved the pinstripes of the promotion season, if I'm honest. The more red with white trim kits tend to be more to my taste.

I don't hate the band however (I bought this years home kit), but it is often ruined by the sponsor.

The Sponsor ruins all kits and the band is ruined by them. Personally I'd put the Boro badge in the middle of the band and stick the sponsors above or below it. 

That Pinstripe kit didn't sit comfortably with me. I felt like I was watching Forest when they had those Panasonic or Labatt's Lager sponsored shirts. It just didn't scream Boro to me and felt even stranger supporting the side wearing it. The Liverpool Crown Paints one was another that came to mind but unfortunately the stripes didn't make us play like them.

• Like 3

I thought the Ramsdens logo was actually fine on the pinstripe kit and the kit before it with the diagonal band of white. Significantly better than the Ramsdens Currency crap on the white band when we came down, and better than the Ramsdens with the green background sitting in the band. Now that always looked stupid and ugly.

46 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

The Sponsor ruins all kits and the band is ruined by them. Personally I'd put the Boro badge in the middle of the band and stick the sponsors above or below it. 

That Pinstripe kit didn't sit comfortably with me. I felt like I was watching Forest when they had those Panasonic or Labatt's Lager sponsored shirts. It just didn't scream Boro to me and felt even stranger supporting the side wearing it. The Liverpool Crown Paints one was another that came to mind but unfortunately the stripes didn't make us play like them.

Isn't always true. If the sponsor blends well with the kit it can look perfectly fine, it's when they don't that we have a problem and ours almost never do.

4 hours ago, Smogzilla said:

Just looking back through our recent home kits. I'd completely forgotten that this monstrosity existed. Awful 🤢

Middlesbrough FC Boro 13-14 Home and Away Kits.jpg

I'm a sucker for blue-and-black stripes, so the away kit works for me despite the ridiculous Boys Brigade sash on the arm. The home top looks like someone's wearing one of those Under Armour fitness things over their replica shirt. It looks silly even when you're chiselled and rocking xylophone abs. If you have moobs...well, I'm sure I don't need to spell it out.

• Haha 3
2 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

I'm a sucker for blue-and-black stripes, so the away kit works for me despite the ridiculous Boys Brigade sash on the arm. The home top looks like someone's wearing one of those Under Armour fitness things over their replica shirt. It looks silly even when you're chiselled and rocking xylophone abs. If you have moobs...well, I'm sure I don't need to spell it out.

Agree re: the away shirt. The home one though, what were they thinking!?

4 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

Agree re: the away shirt. The home one though, what were they thinking!?

Maybe they wanted to appeal to all echelons of society by marketing a shirt that made anyone - regardless of how they chose to identify - look like they were wearing a bra. They'd certainly look a tit.

• Haha 1