oneBoro Forum

EURO FINAL 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇮🇹

1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

Against Scotland England had 2 shots on target. Against Croatia they had 1. 

Against Scotland you had 497 accurate passes. Against Croatia you had 381

Against Scotland you had 262 successful passes inside the opposition half, against Croatia you had 163.

Against Scotland you had 60% possession, against Croatia you had 50%

Yet after the Croatia game everyone is talking about how impressive you were. Sterlings goal covered up an extremely average performance, the fact England couldnt score against this Scotland team is just a continuation of that average start against poor opposition. 

The big difference for me between games one and two are the midfield. Phillips and Mount were working between the midfield lines of Croatia. It wasn't a masterclass by any means but it was a plan that worked against better opposition than Scotland.

Today, when you look at where we failed, it's the midfield. Scotland didn't do anything special in midfield, they just packed it up. And we tried to pass it around them by the full-backs instead of having a player make runs into the spaces they left in the areas around the box and trying to play through the lines on occasion. The gap between midfield and attack was astoundingly bad for 80-90% of the game and there was a point around midway through the 2nd half where we seemed to figure that out... before reverting to type and slowing it right down again.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heading away with the good lady wife so won’t be back on before the final. Sincerest best wishes to the ordinary English fans on here. Hope it happens for you 💪

Congrats, friends ...  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇩🇰 @ Wembley  ...   Good luck to y'all! 

Few excellent posts regarding the final and the tournament as a whole. On the pitch Southgate got basically every decision he made spot on leading upto the final. Even the decision to go to a win

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

The big difference for me between games one and two are the midfield. Phillips and Mount were working between the midfield lines of Croatia. It wasn't a masterclass by any means but it was a plan that worked against better opposition than Scotland.

Today, when you look at where we failed, it's the midfield. Scotland didn't do anything special in midfield, they just packed it up. And we tried to pass it around them by the full-backs instead of having a player make runs into the spaces they left in the areas around the box and trying to play through the lines on occasion. The gap between midfield and attack was astoundingly bad for 80-90% of the game and there was a point around midway through the 2nd half where we seemed to figure that out... before reverting to type and slowing it right down again.

This Wilson, echoes my thoughts exactly, so why did we not change it

12 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Against Scotland England had 2 shots on target. Against Croatia they had 1. 

Against Scotland you had 497 accurate passes. Against Croatia you had 381

Against Scotland you had 262 successful passes inside the opposition half, against Croatia you had 163.

Against Scotland you had 60% possession, against Croatia you had 50%

Yet after the Croatia game everyone is talking about how impressive you were. Sterlings goal covered up an extremely average performance, the fact England couldnt score against this Scotland team is just a continuation of that average start against poor opposition. 

We get the message, YOU Hate England 🤣

1 minute ago, pikerman said:

This Wilson, echoes my thoughts exactly, so why did we not change it

Your guess is as good as mine, mate. 2 subs in the whole game, that aspect was pathetic. You've got players on that bench, Sancho in particular, who could have come on and at least given us some more energy to our midfield and attack and yet here we are, looking at 3 subs that didn't happen and thinking how they could have changed the game. Thinking about our tactical decision to play 2 holding midfielders when Scotland were still beating Rice to everything for most the game. Thinking about why we played such slow, slow football and allowed Scotland to maintain a shape that wins them a point and could very well have seen them getting all 3 when they did get chances.

• Like 1

Was I watching England or the Boro there?

Southgate got it very, very wrong tactically tonight. Far too defensive and his substitutions were like for like and pointless.
Phillips, rice or mount should have been withdrawn for a offensive player/striker.
Far too negative against the 3rd worst ranked team in the tournament.

Well done on Scotland, who wanted the point far more than us.

• Like 5
  • Erimus 63 changed the title to England matches

Do think if Stones had scored that would have completely changed the game and importantly the momentum of the game. But can't rue chances like that as Scotland created plenty to rue themselves after.

