oneBoro Forum

EURO FINAL 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇮🇹

1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

This was the scene all over northern Ireland this weekend, as it is every year on this date. In case anyone is unsure of why people here might not be so fond of the British/English influence in our country and why that might spill into a desire for England not to win!

Anyway, last I'll say on the matter, good luck to the english team this evening, hoping for a good game. 

Screenshot_20210711-145554.png

Well Ireland / Northern Ireland has a far more recent history of violence than most other places, which the Good Friday Agreement didn't entirely dispel.

There are still idiots and terrorist elements that want to see a return to the bad old days of the Troubles...which is an extension of the independence movement that started around the turn of last century?

I appreciate that feelings may still be raw on both sides, but the sheer stupidity on both sides that is keeping the hatred alive is just as nonsensical as the fact of some Scots still hating the English over what Elizabeth I did to her sister and various historic battles.

This is why humanity is ultimately doomed to destroy itself.

We're so busy hating each other over *** that happened centuries ago (or in some cases decades ago) and cling so stubbornly to the past, that there can never be a peaceful future.

That goes for conflicts all over the world, not just British national rivalry / hatred.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heading away with the good lady wife so won’t be back on before the final. Sincerest best wishes to the ordinary English fans on here. Hope it happens for you 💪

Congrats, friends ...  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇩🇰 @ Wembley  ...   Good luck to y'all! 

Few excellent posts regarding the final and the tournament as a whole. On the pitch Southgate got basically every decision he made spot on leading upto the final. Even the decision to go to a win

Posted Images

Just now, Rioch's Braves said:

Will definitely have the game on the BBC, can't listen to Sam Whats he's face on ITV awful commentator full of meaningless stats. " Denmark look as if they're playing with one short of their staff" meaning they've only got 10 men on the pitch, what a clown.

Was one of the worst commentating performances I've ever heard that, I think even most die hard english fans were cringing at the rubbish he was coming out with in the last couple of mins.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Was one of the worst commentating performances I've ever heard that, I think even most die hard english fans were cringing at the rubbish he was coming out with in the last couple of mins.

Yes dreadful, if ITV are happy with Matterface's commentating performance's over these Euro's they must be easily pleased.

• Like 1

I don't think there's anything about the ITV experience that is better than the BBC's. Mowbray is better than Matterface, Jenas is better than Dixon, Lineker is better than whatever-his-name-is who hosts the ITV one. The punditry is a bit mixed, there's a few I like on each side. The experience overall is just better with the BBC though, in full control of the build-up, no cutting to ad breaks beyond the odd Wimbledon/Olympics mention.

Oh and ITV Hub is crap. I don't know if they have a premium version or something but the semi final the other night looked like it was barely pushing out 720p on the big tele. BBC has had the option for 4K streams through iPlayer (though you have to get in early apparently) and defaults at what looks like 1080p when it's not that.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I've got butterflies in my stomach, feeling nervous already. God I know it's "only" football but if we actually won the trophy it would be immense.

Yes I  know how you feel, gonna have a few beers to try and calm myself, non football fans don't realise what us footy fans go through they need to show us more sympathy.  

Besides the results tonight, there's a few other things being played for. I think player of the tournament will be between the two sides and all of the below are currently on par, so whoever the best player tonight will probably win it-

Sterling - kinda dragged England through the group stage himself and has been dangerous throughout. Still think his end product has let him down more often than not and his dive brings him down a peg or two in my estimation - though I understand that view isn't shared widely on here. 

Walker - unsung hero - said during the Denmark game that he is the main reason England aren't conceding much, his pace on the recovery allows England to over load the box when crosses are coming in which is why England have scored so many in the 6 yard box. 

Jorginho - has dominated in pretty much all of the games, is a much more progressive footballer in Italy's blue compared to Chelsea's. He's been Italy's best player imo and is my favourite to win player of the tournament. 

Donnarumma - his general performance has been excellent and he was great in the penalty shootout Vs Spain also. I think he only wins it if it goes to penalties and he comes up with more heroics. 

Insigne - close call between him and chiesa, but given his more minutes on the pitch and more consistent performances I'd say insigne has been italys best attacking players. 

Anyone think anyone outside of those 5 deserve it?

Honourable mentions (either due to not making it to the final or not getting enough games) - Simon kjaer, spinazzola, Maguire, Pedri, verratti, probably loads others that aren't coming to kind right now. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Besides the results tonight, there's a few other things being played for. I think player of the tournament will be between the two sides and all of the below are currently on par, so whoever the best player tonight will probably win it-

Sterling - kinda dragged England through the group stage himself and has been dangerous throughout. Still think his end product has let him down more often than not and his dive brings him down a peg or two in my estimation - though I understand that view isn't shared widely on here. 

Walker - unsung hero - said during the Denmark game that he is the main reason England aren't conceding much, his pace on the recovery allows England to over load the box when crosses are coming in which is why England have scored so many in the 6 yard box. 

Jorginho - has dominated in pretty much all of the games, is a much more progressive footballer in Italy's blue compared to Chelsea's. He's been Italy's best player imo and is my favourite to win player of the tournament. 

Donnarumma - his general performance has been excellent and he was great in the penalty shootout Vs Spain also. I think he only wins it if it goes to penalties and he comes up with more heroics. 

Insigne - close call between him and chiesa, but given his more minutes on the pitch and more consistent performances I'd say insigne has been italys best attacking players. 

Honourable mentions (either due to not making it to the final or not getting enough games) - Simon kjaer, spinazzola, Maguire, Pedri, verratti, probably loads others that aren't coming to kind right now. 

An England win and its got to be Sterling not just for his goals but his assists and the way he's led the England line he's been superb. 

I'm feeling fairly relaxed as it stands. Be very excited all day however. Give it another hour and I'll be feeling nervous as anything! 

I'm confident we can win that said it's going to be one hell of a roller coaster tonight! Just hope it isn't like Boro vs Norwich in the play-offs. 😬

Not 100% sure how true these are but they estimate 1/4 of English workers have booked tomorrow off. And they estimate that today/tonight alone might add upto £3 Billion to the economy! 😂

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

I reckon Chiellini wins it if Italy win, him or Jorginho.

If England win, I think Sterling.

I think the only downer against Chiellini is that he missed a couple of games with injury, Bonnucci has played well not just defensively but his long ball play has been so accurate.

16 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

For me Kjær wins it for saving his team mates life..

• Like 3

My thoughts on the anti English feelings 

it's a disgusting lazy stereotype to keep attaching the English people to a past that we’ve overwhelmingly wanted to move away from and this won't be the last time people from another country label them us such a way.
Politically speaking, I wouldn't be too surprised to find out the instigators of the abuse would situate themselves further right than the majority of the people they target with this slander.

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think all that's been said here is about being supportive or being against nations and that becomes part of sport too. It's not saying me or you are *** but saying there is historical reference to a generalised distaste/hatred.

It does feel like a lot of the chatter around this has just been ultra-defensive of why others should even view England in such a negative way when we have no right to tell others what their experiences are of growing up in their nation and their respective experiences of us. We aren't in their shoes and maybe if we were, we'd feel similar.

In a similar way way nobody can take away @Uwe or @RiseAgainst's experiences of Scotland, or @BearSmog's experiences of Wales and how that may or may not effect their position on those respective nations.

I haven't read all the chat about why we are defensive to be honest so sorry NB4 if I've missed the point. 

I just thought I'd look on the forum to see what people are saying about the match and saw someone post a picture of a bonfire in Ireland as one of the examples of why people don't like the English. 

Maybe I'm wrong but I can't imagine any English people were responsible for burning the tricolour in Belfast/Derry or wherever that is. 

I know 'our' history and that's why some of the Irish don't like us but I get defensive when its aimed at people of my generation. If anyone else wants to make the point of why we are disliked then carry on. Maybe post some pictures of dead bodies after bloody Sunday or Bobby Sands where he's starving to death. 

I'll go elsewhere for the football chat. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I haven't read all the chat about why we are defensive to be honest so sorry NB4 if I've missed the point. 

I just thought I'd look on the forum to see what people are saying about the match and saw someone post a picture of a bonfire in Ireland as one of the examples of why people don't like the English. 

Maybe I'm wrong but I can't imagine any English people were responsible for burning the tricolour in Belfast/Derry or wherever that is. 

I know 'our' history and that's why some of the Irish don't like us but I get defensive when its aimed at people of my generation. If anyone else wants to make the point of why we are disliked then carry on. Maybe post some pictures of dead bodies after bloody Sunday or Bobby Sands where he's starving to death. 

I'll go elsewhere for the football chat. 

That more or less my sentiments.

At some point you just have to let go of the past and move on. Otherwise you're doomed to eternal conflict.

Sadly, there are too many unwilling to do that.