Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We should just go back to this, but change the year to 1876  

The thing is I'm not bothered about it.  I don't believe that the person who said it really meant it, and I doubt he was looking to really offend me with it, so I wouldn't report it or him.  A bit lik

Well to be fair they are just ideas put together by fans - either using some kit design website or art software. They probably weren't intended to be original. I'm guessing whoever did them was just t

Posted Images

On 5/27/2021 at 6:15 AM, boro-unger said:

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/retro-199697-shirts-on-sale-at-mfc-official

Just gone on sale a couple of days ago if you fancy a nostalgia trip! I have 😄

Word of warning for anyone buying these, they run biiig. I know the fit of football shirts back in the 90s was a bit "mexican poncho", but still... I'm going to have to take another trip into Boro to swap for a medium now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, boro-unger said:

Word of warning for anyone buying these, they run biiig. I know the fit of football shirts back in the 90s was a bit "mexican poncho", but still... I'm going to have to take another trip into Boro to swap for a medium now...

I checked the size guide and apparently the "Small" fits a 40-inch chest! 😲

I've never bought anything in a small size since I was a teenager.

8 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

I checked the size guide and apparently the "Small" fits a 40-inch chest! 😲

I've never bought anything in a small size since I was a teenager.

I went back to the shop today and the woman there said a lot of people had been returning them as they were too big. There was a guy next to me exchanging his for a smaller size as well.

Fortunately the medium fits perfectly (i normally wear 42inch chest shirts)

On 5/26/2021 at 10:03 AM, Redcar Rioja said:

hope it was the full strength Listerine and not one of those cheap watered down German supermarket brands!!!!!

Nah it was with aquafresh red,white and blue stripe 😁

• Haha 1

Design is key for me - band or no band. Just slapping a plain white band on a shirt ruins just about any design. 

The Southampton textured chevron stripes fills space and gives an interesting, dynamic design. We tend to just get a solid white rectangle stretching round some badly balanced part of the shirt. 

But to say the club is 'instantly identifiable around the world' by a white band is fanciful. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Snowblind said:

Design is key for me - band or no band. Just slapping a plain white band on a shirt ruins just about any design. 

The Southampton textured chevron stripes fills space and gives an interesting, dynamic design. We tend to just get a solid white rectangle stretching round some badly balanced part of the shirt. 

But to say the club is 'instantly identifiable around the world' by a white band is fanciful. 

Having an identity is not the same as "instantly identifiable around the world".

Having said that in order to even have a chance of being instantly identifiable you have to have an identity, a logo or a mark which stands out from the crowd be it three stripes, a swoosh, golden arches, four intertwined circles or a three pointed star. 

How many clubs around the world play in red with a white chest band? Off the top of my head I can think of Chicago Fire and Boro and that's about it. No doubt there will be others but they aren't exactly prolific compared to say a plain red, white, striped or blue shirt. How a designer interprets a brief and comes up with subtle tweaks is what designers are paid for and a band is a lot easier to work with in that respect than say a Chelsea shirt for example.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Snowblind said:

I'm not even sure I'd want us to be instantly identifiable at the moment! 

• Haha 4
10 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Having an identity is not the same as "instantly identifiable around the world".

Having said that in order to even have a chance of being instantly identifiable you have to have an identity, a logo or a mark which stands out from the crowd be it three stripes, a swoosh, golden arches, four intertwined circles or a three pointed star. 

How many clubs around the world play in red with a white chest band? Off the top of my head I can think of Chicago Fire and Boro and that's about it. No doubt there will be others but they aren't exactly prolific compared to say a plain red, white, striped or blue shirt. How a designer interprets a brief and comes up with subtle tweaks is what designers are paid for and a band is a lot easier to work with in that respect than say a Chelsea shirt for example.

Aye, not the same I know - was more a comment on someone (can't remember who) saying the band made us 'instantly recognisable' after our European exploits. 

I've travelled extensively, and when anyone asks you about football and you say 'Middlesbrough' their first reactions are generally "Juninho!" or "Ravanelli!" - anyone not old enough to remember those generally doesn't know much about us. The band wasn't part of those kits.

I'm all for the band and building identity. But more often than not with recent designs I've personally thought it's looked cheap and ruined designs. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

seen these concept kits on FB. what do we reckon?

boroaway2122.jpg

borohome2122.jpg

While I like the idea of paying homage to that previous kit from whenever that was (I know I own it but I can't for the life of me remember what year it was in) I don't think this is very well done. Also, I don't like the central badge.

Thankfully I am hoping our sponsor changes this season too. Didn't our deal with 32Red just expire?

The away kit, I don't get the white down the sides, think that spoils that one personally.

On 5/29/2021 at 6:46 PM, boro-unger said:

I went back to the shop today and the woman there said a lot of people had been returning them as they were too big. There was a guy next to me exchanging his for a smaller size as well.

Fortunately the medium fits perfectly (i normally wear 42inch chest shirts)

My shirt arrived today - happy to say it fits perfectly. Just in time for us getting some decent t-shirt weather!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Dynamo Kev said:

seen these concept kits on FB. what do we reckon?

boroaway2122.jpg

borohome2122.jpg

Quite like both.

For the away kit I'd lighten the blue a tad so it contrasts better with the black.

For the home kit - I really love the central placing of the manufacturer's logo and badge...I don't know why more clubs don't do this.

The red chest "band" is slightly jarring, but I can see why they did it. I'd also have more consistency. Either faded stripes or chevrons on both the front and shoulders. Looks a bit weird IMO having both.