oneBoro Forum

EURO FINAL 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇮🇹

I wanted us to finish 2nd in the group to avoid France/Germany/Portugal in the last 16, not gonna lie.

Fact is though we'll have to play a big team at some point and at least by topping the group we're at Wembley, anything can happen. If we bore our way to the final like Portugal did last Euros I'm not going to complain!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heading away with the good lady wife so won’t be back on before the final. Sincerest best wishes to the ordinary English fans on here. Hope it happens for you 💪

Congrats, friends ...  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇩🇰 @ Wembley  ...   Good luck to y'all! 

Few excellent posts regarding the final and the tournament as a whole. On the pitch Southgate got basically every decision he made spot on leading upto the final. Even the decision to go to a win

Posted Images

Don’t worry. France will  beat Portugal and Germany will lose to Hungary. So we’ll get an exhausted Hungary next week #youheardithearfirst 😉

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, liambell42 said:

Anyone else think philips looked a lot better when rice went off and he was more central in front of the defence? Also in glad we will go out to a decent team this time. As long as they try put some effort in then I'll be happy 

He took over Rice's role in the 2nd half. That's his natural position. I thought he did a great job playing in a pivoting midfield three against Croatia but he seemed to struggle to get a foothold in the game against Scotland and first half of Czech Republic playing in a two. 

1 hour ago, Uwe said:

Don’t think we can match them players for player. But you’re right. Pack the midfield and hope Grealish or Sako can create a bit of magic

We're never going to match them player for player. Matching the formation up against them at least makes it harder for them to exploit England. Playing a 4231 for example could see them over run the midfield. The last thing you want to do against France is let them over run you in midfield.

• Like 1

I believe the squad has a lot of individual talent but is not a cohesive team. I don’t see a pattern and a lot of the moves are spontaneous reactions. Players are not reading each other, there is a lack of pass, move, receive mentally.  Some great individual runs but to many from the same players which is predictable. More times then enough they run into brick walls with no end result, or disrupt what little shape there was. We are not a balanced team and you don’t win tournaments with a bunch of individuals. 

If that was the result of releasing the reins I am not impressed enough to think we have a chance to go far, but saying that it’s best to take one game at the time and plan accordingly, so really we should not be reading to much into the group games. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Humpty said:

We're never going to match them player for player. Matching the formation up against them at least makes it harder for them to exploit England. Playing a 4231 for example could see them over run the midfield. The last thing you want to do against France is let them over run you in midfield.

You usually try to match the oppositions formation if you've got better players, which we haven't. 

To stop them playing you need to pack the spaces and try to stop them playing behind/through you. 

If that's the plan you could probably go 4-5-1, stop the full backs pushing forward, have 3 defensive midfielders and 2 wide players who are good athletes so they can defend and hit them on the break.

Obviously that's an extreme version of  *** house tactics, maybe there's way of fitting a Grealish/Mount in there as well. 

Edited by Duvel
  • Like 1
51 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Conversely mirroring their formation could also make it easier for them to beat us, if their players are individually better than ours. We'd just be reacting to them, instead of trying to take the initiative, or at least doing something different to give them something to think about.

I'm all about playing to the strengths of the players we have available, regardless of what the opposition do. The theory being that at least they should be comfortable with what they are asked to do and perform to their maximum.

Personally, I'd probably go something like this, bearing in mind our greater defensive needs against superior opposition:

465057126_EnglandLast16.PNG.f120d27937916105db2bca18a996d90b.PNG

Got attack-minded full backs to provide some width going forward, as well as extra bodies in defence. Henderson to sit in front of the back 3 and (hopefully) direct things in midfield, plus Mount & Foden to get forward and provide service (as well as added goal threat) to Saka & Sancho.

No idea if this would actually work...but then thats why I'm not the England manager... 🤷‍♂️ 😁

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I wanted us to finish 2nd in the group to avoid France/Germany/Portugal in the last 16, not gonna lie.

Fact is though we'll have to play a big team at some point and at least by topping the group we're at Wembley, anything can happen. If we bore our way to the final like Portugal did last Euros I'm not going to complain!

Legit sounds like that is the plan. Commentator yesterday said Southgate and Holland had "done research" and realised boring your way to the title is the most likely way to win it, apparently.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Yes me too I was hoping for a last gasp equaliser, I'm hoping that the team are brilliant next game and prove me wrong, but I just feel the other teams have players who can produce that bit of individual brilliance needed, we look stifled and devoid of ideas to create chances. I had high hopes before the tournament started but the manager gives me no confidence, the most inform fullback we have in the squad is Chillwell good defender and fast going forward, the striker  with the best heading ability is Calvert Lewin outstanding season for Everton, neither have had a look in, narrow minded manager who has Plan A and nothing more this squad deserves much better.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Rioch's Braves said:

Yes me too I was hoping for a last gasp equaliser, I'm hoping that the team are brilliant next game and prove me wrong, but I just feel the other teams have players who can produce that bit of individual brilliance needed, we look stifled and devoid of ideas to create chances. I had high hopes before the tournament started but the manager gives me no confidence, the most inform fullback we have in the squad is Chillwell good defender and fast going forward, the striker  with the best heading ability is Calvert Lewin outstanding season for Everton, neither have had a look in, narrow minded manager who has Plan A and nothing more this squad deserves much better.  

Same here.

I also don't think we'll be able to bore our way to the final, because at some point we'll get into a penalty shootout.

I mean we beat Colombia last time out, but aside from that our record is pretty dismal.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Same here.

I also don't think we'll be able to bore our way to the final, because at some point we'll get into a penalty shootout.

I mean we beat Colombia last time out, but aside from that our record is pretty dismal.

We beat Switzerland in a penalty shootout more recently than the Colombian one.

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

We beat Switzerland in a penalty shootout more recently than the Colombian one.

Nations League 3rd place play-off isn't quite the same thing though, is it?

Also Switzerland aren't as good as the teams we'll be facing this time.

1 minute ago, AnglianRed said:

It's a penalty shootout.

Quality rarely comes in to it at the top level.

But we do have a 100% shootout record under Southgate.

1 minute ago, AnglianRed said:

They are and penalties. That was the first penalty shootout they lost since 1954. (Please don’t fact check this as I may have just made it up) 

• Haha 3

Graeme Souness was spot on after the Scotland game you can't play Rice and Philips in the same starting eleven far too similar, Henderson should be back in on Tuesday which allows Phillips to venture further forward. Personally I'd be playing one holding midfielder and both Grealish and Foden would be in on Tuesday along with Ben Chillwell, not something the opposition would be expecting.

• Like 1
  • Uwe changed the title to EURO FINAL 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇮🇹