oneBoro Forum

EURO FINAL ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ V ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น

5 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I'd put it down to Germany being a better team. As i said the attacking talent hasn't clicked. Playing this way plays to England's current strengths.

The attacking talent hasn't clicked because our primary aim as a team has been to keep clean sheets. We haven't really gave it a chance to click.ย 

If this approach works and we win the tournament then great but if we go out playing this way then Southgate is going to get hammered.ย 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heading away with the good lady wife so wonโ€™t be back on before the final. Sincerest best wishes to the ordinary English fans on here. Hope it happens for you ๐Ÿ’ช

Congrats, friends ...ย  ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ V ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฐ @ Wembleyย  ...ย ย  Good luck to y'all!ย 

Few excellent posts regarding the final and the tournament as a whole. On the pitch Southgate got basically every decision he made spot on leading upto the final. Even the decision to go to a win

Posted Images

Iโ€™m not sure i agree with that. When youโ€™ve got Kane, Sterling, Saka and Grealish in the same team can you really be accused of playing it safe? Itโ€™s true heโ€™s tried to protect, what we believe to be,ย a vulnerable defence especially in Maguireโ€™s absence however a number of those forward players are just out of form. I would question why Sancho hasnโ€™t played but I think Southgate was trying to play the out of form players, into form.ย 

19 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

You haven't even tried those things at this tournament so you can't say they're better at it than you. You more than have the players for it, it would suit them far better to be on the front foot. Look at what foden, walker, stones and sterling do at city. They don't let the opposition near the ball regardless of who they are. Mount, James and chillwell have the same approach at Chelsea. Rice is far more progressive for West ham than he is for England. The squad is absolutely there to dominate the ball, your manager just had no interest in coaching it that way.ย 

I mean, for a start, you're comparing the abilities of Gareth Southgate with Pep Guardiola and Thomas Tuchel in how they can get their players and teams to play. City and Chelsea are also arguably better teams all round than England are, their squads are better and whilst these players exist within those sides, they're not really much to do with why they work barring maybe Mount at Chelsea? You could maybe say Phillips at Leeds is important to what they do too.ย That's not a good start.

Even just comparing to his opposite number, Joachim Low is a much more experienced coach than Southgate is, especially at this level. There are players in his team that Germany have been playing with, or at least been part of their squad, for ages. Their team has 3 centurions in it, whom with all their caps have been under Low.ย Our most capped players have barely half of that, their average is 12 above ours.

We are who we are, we've got a manager in place who isn't one of the best in the world and as such isn't going to change tact from a way of playing that's got us to the last 16 after winning our group. They've got a game plan that is working and is showing dominance. It would be illogical at this stage of the tournament to change and say "Actually, y'know what, lets get Sancho, Grealish and Foden all on and let them worry aboutย us!" The time to do that may have been in the group stages or the warm-up games and yeah I'm a bit annoyed we didn't take more chances there to try those things out but that ultimately influences how we can approach this game.

Time will tell tonight if we approached it right or wrong. But in advance of the game, I don't get why you seem to be talking about this as if we should definitely win it, as if Germany should be rolled over by the quality of our players alone, as if if we had a manager that got the best out of those players would make it a foregone conclusion. Shows very little respect to the German team and what they are capable of tbh.

2 minutes ago, Humpty said:

When youโ€™ve got Kane, Sterling, Saka and Grealish in the same team can you really be accused of playing it safe?

Yeah I think we did, for short spells I thought we committed players forward but for the majority of the time I thought we tried to keep a very tight shape. And in the second half we definitely tried to see the game out at 1-0.ย 

Everyone has been saying that Kane is out of form but he's had very little service.ย 

I'm surprised that anyone who has watched us can think we've been anything other than cautious in our approach.ย 

I think the result will say a lot. If yous get past Germany he'll be vindicated. But if you don't, and you also don't have a proper go, he'll be crucified - and rightly so. Coming away from the tournament with nothing to show for it - apart from 3 clean sheets in the group stage - will be a disaster. Even if Spain get knocked out in the next round they'll have had an amazing time seeing their team dismantle Slovakia and that crazy game yesterday. Great memories regardless of if they go on and win it. England need to at least get to the final to make this pragmatism worthwhile.

Boro completely mirror this for the last 5 or 6 years btw.ย 

2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Thats what I was thinking, we've had the exact same conversations on here.ย 

I was happy with it while it was working under Karanka but when we got to the top level and were overly cautious then you just have regrets that you never gave it a go.ย 

Wilson makes a good point that you can't just go gung-ho tonight but I think we need a better balance between defence and attack.ย 

When you look at Germany individually they have some great players but as a team they've looked very beatable over the last 12 months.ย 

6 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I think the result will say a lot. If yous get past Germany he'll be vindicated. But if you don't, and you also don't have a proper go, he'll be crucified - and rightly so. Coming away from the tournament with nothing to show for it - apart from 3 clean sheets in the group stage - will be a disaster. Even if Spain get knocked out in the next round they'll have had an amazing time seeing their team dismantle Slovakia and that crazy game yesterday. Great memories regardless of if they go on and win it. England need to at least get to the final to make this pragmatism worthwhile.

In the grand scheme of things, the only way Southgate comes out of this game with any praise is by winning it, however which way he does. I honestly don't think it means anything whether we have a go or not, if we lose, we will have deserved to lose because of him and his position will be questioned.

2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

In the grand scheme of things, the only way Southgate comes out of this game with any praise is by winning it, however which way he does. I honestly don't think it means anything whether we have a go or not, if we lose, we will have deserved to lose because of him and his position will be questioned.

If we lose 3-2 in extra time after having a go and being positive then he might get criticised but if we lose 1-0 in a stinker without threatening their goal the criticism is going to be a million times worse.ย 

Southgate is putting his neck on the chopping block playing this way, he knows that (he's certainly not daft) and I suppose its brave of him to stick to his guns.ย 

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Agree with that - every manager is ultimately judged on results, but even more so for the pragmatic ones.

Doing it the fun way at least earns you some good will in the bank - Ole at United seems a good example. Hasn't won anything but they score plenty of goals and turn their rivals over just enough to keep people happy.ย 

Just now, TeaCider24 said:

I think he's destined to get slaughtered however we play if we lose.

There's a sizeable minority who want him out now, and they'll take any opportunity.

I don't agree with that at all.ย 

Just now, TeaCider24 said:

There's a sizeable minority who want him out now, and they'll take any opportunity.

Exactly, I think the majority of the national consensus is pre-written in the event of a win or a loss, to be honest. I bet most the headlines have been decided upon already.

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

Exactly, I think the majority of the national consensus is pre-written in the event of a win or a loss, to be honest. I bet most the headlines have been decided upon already.

Relevant.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Absolutely spot on. A few more interested in being proven right than seeing England do well.

• Like 1
  • Uwe changed the title to EURO FINAL ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ V ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น