oneBoro Forum

EURO FINAL 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇮🇹

Just now, AnglianRed said:

Yeah but thats generally athletics, motorsports etc. where they have podiums with 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. Or the Olympics.

Football is rather different.

As I said ... Many team sports have a specific 3rd place game  .... 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heading away with the good lady wife so won’t be back on before the final. Sincerest best wishes to the ordinary English fans on here. Hope it happens for you 💪

Congrats, friends ...  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇩🇰 @ Wembley  ...   Good luck to y'all! 

Few excellent posts regarding the final and the tournament as a whole. On the pitch Southgate got basically every decision he made spot on leading upto the final. Even the decision to go to a win

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

As I said ... Many team sports have a specific 3rd place game  .... 

Well done for completely ignoring my point that football ISN'T like those other sports (except at the Olympics). 🤦‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Brunners said:

We literally played in one at the 2018 world cup.

Yes but who really cared? We also lost the game...

I'm pretty sure none of the players will care to be reminded of it. Most fans won't have cared much about it either. I didn't watch it anyway.

To repeat my earlier point, I can understand silver and bronze medals for sports that traditionally have podium placings and events with medal tables (e.g. the Olympics) where number & type of medals can affect a country's standings.

But since these don't apply in football, I fail to see the point in having them (anywhere BUT the Olympics).

5 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

Yeah, but your first comment was, that it was HIS choice ... It was GS

You don't think if Henderson really wanted to take a penalty, Southgate wouldn't have given it to him? The manager will pick who they feel is most confident of scoring, if he didn't pick henderson it's because he didn't show that he wanted to take one enough. He wasn't even in his top 10. 

Its easy in hindsight but I don't think the placed penalty was the right tactic against Donarumma. 

He's so big that I think you need to drill the ball past him. 

• Like 2

Maguire's penalty is how to take a penalty, smashing it into the top corner. It gives a keeper little to no chance even if he guesses correctly as the pace on the ball will carry it in.

As soon as I see hops, wiggles, shimmy's, skips and jumps I cringe. Poor substitutions by Gareth and then very poor Penalty management and organisation. If that is what the players deliver when they practice them then all I can say is the rest who didn't take them must be truly horrific in practice.

• Like 3
Just now, Duvel said:

Its easy in hindsight but I don't think the placed penalty was the right tactic against Donarumma. 

He's so big that I think you need to drill the ball past him. 

Agree. Kane and Maguires were excellent. Went downhill from there.

If only Rashfords had been on target though...

• Like 2
1 minute ago, AnglianRed said:

Well done for completely ignoring my point that football ISN'T like those other sports (except at the Olympics). 🤦‍♂️

Yes but who really cared? We also lost the game...

I'm pretty sure none of the players will care to be reminded of it. Most fans won't have cared much about it either. I didn't watch it anyway.

Well, buddy .. The talk was, that it was a disrespectful thing to take that silver medal off ..  And I just told you, in many team sports .. Even other football tournaments .. They play for 3rd place .. Sp dont tell me, that the 3rd place winner would take it off, before it rested around their necks .. 

A silver medal is an honour .. it's not a noose .. 

4 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Rashford is second choice for utd I think. Kane number one for his.

Beyond that you're right I think. 

So then I suppose you have to ask yourself whether it's better to try and win the game, and use your substitutes for that purpose, or if we are happy to wait for penalties.  The pattern of the game was set from about half an hour in, as Italy began to exert more control.  We allowed that to continue well into the second half before we tried to change anything, and even then our changes during the 90 mins were Henderson and Saka.  I'm not sure those two are capable of turning a game around that we were struggling a bit in.  Grealish came on 10 mins into extra time I think?  For someone who has spoken about the strength of his squad, he seemed oddly reluctant to use it when we were up against it.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

You don't think if Henderson really wanted to take a penalty, Southgate wouldn't have given it to him? The manager will pick who they feel is most confident of scoring, if he didn't pick henderson it's because he didn't show that he wanted to take one enough. He wasn't even in his top 10. 

He didn't ASK to get subbed ... IF he didnt get subbed .. he would have WANTED to take one

Mr Southgate, you set the team up well in the first half, but answer these questions, when Mancini changed his set up at half time and dominated our midfield, why did you do precisely nothing.  Why did you leave Mount on the pitch when the game was passing him by. Why did you put Henderson on to do exactly the same thing that wasn’t working. Why leave your substitutions so late so that they didn’t have time to change the game. And finally why subject a 19 year old kid to that pressure. Just left a very full pub that believeMr Southgate that you cost us that game, the same as you cost us the Croatia game.

Considering the relative youth of the squad, I think they should be given credit for doing as well as they did, the Italians improved after the first half hour and we didn't. Southgate made errors but players who had good games earlier seemed to find the occasion too much..  The kids took responsibility when others didn't and they shouldn't be given the Mbappe treatment. If I was a neutral, I would probably have to say the tournament's best team won the trophy..  We can do all the coulda shoulda stuff or say, "Well done lads, you did better than the Germans, French, Belgians and other teams that we thought would have a better chance than us of winning". I think that this squad can still improve a lot given their age and sincerely hope they are given the chance  

• Like 3

honestly if you'd said before we kicked off vs croatia that England would:

Reach a final.
Not concede a goal for the first 5 straight games.
Knock out Germany
Lose on penalties to comfortably the best team in the tournament

I'd have snapped your hands off I think; so this tournament can't be seen as anything other than a success. Everyone needs to remember that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, SmogDane said:

Well, buddy .. The talk was, that it was a disrespectful thing to take that silver medal off ..  And I just told you, in many team sports .. Even other football tournaments .. They play for 3rd place .. Sp dont tell me, that the 3rd place winner would take it off, before it rested around their necks .. 

A silver medal is an honour .. it's not a noose .. 

I don't think its disrespectful to take it off. It would be disrespectful to refuse to let the guy put it on your neck in the first place or to throw it on the floor in a temper, but taking it off after accepting it is just disappointment. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SmogDane said:

He didn't ASK to get subbed ... IF he didnt get subbed .. he would have WANTED to take one

It was clearly a pre empted thing mate. He didnt suddenly decide 28 mins into extra time that Henderson can't take a penalty. He'd already decided who his penalty takers were and he wasn't part of his plans. You can blame that on the manager or on the player, I tend to think that a player that experienced should be gagging to take a penalty and make sure that his manager doesn't make that decision for him.