England just didn't not look at the races today at all. Pickford and Stones probably the best of the bunch. Fair play to Scotland really turned up today.

That said remember Portugal won the tournament last time out after drawing all 3 games in the group stage. As long as we eek out win when the time is right I'm not fussed. 

I didn't realise discipline could potentially be decisive regarding qualification. When you consider the 3rd place teams will probably be on similar points and goal difference it makes McGinns booking all the more ridiculous and could even be costly if they were to finish 3rd in the group. It probably explains why there wasn't any real "derby" type challenges/friction in the game.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

I didn't realise discipline could potentially be decisive regarding qualification. When you consider the 3rd place teams will probably be on similar points and goal difference it makes McGinns booking all the more ridiculous and could even be costly if they were to finish 3rd in the group. It probably explains why there wasn't any real "derby" type challenges/friction in the game.

That's literally the point in the game where it felt like it turned, too. It was a little firey in the rain up until McGinn made that challenge and then everyone dropped off, especially on the England side, there was absolutely no sense of the occasion. It was too far in the opposite direction. Never mind England v Scotland, I couldn't give a toss about the rivalry, we need to put ourselves about a lot more against any team than we did in that game tonight. Both managers spoke in advance of the game of the balance of passion and patience and Scotland just got that balance right more than we did.

57 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

I still blame Southgate for our relegation, he was a very mediocre U21 manager and he's just plodded along in the England job. Maybe I'm a tad biased in my dislike of him but we wont win anything with Southgate he lets games breeze by and is as passive as Hodgson was he just has better players at his disposal.

He's reasonably articulate, he says the right things, and he's inoffensive, that's why he has the job.  Got the Boro job for no reason at all really other than being a player here.  Somehow found himself in the role of the FA's Head of Elite Development, absolutely no idea why, other than he's reasonably articulate, he says the right things and he's inoffensive. This turned into the England Under 21 job, which ended in tournament failure, and then he walks into the England job after Allardyce got done.  The FA like people whose faces fit and Southgate is ideal for that, especially at this moment in time.  He's had a quite staggering rise though that doesn't appear to be in line with his abilities.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Southgate is to blame for our demise from European finalists to mediocre championship side it started with him 

Not really.  It started with Gibson's decision to appoint him and that was ultimately responsible for the club's downfall. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, DurhamRed said:

Southgate is to blame for our demise from European finalists to mediocre championship side it started with him 

Southgate hadn't even finished his bloody coaching badges when we put him in charge! 😂

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Changing Times said:

He's reasonably articulate, he says the right things, and he's inoffensive, that's why he has the job.  Got the Boro job for no reason at all really other than being a player here.  Somehow found himself in the role of the FA's Head of Elite Development, absolutely no idea why, other than he's reasonably articulate, he says the right things and he's inoffensive. This turned into the England Under 21 job, which ended in tournament failure, and then he walks into the England job after Allardyce got done.  The FA like people whose faces fit and Southgate is ideal for that, especially at this moment in time.  He's had a quite staggering rise though that doesn't appear to be in line with his abilities.

Yeah I agree with that.

Southgate was a great player for us, he's a lovely guy and I think he's one of the best in the business with the media however none of those things make you a good manager. 

In his spell with us as manager he just seemed to get gradually worse as McLaren's players left and he built his own team. It wasn't all his fault, Gibson put him in a tough position here but he was totally uninspiring as a manager and he built a team of spineless footballers. 

I'm not one of these people that overhype England or the players but I think we are capable of better than that last night. 

Sometimes you've got to judge the mood of the occasion and last night he didn't. It was obvious he wanted the team to be calm and controlled but after 20 mins it was clear that we needed an injection of urgency and tempo. 

I think we'll scape a result against the Czechs and then get pummeled by Portugal/France. 

• Uwe changed the title to EURO FINAL 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇮🇹