oneBoro Forum

EURO FINAL ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ V ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น

3 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

Sky reporting 5 at the back with rice and Phillips centre mid. This is gonna be a hard watch after yesterday's games

The right decision. Germany keep possession very well and England will need to soak it up. They'll look to get Sterling/Foden/Saka in down the channels either side of Hummels to turn him. Sit Phillips on Kroos to stop him dictating.ย 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heading away with the good lady wife so wonโ€™t be back on before the final. Sincerest best wishes to the ordinary English fans on here. Hope it happens for you ๐Ÿ’ช

Congrats, friends ...ย  ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ V ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฐ @ Wembleyย  ...ย ย  Good luck to y'all!ย 

Few excellent posts regarding the final and the tournament as a whole. On the pitch Southgate got basically every decision he made spot on leading upto the final. Even the decision to go to a win

Posted Images

Very boldย line up and very brave on Southgates behalf as if Germany score early on it ruins the whole point in setting up that way and Southgate will be hammered by the media and fans alike I think its already started on twitter. That said I think the Portugal game probably influenced this significantly so can understand the cautious approach. That said I think we do have players capable of outplayingย their German counterparts in an attacking sense. I will be over the moon with a 1-0 borefest if its in Englands favour.

17 minutes ago, Humpty said:

The right decision. Germany keep possession very well and England will need to soak it up. They'll look to get Sterling/Foden/Saka in down the channels either side of Hummels to turn him. Sit Phillips on Kroos to stop him dictating.ย 

On the other hand, England have cried out for players like foden, grealish, Sancho for years and now they have them all, the manager isn't able to find a system to accommodate them and make other teams think about what they are doing instead of the other way around. On paper, England's squad is better than Germany's, so why are they setting up to contain?

• Like 2

It is all in Southgates mindset, his first thought is to look at the strengths of the opposition as a defender and try and nullify it, with no plan B if it all goes wrong as in the semi with Croatia.ย If it is indeed three at the back plus wingbacks plus Phillips and Rice in midfield then we will hand the initiative straight to the Germans who will play in our half and bet on their own wingbacks being better than ours. I thought with the youngย attacking talent we now have we could try and dictate our own style on the opposition, but I donโ€™t hold out much hope, too many false dawns over the years I guess.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

On the other hand, England have cried out for players like foden, grealish, Sancho for years and now they have them all, the manager isn't able to find a system to accommodate them and make other teams think about what they are doing instead of the other way around. On paper, England's squad is better than Germany's, so why are they setting up to contain?

If we are going with 5 at the back, as reported, 2 DMs seems a bit overkill...even more so given they haven't seemed to work very well together so far.

If Rice and Philips are playing, it sounds more like we're going 3-4-3 with wide players who can drop back when necessary. Which I worry will make us too defensive minded.

I'd rather we went with a proper 5 at the back with 3 in midfield. Either Rice or Philips, plus 2 from Mount, Foden & Grealish.

Then we can still have Kane +1 up front...Sancho or Saka...

920269071_EnglandvGermanyEuro2020.PNG.55e8c42526be3434f3a71742aa04998b.PNG

ย 

ย 

10 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

On paper, England's squad is better than Germany's, so why are they setting up to contain?

Because Germany have completely dominated the wide areas, dominated possession and have a huge pass success rate. They are better at all those things than we are this tournament and they've done it against 2 very good teams so far. We can't just pretend that doesn't exist because we have good attacking players. Germany's first 11 isn't worse than ours, either.

I'm worried about not being able to get out by picking the wrong players further up but I don't think we can just throw caution to the wind because we have some good attacking midfielders. Portugal and France aren't too shabby in those areas of the pitch but it didn't make too much of a difference during the games, even if France did win by the odd own goal.

If we can beat Germany, there will be time to find something more positive and time to be critical for not doing it from the off. I don't think tonight is really that time. One of my worries however is if Germany find their way through us anyway, probably not too difficult to contemplate given a back 4 should have been enough in other games but we still conceded some decent chances, that Germany grab the first goal and the whole idea of protecting what we have goes out the window. I don't think at any stage we can be chasing this game, mainly as I don't trust Southgate to make the changes he actuallyย needs to make.

