oneBoro Forum

EURO FINAL 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇮🇹

9 hours ago, Duvel said:

I'm sure they tuck them away for fun in training, its a different ball game when the pressure is on! 

If we keep telling ourselves that we are unlucky then we'll never improve our shootout record. 

As a penalty taker you are in total control of the situation, strike the ball well and you'll score 9 times out of 10. 

But the way so many players take penalties - faffing around with their run-ups - makes me think they put more effort into that than actually putting the ball in the net.

I just wonder why they can't take their cues from guys like Shaw and Kane, instead of trying to create their own dance routines?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heading away with the good lady wife so won’t be back on before the final. Sincerest best wishes to the ordinary English fans on here. Hope it happens for you 💪

Congrats, friends ...  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇩🇰 @ Wembley  ...   Good luck to y'all! 

Few excellent posts regarding the final and the tournament as a whole. On the pitch Southgate got basically every decision he made spot on leading upto the final. Even the decision to go to a win

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Changing Times said:

I know it wasn't mate.  Some of us are capable of understanding what is being said and how it's being said, that's why I knew I could call you a name without it breaking you.

Timothy!

8 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Why can't we just bloody enjoy a final, why can't we just respectfully enjoy a football match, why do we have to read any comments about this kind of behaviour.

Seems a bit daft in retrospect to have the final kick off so late. I kind of thought that earlier looking at Leicester Square. 8pm kick-off on a Sunday of all things. Seems ridiculous.

I know Trafalgar Square got worse after I left it 6 years ago for the play-off final but whilst I was there, the worst thing that was going on was people occupying the statue and putting their own lives at risk and something I didn't like very much was the lads booting a footy around that ended up bouncing around the nearby road. That was bad for sure, this is somehow even worse.

The Leicester Square thing, throwing bloody glass bottles around in the air, there's no preparation for that, there's no singular target of potential injury there, that's literally everyone beware 'cause there's absolute arseholes hanging around there and making an absolute mess at the risk of everybody else.

Idiots spoiling it for everybody else. Far too many for my liking.

Feels like we're sliding rapidly back towards the 1980s... 

This kind of crap, combined with the behaviour inside the stadium just convinces me even more England should play behind closed doors.

The culture of hooliganism seems to be on the rise once more.

Agree its a (sizeable) minority of idiots ruining for everyone else, but until this kind of behaviour can be stamped out / controlled, or we start rounding these thugs up and locking them up for a decent stretch, ordinary decent fans will never be safe.

As others have been saying on the radio - where the hell were the police?

Every Boro away game I've been to, I've seen a sizeable police presence, including mounted police, on the way to the ground.

Why wasn't there that kind of deployment for the final of a major tournament in the nation's capital?

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Brunners said:

honestly if you'd said before we kicked off vs croatia that England would:

Reach a final.
Not concede a goal for the first 5 straight games.
Knock out Germany
Lose on penalties to comfortably the best team in the tournament

I'd have snapped your hands off I think; so this tournament can't be seen as anything other than a success. Everyone needs to remember that.

Agree (mostly) - though I think Italy were definitely beatable, if only we'd got about them more like we did in the first half.

I'm still unhappy about how we played 2nd half and knowing that for once I was right about my prediction that we'd lose if it went to penalties.

But looking at the big picture, we still reached our first final for 55 years and generally played well throughout the tournament. Maybe not the most exciting football, but it was effective, for the most part.

IMO regardless of what anyone says, Southgate is still the best manager we've had since Alf Ramsey. He's got us to a semi-final and the final of successive tournaments. He and the players have a chance to get over this defeat next year. Hopefully they will be that much wiser and more resilient and can take that final step.

• Like 3

Just been reading up on the behavior of the English fans during and after the match yesterday. Following the penalty on Hungary I think uefa are going to come down hard on England and if you had any hopes of getting a Euro of World Cup finals anytime soon you’re going to be disappointed. 

2 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Just been reading up on the behavior of the English fans during and after the match yesterday. Following the penalty on Hungary I think uefa are going to come down hard on England and if you had any hopes of getting a Euro of World Cup finals anytime soon you’re going to be disappointed. 

If the Hungary thing is anything to go off, I doubt it's going to affect the World Cup in any way.

It's so disheartening to wake up to this rubbish. I'm not shocked by it, which isn't good either.

It's bad enough having lost the game, some of the fans and social media knobheads in the aftermath are making this significantly worse.

• Like 1

Honestly I went to bed knowing what I would wake up to. Parts of this country are disgustingly predictable. Needs to be stamped out hard but the government won't do anything, they were basically encouraging booing of taking the knee just a couple weeks ago.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Borodane said:

You never know they gave a world cup to Russia and Qatar maybe our behaviour will enhance our chances 😏. Its an absolute shame that given what could have been a special night it was marred by the fans.

On the game Italy deservedly won as we just had nothing after half time. That said we looked comfortable (bar Chiesa who is going to be some player) Italy i didn't feel were going to score bar a scramble or something special. I feel this game Southgate should have started with Saka and then bring him off rather than coming on as an impact sub. I think Jorginho was lucky to stay on for his challenge on Grealish although given he missed his penalty and I doubt we would have won it even against 10 men so wouldn't say I was angered by the decision. Italy have always been our bogey team and we are long overdue getting one over them hopefully next year.

The turning point in the shootout was Rashford's miss i think if he scored we would have won which was such a shame.

Still there's a lot of promise in this squad and mostly all the players have another 3-4 tournaments at least in them. Especially when you think the likes of Foden and Sancho didn't play a lot who look like they're going to get better. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Borodane said:

The thing is that won’t punish the right people. The hooligan element don’t want us to host the World Cup or euros. Those people would much rather rather travel to a Germany or Italy and cause their own brand of havoc there. Absolute scum bags the lot of them

• Like 2

I think Southgate has been doing an excellent job but our 2nd half tactics were awful sitting back and inviting waves and waves of Italian pressure. It annoys me when a coach can stand and watch what's happening in front of him and do nothing to try change the flow of the game. Bonnucci was able to bring the ball out of defence and play it to his midfielders under no pressure from our attackers, I said before as ball was kicked we couldn't allow them to do this. Spain showed the success you could have by closing down Bonnucci and Chellini and Spain let them of them off the hook with poor finishing. I would have put Sancho and Bellingham on to add a lot more energy to the side and taking Rice off was a mistake he was doing well, and unfortunately for us one of the players of the tournament Sterling had an off night in our biggest game, no runs at the Italian defence like he did against Germany, Ukraine and Denmark against quality but slower Italian defenders and Saka made very little impact.

Overall we had a good tournament the lads did us proud but in the final, poor tactics and an inability to make changes at the right time ( when your under the cosh) and giving 2 young lads the responsibility of those penalty's that's down to Southgate and for me he got it wrong in he's biggest game as coach. 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Its disgusting and why would you give a tournament to a country were a bunch of idiots who ruin it for everyone and yet just over the water there's the Irish who lift everyone's spirits, liked and welcomed everywhere they go with their happy cheerful outlook. In a nutshell I wouldn't give us a tournament, fans from abroad come to enjoy the experience and enjoy football, not to worry whether they're going to get punched in the face. These morons are a *** disgrace I can't stand them. 

• Like 4

In a few weeks I'm sure I'll be able to look back on the fun times of this tournament... but it really hurts today 😞

Second half was like watching a car crash in slow motion. Sit back for that long and a goal will come through luck or skill. And it seems silly to overanalyse penalties sometimes... but we got it so wrong. If you told me Pickford would save two, I'd have assumed we won. Never felt confident in the two lads taking with their first kicks of the game - in fact first kicks in what, 2 games? And really feel for Saka, that's a lot to handle for a 19 year old.

Some of the videos circulating of the fans last night are horrendous - I wouldn't have wanted my partner or kids subjected to that. Entire roads carpeted in broken glass. Don't get me wrong I like a drink and have a very sore head today... but some people were so drunk they're not even acting like human beings anymore.

Crazy having the game at 8pm given the track record of this country's morons. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

In a few weeks I'm sure I'll be able to look back on the fun times of this tournament... but it really hurts today 😞

Second half was like watching a car crash in slow motion. Sit back for that long and a goal will come through luck or skill. And it seems silly to overanalyse penalties sometimes... but we got it so wrong. If you told me Pickford would save two, I'd have assumed we won. Never felt confident in the two lads taking with their first kicks of the game - in fact first kicks in what, 2 games? And really feel for Saka, that's a lot to handle for a 19 year old.

Some of the videos circulating of the fans last night are horrendous - I wouldn't have wanted my partner or kids subjected to that. Entire roads carpeted in broken glass. Don't get me wrong I like a drink and have a very sore head today... but some people were so drunk they're not even acting like human beings anymore.

Crazy having the game at 8pm given the track record of this country's morons. 

For me that 2nd have was literally like watching us under Pulis, barely trying to keep the ball and no idea what to do with it when we had it. For the whole 2nd half we played with no striker as Kane was playing in midfield.

It was awful management imo, mount was doing absolutely nothing yet stayed on while Rice probably the best england player was taken off. 
It seemed like south gates game plan was the Walker/Trippier overload down the right, once that was countered by italy we were done, might aswell have packed up and gone home.

Thats why I can’t really feel the ‘pride’, we surrendered the game weakly rather than valiantly being outplayed, running around getting stuck in is only one third of what is required and that’s essentially all we had. 

As for the hooligans it’s us in Trafalgar Square and the square in boro on a bigger scale.

• Like 1

Right enough now, it is all over including the recriminations, we simply weren’t good enough, time to get back to proper everyday football. Check list, arrange under 15,s coaching, buy paint to tart up the ticket hut, try and find a referee for the first pre season friendly. See life moves on and football with it