oneBoro Forum

EURO FINAL 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇮🇹

On 6/19/2021 at 3:27 PM, Essuuaitch said:

what England need  to be able to win one of the BIG tournaments is a  player cabable of running the game, an orchestrator if you like,  weve never ever had such a player  in the mould of pirlo, ballack, xavi, zidane or the likes. true weve had very good midfielders, defenders, strikers, full backs and  creative players throughout the last 50 years but no orchestrator as such.  trouble is that i dont really see one being unearthed any time soon  as those types usually seem to be foreign imports to the premier league restricting opportunities for english talent getting chance to develop.

maybe Scholes, Gerrard, Hoddle, or Wilkins  could have been taught to develop into this type with a few bits of tinkering but  so many times we end up playing important games at the oppositions tempo as we did last night. 

basically it was played in a manner that an old firm game would, and guess which side were more comfortable with that.

Scholes was exactly the type of player you're talking about. England accommodated Gerrard and Lampard instead of building a team around Scholes. Criminal.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heading away with the good lady wife so won’t be back on before the final. Sincerest best wishes to the ordinary English fans on here. Hope it happens for you 💪

Congrats, friends ...  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇩🇰 @ Wembley  ...   Good luck to y'all! 

Few excellent posts regarding the final and the tournament as a whole. On the pitch Southgate got basically every decision he made spot on leading upto the final. Even the decision to go to a win

Posted Images

Maguire and Henderson set to start/feature tonight.

Makes sense given we're through anyway, it gives them the vital minutes and strengthens us for the knockout stages.

Still an important match though, as it will decide our route to the final.

• Like 1

Yeah, absolutely makes sense to try and get Maguire and Henderson as many minutes as possible tonight. If they're not fit for tonight then it becomes a significant risk to introduce them at later stages. I still think Maguire in particular has to show he's a significant improvement on Mings as he's had a good tournament so far. That might sound mad in respect of their abilities at club level but y'know, momentum and all that.

• Like 1

You could potentially be up against som top quality opposition in the final 16. Spain, France, Germany, Portugal looks most likely regardless of how you finish, as I can see Sweden beating Poland to stay top of their group.

4 minutes ago, Borodane said:

You could potentially be up against som top quality opposition in the final 16. Spain, France, Germany, Portugal looks most likely regardless of how you finish, as I can see Sweden beating Poland to stay top of their group.

Have to beat good teams eventually. Just win your games, generate momentum and take that into tough games and play at Wembley doing it.

3 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

Would a draw be the best result for you maybe? 

What are the likely scenarios for opponents in the last 16? 

Likely Spain in Copenhagen and then France in Saint Petersburg if we draw.

Germany at Wembley and then Sweden in Rome if we win.

Obviously that's assuming the expected teams win in the round of 16.

But winning the group is a better route.

• Like 2
Just now, Brunners said:

Spain look *** horrible, I'd happily face them, if they even get through!

All it takes is one match for perception to change.

Germany looked terrible against France, they beat Portugal and now they're world beaters again.

Spain beat Germany 6-0 in November.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

All it takes is one match for perception to change.

Germany looked terrible against France, they beat Portugal and now they're world beaters again.

Spain beat Germany 6-0 in November.

Germany looked slightly off the pace vs one of the best teams in the world, before demolishing another one.

Spain have looked garbage against Sweden & Poland. Haven't even looked threatening. One game wouldn't change my perception of them in this tournament.

52 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Germany looked slightly off the pace vs one of the best teams in the world, before demolishing another one.

Spain have looked garbage against Sweden & Poland. Haven't even looked threatening. One game wouldn't change my perception of them in this tournament.

Haven't looked threatening? They've had two of the highest xg ratings in their two games so far. They've had more of the ball than any team at the tournament. Their finishing has ranged from awful to unlucky so far, this is the only thing holding them back. That can change very quickly (see 6-0) so I think it's crazy to write them off and I also think calling their performances garbage a little crazy too - they've been more impressive than England for example.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Haven't looked threatening? They've had two of the highest xg ratings in their two games so far. They've had more of the ball than any team at the tournament. Their finishing has ranged from awful to unlucky so far, this is the only thing holding them back. That can change very quickly (see 6-0) so I think it's crazy to write them off and I also think calling their performances garbage a little crazy too - they've been more impressive than England for example.

Thats pretty much what I was thinking.

They may not have scored many goals, but technically they're still a formidable team. I could see them running rings around England anyway.

1 hour ago, SmogDane said:

Would a draw be the best result for you maybe? 

What are the likely scenarios for opponents in the last 16? 

England need momentum and fast. Winning convincingly breeds that. 

I’m pretty sure it’s only fans that discuss trying to plot an easier route through a tournament by throwing games. It’s a sure fire way for players to lose their confidence in their manager.

a win is the only good result for England tonight.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Humpty said:

England need momentum and fast. Winning convincingly breeds that. 

I’m pretty sure it’s only fans that discuss trying to plot an easier route through a tournament by throwing games. It’s a sure fire way for players to lose their confidence in their manager.

a win is the only good result for England tonight.

Exactly... and even if we do draw and get an 'easy game' in the next round, there's  no guarantee we win it going in on poor form.

Plus we would only have to play a strong team in the following round anyway, with Italy Belgium and whoever wins France's group on that side of the draw. You can't hide from the best sides for long in the Euros.

Tonight's all about a good performance and getting the fans back on side for a home tie in the next round. It's guaranteed to be a tough game but we might as well fly home now if people are too scared to play Germany in a one off game. 

• Like 2
  • Uwe changed the title to EURO FINAL 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇮🇹