oneBoro Forum

EURO FINAL 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇮🇹

I'm half looking forward to it and half dreading it.

On the positive side, its the first final England have been to since 1966. Southgate and the lads have generally had a brilliant tournament so far and done everything required of them (except beat the Scots 😉 ). Looking at it in a glass half full way, England are winners no matter what, just for making it this far.

On the flip side I really can't stand Italy...for reasons that have previously been discussed on here. I was so hoping we'd end up facing Spain, or even Belgium again. Anyone but the Italians. Losing to them would just be horrendous. My dread mostly stems from knowing how they are likely to act if the game is tight, with the clock running down...especially if they are ahead.

Also, England CANNOT allow this game to go to penalties if they are to win it.

EDIT: 

Also, given that Scotland will be rooting for Italy, can you imagine the *** we'll get from north of the border, should we lose... ☹️

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 1
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heading away with the good lady wife so won’t be back on before the final. Sincerest best wishes to the ordinary English fans on here. Hope it happens for you 💪

Congrats, friends ...  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇩🇰 @ Wembley  ...   Good luck to y'all! 

Few excellent posts regarding the final and the tournament as a whole. On the pitch Southgate got basically every decision he made spot on leading upto the final. Even the decision to go to a win

Posted Images

I'm feeling pretty relaxed, if we win obviously it's amazing etc.. but if we lose in just really happy we managed to get to the final and break the semi final hoodoo. Italy have been the best side in the tournament so far so as long as we don't get thrashed I'm chill.

19 hours ago, Uwe said:

I’m going through more emotions than a teenager at the moment. Ranging from quite confident to really nervous. Right now I’ve been reading up on Italy’s CB pairing. As good as they are they are quite old, but we know that already. But the more I think about it the more certain I am that Sterling or Saka will get past them once or twice where I think it will result in a penalty for England. (So expect more conspiracy theories) 

I'm hoping that despite their ability to read the game, they will still get tired at some point.

Hoping today is a case of youthful energy overcoming age and wisdom.

10 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I'm half looking forward to it and half dreading it.

On the positive side, its the first final England have been to since 1966. Southgate and the lads have generally had a brilliant tournament so far and done everything required of them (except beat the Scots 😉 ). Looking at it in a glass half full way, England are winners no matter what, just for making it this far.

On the flip side I really can't stand Italy...for reasons that have previously been discussed on here. I was so hoping we'd end up facing Spain, or even Belgium again. Anyone but the Italians. Losing to them would just be horrendous. My dread mostly stems from knowing how they are likely to act if the game is tight, with the clock running down...especially if they are ahead.

Also, England CANNOT allow this game to go to penalties if they are to win it.

Can you imagine the scenes if we win it on penalties, though 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, BearSmog said:

Pickford 

Walker Stones Maguire

Trippier                                   Shaw

Phillips       Rice

Grealish                               Sterling 

Kane

Hmm...looks defensively solid, but leaves us a bit light in terms of attacking threat. That looks like a set-up for extra time and penalties.

I think I'd rather we stuck with 4-2-3-1 and tried to win it in normal time. 

5 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Not really - I think I'd die of stress if it got that far. 😨😱💀

On a more serious note I am actually a bit worried about today - however things pan out.

Reckon the police will have their work cut out for them.

Bound to be plenty of idiots just taking things too far if we win. Also imagine there will be trouble if we lose.

1 hour ago, RiseAgainst said:

A quick word on the Scots, having lived here since 1987: it's impossible to tell where banter ends and Anglophobia starts. Some people just absolutely hate the English and everything south of the Border with an unalloyed passion. I remember a woman saying Vauxhall using the Union flag on their billboard ads made her physically sick. It runs that deep.

And for any English people feeling bad about hearing fans booing foreign anthems at Wembley, that's nothing compared to Scots booing God Save The Queen - technically their own anthem - at Hampden. It's absolutely ear-splitting. Not just a boorish minority, but every man, woman and child (sadly) in the stadium. Every single time.

Onto the match - is anyone actually looking forward to it? I am dreading it! A win would be great, but I suspect it'll be either 90 or 120 minutes of anguish and nail-chewing. Like the Brighton game but without the safety net of the play-offs if it all went wrong... 

