• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heading away with the good lady wife so won’t be back on before the final. Sincerest best wishes to the ordinary English fans on here. Hope it happens for you 💪

Congrats, friends ...  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇩🇰 @ Wembley  ...   Good luck to y'all! 

Few excellent posts regarding the final and the tournament as a whole. On the pitch Southgate got basically every decision he made spot on leading upto the final. Even the decision to go to a win

Posted Images

Last I heard Maguire wasn't gonna make it. I just read he might not even play in any of the group games. Honestly, let's say we get through the group with aplomb, do you even bring him back in after that? Is he good enough to justify it? I guess it depends on the individual performances of Mings, White or Coady.

It's quite hard to predict the first team for this game. Pickford, Walker, Stones, Rice and Kane are the only ones really that I'd be pretty convinced of. 

The Independent has had a guess at what looks like a 4-2-3-1:

Pickford

Walker Stones Mings Shaw

Rice Phillips

Sterling Mount Grealish

Kane

———-—-Pickford—————-

Walker-Mings-Stones-Trippier

———Rice———Henderson—

Grealish——Mount——Sterling

——————-Kane—————

That’s what I think. But it’s difficult as he may not trust Henderson for a full 90 mins. Also none of the Champions league finalists played any of the friendliest so who knows when he’s going to start sending them into the team. 
I do expect to see all subs used and the likes of Foden , Rashford and Mount to feature at some point

2-1 Ingerlund 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 

Edit… Can probably see Shaw starting at left back

Toughest game of the group to kick off our campaign.

I'm a bit worried some of the players will be carrying some baggage from Russia.

That said, I haven't been keeping tabs on Croatia since 2018, so don't know if they will be as tough as they were then.

May be worth remembering England have never won their opening game of a Euro tournament. Will this be the year they break that unhappy run?

Not overly optimistic. Would take a draw from this fixture. Think all results are equally likely, so no particular expectations. This is what I did with the BBC starting lineup predictor.

1524758682_Euro2020StartingLineup.PNG.7c620bef2da91b6c91a8ffd1535b90f1.PNG

Edited by AnglianRed

And since it wouldn't be a proper tournament without some suitably cringy music, here are some songs I found...

Can't decide whether I like this one or not. Love the idea of using Neil Young's Rockin' in the Free World, but the naff vocals and keyboards rather ruin it for me.

A new version of an old...classic?

I get the feeling this might be a rework of some R n' B diva's hit (Beyonce or something). Guy can't rap to save his life, but at least the lyrics are somewhat interesting...

And just in case none of that lot got you in the mood, here's arguably the best England song ever...

Think he's got it wrong if the rumoured lineup that's going around is right

Mings and stones is an accident waiting to happen, why on earth would be put trippier at left back when he has shaw and chillwell? 

Phillips is a decent player but a midfield 3 of rice, Phillips and mount isn't exactly going to scare anyone. And to keep faith with sterling over grealish after the season they've both had is absolutely baffling. 

If foden and kane can carry their club form England do still have a decent chance, but to me that side just looks like it's too reliant on those individuals to be serious contenders. 

25 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Think he's got it wrong if the rumoured lineup that's going around is right

Mings and stones is an accident waiting to happen, why on earth would be put trippier at left back when he has shaw and chillwell? 

Phillips is a decent player but a midfield 3 of rice, Phillips and mount isn't exactly going to scare anyone. And to keep faith with sterling over grealish after the season they've both had is absolutely baffling. 

If foden and kane can carry their club form England do still have a decent chance, but to me that side just looks like it's too reliant on those individuals to be serious contenders. 

I can see why we've gone for a midfield three of Phillips, Rice and Mount. I think it's specific to this game to try nullify Croatia's midfield, Modrić, Kovačić and Brozović are no joke and there aren't many nations with a better midfield.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Weasel said:

I can see why we've gone for a midfield three of Phillips, Rice and Mount. I think it's specific to this game to try nullify Croatia's midfield, Modrić, Kovačić and Brozović are no joke and there aren't many nations with a better midfield.

I think it's got a pep over thinking it type feel to it. Some of the best young attacking talent in world football sitting on the bench along with two very in form left backs and a more progressive young centre midfielder too. I think he's been psyched out because of the semi final.

• Like 1

No problem with that team at all, bar the defence.

Trippier playing at left back is just bizarre, he's barely played there at club level.

We've got 2 left backs that have reached European Finals this season sitting on the bench.

Feels like an attempt to keep Trippier in the side for his deliveries.

I'd sooner go Chillwall Stones Walker Trippier if he was trying to get them both in, Mings worries me.

Trippier at LB would be a shocking call to be fair, sure he won La Liga and kept Croatia's RB out of the Atleti team in the process but we have a LB who has just won the Champions League!!!

Sterling over Rashford or Grealish as well is a big call he's been crap for the past year, Mings and Phillips I have no real issue with they've got pace and have had solid seasons.

I guess we'll see how it plays out and I could be wrong but Trippier at left back feels like a bloody idiot move. Why, we've got good players who can play in that position and keep the balance of the back line. We're not talking about Paulo Maldini or Javier Zanetti here, this is a lad who plays right back for his club and makes his name doing that.

Southgate will live or die in this tournament based on his decisions and his insistence that good footballers will adapt to play for England in any number of positions regardless of where they play for club is looking like it could be top of that list. England has history for putting players onto the pitch because they're good and not for the betterment of the team and it ain't good.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I think it's got a pep over thinking it type feel to it. Some of the best young attacking talent in world football sitting on the bench along with two very in form left backs and a more progressive young centre midfielder too. I think he's been psyched out because of the semi final.

To be fair I think a lot of managers would be. It does seem typical of Southgate's "safety first" approach.

Also, it is the first and toughest match of the group. I guess he just wants to make sure we don't concede a bunch of goals because our attacking players keep getting caught out.

On the plus side, we do have a lot of firepower on the bench to call on. I really hope they see some action.

This is the side we deservedly beat Croatia with in November 2018, the last time we played them:

Screenshot_20210613-112621_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e4626ce2d0fd8ff4bef2797256bd82d4.jpg

I'd say today's line-up is much better than that, even with the oddity of Trippier at left-back.

The best Croatian players are all 3 years older and the wrong side of 30 since then too.

• Uwe changed the title to EURO FINAL 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇮🇹