• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heading away with the good lady wife so wonโ€™t be back on before the final. Sincerest best wishes to the ordinary English fans on here. Hope it happens for you ๐Ÿ’ช

Congrats, friends ...ย  ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ V ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฐ @ Wembleyย  ...ย ย  Good luck to y'all!ย 

Few excellent posts regarding the final and the tournament as a whole. On the pitch Southgate got basically every decision he made spot on leading upto the final. Even the decision to go to a win

Posted Images

It's the daily mail, so take it with a huge mountain of salt, but thought this was interesting:

And now theย Daily Mailย claim some of Englandโ€™s players โ€˜were shockedโ€™ by Southgateโ€™s decision to award Saka the crucial fifth penalty in the shoot-out.

More experienced players such as Raheem Sterling, Luke Shaw and Jack Grealish didnโ€™t make the cut as they were left for possible sudden death.

Having โ€˜never previously taken a penalty at senior levelโ€™ the England players โ€˜were shocked that a teenager had been put in a position to determine the outcome of their biggest match in 55 yearsโ€™.

The list of penalty takers was decided by aย โ€˜league tableโ€™ย drawn up by England coach Steve Holland, who had been monitoring โ€˜playersโ€™ performances from the spot in training last seasonโ€™.

The report adds that if Saka had scored his penalty then he was โ€˜due to be followed by Grealish, [Jordan] Pickford and Kalvin Phillips in that order, with Sterling not due to take one until Englandโ€™s ninth penalty at the earliest.โ€™

Pickford was apparently set to be Englandโ€™s sixth penalty taker, only for Grealish to insist on taking one and therefore moving up the order from eighth to sixth.

https://www.football365.com/news/england-shocked-southgate-decision-italy-saka-grealish

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Will said:

Was there any particular age group involved? This seems to be taking a shot atย younger generations when all the footage I've seen has been of people from many different age groups.

It's taking a shot at the state of UK society in general but in particular teens, twenties and thirty somethings who have grown up with impunity and show very little respect. Local papers are full of teens and twentyย somethings with 50, 60 or more "previous" offences being let off by the courts again and again and again to where it is now a badge of honour.

It doesn't apply to all of course in those categories, like everything else in life it will be the 80/20 principle but the footage from Leicester Square and elsewhere doesn't show many zimmer frames or tartan wheeled shopping bags full of Stella.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, SmogDane said:

ย 

Disclaimer: Violent content ...ย 

This is shocking behavior ... Why do the stewards guide those people out to that beating??? How can this be possible inside the stadium?ย 

Burn in hell, scumbags (those who did this and those who did nothing to stop it)

Sad that the few baboons destroy everything for all good people ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Holy *** christ!

My only guess is the stewards had no idea there were thugs waiting outside that exit?

To be fair to the stewards, I'm pretty sure they're neither trained nor equipped to deal with situations like that. Also how many members of the public would you expect to wade into something like that and potentially get beaten up themselves?

What you need is riot police to get in there and give the *** a good kicking before locking them up.

Again I question why there wasn't a heavier police presence around Wembley and the immediate surrounding area, given that its standardย practice for league matches?

Anyone with a couple of functioning brain cells could have predicted there would be trouble, regardless whether England won or lost.

ย 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, AnglianRed said:

Holy *** christ!

My only guess is the stewards had no idea there were thugs waiting outside that exit?

To be fair to the stewards, I'm pretty sure they're neither trained nor equipped to deal with situations like that. Also how many members of the public would you expect to wade into something like that and potentially get beaten up themselves?

What you need is riot police to get in there and give the *** a good kicking before locking them up.

Again I question why there wasn't a heavier police presence around Wembley and the immediate surrounding area, given that its standardย practice for league matches?

Anyone with a couple of functioning brain cells could have predicted there would be trouble, regardless whether England won or lost.

ย 

Your thoughts are my initial thoughts, mate.

But I think someone on here figured out that this was the crowds rushing the gates to get IN to the stadium and then some vigilantes doing "street justice" while the stewards "watch"

No matter what, violence sucks big monkey cock

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Brunners said:

It's the daily mail, so take it with a huge mountain of salt, but thought this was interesting:

https://www.football365.com/news/england-shocked-southgate-decision-italy-saka-grealish

Sounds pretty chaotic if you ask me. I wonder if it occurred to Southgate it might not get to sudden death if they left 3 of the first 5 to relatively inexperienced players?

While I'm noย football manager I would think this was something you more or less let the players decide for themselves, with the manager just tweaking things for contingencies.

When you've got senior players willing to step up, you shouldn't push them to the back of the queue for something that might not (and probably won't) happen if the first 5 mess up. Southgate's right - this is definitely on him.

Another lesson I hope he learns in time for the WC - along with not sitting back and trying to defend a 1-0 lead.

ย 

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 3

When we played I think it was Stoke (?) at the Riverside a few years back there were Helicopters, Police in Riot gear, dogs galore and overall more coppers than I've seen over an entire season.

I have no idea what they were expecting but their over the top behaviour soured the day and left a very unpleasant atmosphere to the point where you were expecting something massive to kick off when in fact there wasn't anything more than a bit of friendly banter between the rival fans.

Seems strange that there can be a completely over the top reaction to a game like that and a woeful unpreparedness for a major game with global attention and coverage.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

To be fair to the stewards, I'm pretty sure they're neither trained nor equipped to deal with situations like that.

Absolutely right, the Stewards like the ones at the Boro are just ordinary people trying to earn some additional income. They will have a bit of basic training in segregation andย Fire Drills etc. but they are not trained or indeed more importantly equipped to deal with riots. They are literally one step away from an usherette in a cinema with a torch helping you to find your seat.

• Like 2

Part of me wonders whether the COVID restrictions have affected the preparation andย capabilities of security and stewarding.

Also, given the fact we were only supposed to be at two-thirds capacity, there was plenty of reason for people to think they'd have a chance of finding somewhere to watch the game from within the stadium without a ticket, wasn't there.ย The longer the drink is available before the game, the more chancers you're going to get and the more chancers, the less likely you are to stop them.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

When we played I think it was Stoke (?) at the Riverside a few years back there were Helicopters, Police in Riot gear, dogs galore and overall more coppers than I've seen over an entire season.

I have no idea what they were expecting but their over the top behaviour soured the day and left a very unpleasant atmosphere to the point where you were expecting something massive to kick off when in fact there wasn't anything more than a bit of friendly banter between the rival fans.

Seems strange that there can be a completely over the top reaction to a game like that and a woeful unpreparedness for a major game with global attention and coverage.

I went to an Iron Maiden gig at Twickenham quite a few years ago andย there was a small army of police, including horses, stationed at all the approaches to the stadium...and that was just for a concert!

There were cops in the stadium too and a couple took an overt interest in my rucksack when I left it on the steps next to my seat (rookie error on my part - should have stuffed it underneath).

As you say, police responses / preparedness do seem very odd and disproportionate for the potential threat level.

ย 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Absolutely right, the Stewards like the ones at the Boro are just ordinary people trying to earn some additional income. They will have a bit of basic training in segregation andย Fire Drills etc. but they are not trained or indeed more importantly equipped to deal with riots. They are literally one step away from an usherette in a cinema with a torch helping you to find your seat.

Essentially yeah. I'm probably not the only one but I used to be a steward and you get a bunch of training before you startย and because the recruitment drive is usually pre-season, most teams get the benefit of at least one home game before starting proper. The training is fire drills, first aid, etc.

Given the amount of time it's been since stewarding was necessary at this level, there's an argument to be made for potential inexperience too. I don't know about Wembley especially for big games like this, perhaps you'd expect it to be different there...ย but at Pride Park, it was very much a come-and-go kind of role as you say, for the extra couple of quid every month. Turn up when you want but miss 3 games in a row and you're off the payroll permanently for 90% of stewards.

And it was always made clear to us that for significant issues, such as occasions like we've seen here, that's what the police are there for, not us. Higher category matches would come with higher numbers of policing to better manage those kinds of situations should they occur.

• Like 2

Kyle Walker, Harry Maguire & Raheem Sterling make team of the tournament.

Full team is:

Donnarumma

Walker, Maguire, Bonucci, Spinazzola

Jorginho, Hojbjerg, Pedri

Chiesa, Lukaku, Sterling

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I'd have had Pickford over Donnarumma, but fair enough bar that.

Donnarumma won his team the penalty shootouts in both the semi final and final - he was top notch throughout the rest of the tournament in open play too, no mistakes to speak of. He won the overall player of the tournament - the first gk to do so I believe. There's no way in any world that pickford gets in ahead of him.ย 

I think the team is about right, though I'd put Pedri in for hojberg I think.ย