Fine line isn't it... I'm all for them wanting us to lose - I'd be doing the exact same if they were in a final. And anyone who says otherwise is telling porkies or being patronising (in my honest opinion). 

But some Scots do cross the line into just being a bit hateful. It's the one-eyed takes that get tedious... e.g. 'Denmark were robbed' and every team we beat suddenly becoming rubbish - but only ever after we've won. Go crazy if we lose the final... fine. But at least hold your hands up and admit we deserve to be there.

As for the match... I feel awful. Butterflies have started. Never been this nervous for a game. I just have a sick feeling this is a game too far for us, but I do tend to fear the worst whenever England or Boro play, likely out of self-preservation more than anything else!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Imagine if it goes to penalties and Gareth subs himself on to take the last penalty... "Gareth Southgate, the whole of England is with you...... oh he's scored!!!!!" 

#Redemptionsong

2 minutes ago, BearSmog said:

Just popped to the shop (in Cardiff) and I passed three separate (very non Italian) men in Italy shirts. Sad.

image.gif.8ab3c873ae004e09c8d33a87337a22ec.gif

3 minutes ago, BearSmog said:

Just popped to the shop (in Cardiff) and I passed three separate (very non Italian) men in Italy shirts. Sad.

I can't understand it, it's bizarre.

I understand wanting England to lose but not the spunking money on other countries shirts.

I don't imagine any Middlesbrough fans bought a Charlton top or a Lincoln top in the play-offs when they played Sunderland.

The way I look at it, I'm British. Born in England to parents also born in England but of Irish and Scottish descent. I live in Wales, my wife is Welsh and my kids were born here. I support England in all sports.

But if it was Wales/Scotland/Ireland in a final would I want them to lose? No, not at all!  I'd want them to win! The same way when I'm watching the Olympics I don't just want the English athletes to succeed and the other British athletes to fail. The same way I want the Lions to win in the Rugby, even if it were a team without an Englishman  in the fifteen.

Actively supporting the team that is playing against England is just sad and immature. Get a grip!

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I can't understand it, it's bizarre.

I understand wanting England to lose but not the spunking money on other countries shirts.

I don't imagine any Middlesbrough fans bought a Charlton top or a Lincoln top in the play-offs when they played Sunderland.

To be fair, the Italy shirt is nice. Just because they're almost certainly wearing it today because it's England doesn't mean that they'll never wear it again. I've got a few different shirts from different clubs and countries over the years. Even following England, I wouldn't say no to that Italy shirt because we're playing them in a final, it's a really nice shirt.

I doubt Charlton and Lincoln tops are that nice. 😄

3 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

A quick word on the Scots, having lived here since 1987: it's impossible to tell where banter ends and Anglophobia starts. Some people just absolutely hate the English and everything south of the Border with an unalloyed passion. I remember a woman saying Vauxhall using the Union flag on their billboard ads made her physically sick. It runs that deep.

And for any English people feeling bad about hearing fans booing foreign anthems at Wembley, that's nothing compared to Scots booing God Save The Queen - technically their own anthem - at Hampden. It's absolutely ear-splitting. Not just a boorish minority, but every man, woman and child (sadly) in the stadium. Every single time.

Onto the match - is anyone actually looking forward to it? I am dreading it! A win would be great, but I suspect it'll be either 90 or 120 minutes of anguish and nail-chewing. Like the Brighton game but without the safety net of the play-offs if it all went wrong... 

It's genuinely stuff like this that makes me wonder, perhaps naively, why anyone in England wants Scotland to remain part of the UK. I know a lot of this talk has come up through the football recently so maybe this is wrong but it seems to me that they don't like us and we don't seem to like them either.

Give them IndyRef 2 and given what's happened since the first one and how it has affected opinion in Scotland since, it just seems to be for the benefit of everyone involved. Let us be England, let them be Scotland and let us both do our own things. It feels like independence from one another could at least let Scotland feel like they're in control of their own future and not bogged down by whatever the English want to do, it could even begin that slow healing process.

• Like 2