2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Because Germany have completely dominated the wide areas, dominated possession and have a huge pass success rate. They are better at all those things than we are this tournament and they've done it against 2 very good teams so far. We can't just pretend that doesn't exist because we have good attacking players. Germany's first 11 isn't worse than ours, either.

I'm worried about not being able to get out by picking the wrong players further up but I don't think we can just throw caution to the wind because we have some good attacking midfielders. Portugal and France aren't too shabby in those areas of the pitch but it didn't make too much of a difference during the games, even if France did win by the odd own goal.

If we can beat Germany, there will be time to find something more positive and time to be critical for not doing it from the off. I don't think tonight is really that time. One of my worries however is if Germany find their way through us anyway, probably not too difficult to contemplate given a back 4 should have been enough in other games but we still conceded some decent chances, that Germany grab the first goal and the whole idea of protecting what we have goes out the window. I don't think at any stage we can be chasing this game, mainly as I don't trust Southgate to make the changes he actuallyย needs to make.

You haven't even tried those things at this tournament so you can't say they're better at it than you. You more than have the players for it, it would suit them far better to be on the front foot. Look at what foden, walker, stones and sterling do at city. They don't let the opposition near the ball regardless of who they are. Mount, James and chillwell have the same approach at Chelsea. Rice is far more progressive for West ham than he is for England. The squad is absolutely there to dominate the ball, your manager just had no interest in coaching it that way.ย 

• Like 2

3-4-3 doesn't have to be negative... Germany do it and attack with 6 players. All depends on whether our wing-backs can choose the right moments to bomb on and counter. The counter attacks will be so important today, we have to get them right.ย 

Will be a bloody long game if we're camped in our box for 90 minutes while they spam crosses into Havertz - something will drop for them at some point if that happens.ย 

Think this could be a very close game and if we do get in front, we need to manage last thirty minutes in a way that doesn't hand initiative to Germans, May be wrong but memory tells me that we tend to score early and concede late, so if we need to put extra defenders on towards end, make sure that they are subbed early enough to make difference and don't stick to like for like ..ย  mind you, I don't want to see a rerun of "Zulu" either. This game could well hinge on whichever team can take the pressure, so hopefully, the old heads are able to keep control and make sure no one gets too wound up. Good luck to the lads and give us a good show.ย ย 

51 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I think he's just being pragmatic. The research he's done, tells him more often than not,ย clean sheets win tournaments. He certainly hasn't got the best out of his attacking talent, but in the same instance, quite a few of those players are out of form Rashford, Sterling, Kane...even Grealish has just returned from a lengthy injury. They aren't exactly firing, so he's finding a way to win.ย 

Just now, Humpty said:

I think he's just being pragmatic. The research he's done, tells him more often than not,ย clean sheets win tournaments. If you can make a team solid when it's component, defensive parts are apparently weak, then you already have the fire power at your disposal to do well. He certainly hasn't got the best out of his attacking talent, but in the same instance, quite a few of those players are out of form Rashford, Sterling, Kane...even Grealish has just returned from a lengthy injury. They aren't exactly firing, so he's finding a way to win.ย 

So is it the wrong decision it you lose tonight? Or does it just get put down to Germany being a better team?

I'd put it down to Germany being a better team. As i said the attacking talent hasn't clicked. Playing this way plays to England's current strengths.

• Sad 1

My fear tonight is that we'll set out to grind out a 1-0 win and lose in a very tight game instead.ย 

Its such a great opportunity make history tonight and I'd rather play to play great than play to contain.ย 

How many chances to you get to play Germany at home in a major tournament and I don't want Southgate or the players to have any regrets after tonight.ย 

4 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I'd put it down to Germany being a better team. As i said the attacking talent hasn't clicked. Playing this way plays to England's current strengths.

Are you not asking why?

• Uwe changed the title to EURO FINAL ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ V ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น