oneBoro Forum

EURO FINAL 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇮🇹

5 minutes ago, Uwe said:

They are and penalties. That was the first penalty shootout they lost since 1954. (Please don’t fact check this as I may have just made it up) 

Errrrrrrrrrr excuse me sir, but it was actually 1354 when they last lost a penalty shootout.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heading away with the good lady wife so won’t be back on before the final. Sincerest best wishes to the ordinary English fans on here. Hope it happens for you 💪

Congrats, friends ...  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇩🇰 @ Wembley  ...   Good luck to y'all! 

Few excellent posts regarding the final and the tournament as a whole. On the pitch Southgate got basically every decision he made spot on leading upto the final. Even the decision to go to a win

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Uwe said:

They are and penalties. That was the first penalty shootout they lost since 1954. (Please don’t fact check this as I may have just made it up) 

Its okay - my facts don't require checking. 😜

Just checked the match result and our penalty takers on that occasion were:

Harry Maguire

Ross Barkley

Jadon Sancho

Raheem Sterling

Eric Dier

Jordan Pickford

Only 4 of those in the current lineup and if we're relying on our GK to take pens after the first 5 then I really don't fancy our chances in a similar scenario.

Also remember we're saddled with Jordan "Can't Hit A Bloody Barn Door" Henderson who will doubtless want to take one.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

I think Southgate wants to end up in as many shoot outs as possible. He might have something to prove 😁

He might be looking for another Pizza Ad 🤣

• Haha 1

germany could suit us perfectly. they like to try and dominate, they could well leave themselves very vulnerable to counter attacks. we have one or two jet heeled forwards to exploit that. i think it will be an amazing game cant wait. even the 4-1 game was a brilliant game to watch. this could be a chance to get some pay back. 

I wonder how we'll approach the 3-4-3 of Germany, whether Gareth might change it up for this game or if he'll just stick by and large with what we've been playing with rather than try to adapt too much to them.

12 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I wonder how we'll approach the 3-4-3 of Germany, whether Gareth might change it up for this game or if he'll just stick by and large with what we've been playing with rather than try to adapt too much to them.

I'd imagine both managers will stick with whats worked for them so far.

Southgate in particular has previous with Germany so I'd expect him to remain cautious.

I guess he'll leave our full-backs to deal with Gosens and Kimmich, our CBs and DMs to deal with their central players and hope our forward 3 and striker can create & convert chances for us.

4-2-3-1 is what we seem most comfortable with. I think trying to go 3-4-3 ourselves would be too much of a risk.

I don't think we even have any out-and-out wingers in the squad, do we?

I think playing Rice and Phillips will play right into the Germans hands, much sooner see Henderson in for Rice playing the same role he played for Liverpool when Van Dijk got injured, it will allow Phillips to get further forward. Walker good player but not for me in an England shirt,  would prefer to see both Chelsea full backs start even though they won't. I think it will be 2 changes from the opening game against Croatia, Henderson for Rice, Grealish for Foden more or less the same formation and similar tactics. 

16 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I'd imagine both managers will stick with whats worked for them so far.

Southgate in particular has previous with Germany so I'd expect him to remain cautious.

I guess he'll leave our full-backs to deal with Gosens and Kimmich, our CBs and DMs to deal with their central players and hope our forward 3 and striker can create & convert chances for us.

4-2-3-1 is what we seem most comfortable with. I think trying to go 3-4-3 ourselves would be too much of a risk.

I don't think we even have any out-and-out wingers in the squad, do we?

I'd be confident putting Reece James up against Gosen, Hummels is a great defender but he's lost a bit of pace got to get at him from the start.  

Honestly, I can see us pretty much going back to the team that started against Croatia barring Maguire for Mings and maybe Henderson for Phillips.

Compared to that team, I'd rather Henderson in for Rice too personally and maybe Saka or Sancho for Mount, putting Foden into the midfield 3. Phillips seems to be the right blend of midfielder for that 3 in that he can probably interchange with Henderson as the deeper player and hopefully let Foden/Mount get out a bit more. I really think we'll struggle on that right hand side if we don't play someone who can actually get down the side of the German defence.

6 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Honestly, I can see us pretty much going back to the team that started against Croatia barring Maguire for Mings and maybe Henderson for Phillips.

Compared to that team, I'd rather Henderson in for Rice too personally and maybe Saka or Sancho for Mount, putting Foden into the midfield 3. Phillips seems to be the right blend of midfielder for that 3 in that he can probably interchange with Henderson as the deeper player and hopefully let Foden/Mount get out a bit more. I really think we'll struggle on that right hand side if we don't play someone who can actually get down the side of the German defence.

Forgot about Maguire yes I think he'll start  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Rioch's Braves said:

Forgot about Maguire yes I think he'll start  

I think he showed us enough in that Czech Republic game to prove he is fit and better than Mings. It's a shame for Mings as I think he's done well in the tournament but unless we play with a back 3 that includes Walker playing at wing-back, I can't see how he gets in the side.

Germany seem to fill the box and hit it at every opportunity with crosses from the wing backs. Portugal let Gosen and Kimmich run riot and got smashed for it... all four goals from open play crosses. So hopefully Gareth has paid attention and figured out how to nullify that. 

Our counter attacks will be so key, if we're toothless on the counter it will be a very long evening of defending our box. 

• Uwe changed the title to EURO FINAL 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇮🇹