oneBoro Forum

EURO FINAL 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇮🇹

1 minute ago, AnglianRed said:

True, but you'd think that with what he was saving in the transfer market, he'd be a little smarter about who he appointed as manager, or at least get some competent back-up for a rookie manager facing a tough challenge.

I remember Martin O'Neill at the time was heavily linked with the job. I can't remember the full story but something broke down and Southgate was kind of our fall-back from that.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heading away with the good lady wife so won’t be back on before the final. Sincerest best wishes to the ordinary English fans on here. Hope it happens for you 💪

Congrats, friends ...  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇩🇰 @ Wembley  ...   Good luck to y'all! 

Few excellent posts regarding the final and the tournament as a whole. On the pitch Southgate got basically every decision he made spot on leading upto the final. Even the decision to go to a win

Posted Images

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

I remember Martin O'Neill at the time was heavily linked with the job. I can't remember the full story but something broke down and Southgate was kind of our fall-back from that.

Felix magath was the other name linked wasn't he?

1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

True, but you'd think that with what he was saving in the transfer market, he'd be a little smarter about who he appointed as manager, or at least get some competent back-up for a rookie manager facing a tough challenge.

Did he not have Malcolm Crosby as his experienced sidekick? Or am I remembering that wrong?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

The strong rumour was that O'Neill wanted to bring his own coaching staff in and this didn't sit well with Gibson and his entourage, which considering our jobs for the boys mentality wouldn't surprise me one bit.

7 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

Felix magath was the other name linked wasn't he?

I forgot that name altogether but this is from Vickers a few years ago. According to this, the Bayern manager wasn't just linked, he applied and his application was binned.

image.png.61afbf93172c2efdc2bccbe0b7adc565.png

And here's one of his 'Untypical Boro' articles to expand on that:

https://untypicalboro.wordpress.com/2013/04/24/mittleburg-am-r/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

There was an astonishing story in the Guardian about why Magath bombed at Fulham, shortly after he left. It sounds like we dodged a bullet by not appointing him.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/sep/20/fulham-farewell-magath-felix-madcap

That said, it's extremely narrow-minded and parochial to dismiss a German manager because he'd supposedly turn the town of Middlesbrough into an enclave of ze Faterland. Wonder what changed in the run-up to Aitor's arrival?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RiseAgainst said:

There was an astonishing story in the Guardian about why Magath bombed at Fulham, shortly after he left. It sounds like we dodged a bullet by not appointing him.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/sep/20/fulham-farewell-magath-felix-madcap

That said, it's extremely narrow-minded and parochial to dismiss a German manager because he'd supposedly turn the town of Middlesbrough into an enclave of ze Faterland. Wonder what changed in the run-up to Aitor's arrival?

Kind of ironic that Boro then ended up in a similar situation with Karanka...though I'm guessing he was nowhere near as bad as Magath.

1 hour ago, RiseAgainst said:

Peter Kenyon and Jorge Mendes

9 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Given we've now qualified before a ball has been kicked, there's no excuse not to go all out for the win and try and regain momentum.

Exactly, I hope the team go out and play with a bit of positive intent. 

Win well and play well and it'll get everyone excited again. 

On 6/19/2021 at 3:27 PM, Essuuaitch said:

what England need  to be able to win one of the BIG tournaments is a  player cabable of running the game, an orchestrator if you like,  weve never ever had such a player  in the mould of pirlo, ballack, xavi, zidane or the likes. true weve had very good midfielders, defenders, strikers, full backs and  creative players throughout the last 50 years but no orchestrator as such.  trouble is that i dont really see one being unearthed any time soon  as those types usually seem to be foreign imports to the premier league restricting opportunities for english talent getting chance to develop.

maybe Scholes, Gerrard, Hoddle, or Wilkins  could have been taught to develop into this type with a few bits of tinkering but  so many times we end up playing important games at the oppositions tempo as we did last night. 

basically it was played in a manner that an old firm game would, and guess which side were more comfortable with that.

I feel sure Scholes, Gerrard or Lampard could have been that type of player. Unfortunately at the time we were saddled with managers who tried to play them all at the same time, so they ended up on the wing, wide forward or playing behind a lone striker and/or getting in each other's way.

Going back a bit further, I remember when we had guys like Paul Ince and Bryan Robson who were pretty good at it.

11 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Given we've now qualified before a ball has been kicked, there's no excuse not to go all out for the win and try and regain momentum.

Pfft. You're not thinking like Southgate.

Since we're through, the obvious thing to do is rest all our first choice players and treat this as a friendly. 😉

In all seriousness I'm now expecting this to be as bad as the Scotland game. ☹️

Although if he does change things up and use a lot of squad players, it probably won't be through lack of effort...more because they haven't had much game time.

• Uwe changed the title to EURO FINAL 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇮🇹