• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heading away with the good lady wife so won’t be back on before the final. Sincerest best wishes to the ordinary English fans on here. Hope it happens for you 💪

Congrats, friends ...  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇩🇰 @ Wembley  ...   Good luck to y'all! 

Few excellent posts regarding the final and the tournament as a whole. On the pitch Southgate got basically every decision he made spot on leading upto the final. Even the decision to go to a win

Posted Images

I think I mentioned it earlier but I think the two-thirds capacity has a big deal to play in this. More chancers knowing they'll get seats, more stewards willing to take bribes because they aren't gonna create another horrendous overcrowding event by allowing it.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

The absolute rank hypocrisy of both Boris and Priti Patel about racism is absolutely stunning.

Stoke the racism fire and then surprise pikachu face when racism happens.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Stoke the racism fire and then surprise pikachu face when racism happens.

I mean Boris has been proven to be a massive racist and homophobe already, Patel is the one who stoked the fire by defending people booing England players taking the knee.

3 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I mean Boris has been proven to be a massive racist and homophobe already, Patel is the one who stoked the fire by defending people booing England players taking the knee.

Yeah, Boris did publicly back her stance on that though IIRC. The taking the knee = marxist BLM is so frustrating too, my dad hates taking the knee because of marxism and I can't get through to him and it's so frustrating.

3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Yeah, Boris did publicly back her stance on that though IIRC. The taking the knee = marxist BLM is so frustrating too, my dad hates taking the knee because of marxism and I can't get through to him and it's so frustrating.

Boris just said he'd prefer to hear people cheering for England rather than booing, a bit of a wishy-washy thing to say but he absolutely has previous for outright racist/homophobic comments, especially when he was MoL.

Yeah the whole knee taking = BLM = Marxism = Terrorism is really sad and played out, especially when it's done by otherwise intelligent people.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Well, thats why there is confusion and divided opinions on the whole issue. Taking the knee can mean different things to different people.

I agree in the case of footballers they are simply taking a stand against the abuse they receive (or showing solidarity with team mates), but obviously thats not the case for everyone.

Some people can make a clear distinction, but not everyone can. Different people...different perceptions. Also not helped by the myriad sources of (mis)information muddying the waters even further.

Again, this is why I didn't like the way the UK adopted the BLM movement, taking the knee etc. because we have quite a different history to the US and root causes for the rise of racism. Different social & political structures too.

I don't even like the name as it assumes only black people suffer racism.

I feel if we'd bothered to create a movement that was more focused on UK-specific issues, there would be less confusion and division. 

I mean its great to show support for George Floyd and all the other victims of US police brutality, but we need something that highlights our own problems.

Oh and as for Boris publicly backing Priti Patel over her comments, thats pretty standard. PMs generally defend senior Cabinet members in public, unless they've done something absolutely horrendous...or they've been looking for an excuse to ditch them.

Personally I was surprised by her comments, especially coming from someone who's had to deal with racism themselves. But like Brunners' dad, maybe she just has trouble separating racial abuse of footballers from the movement the gesture sprang from. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Well, thats why there is confusion and divided opinions on the whole issue. Taking the knee can mean different things to different people.

I agree in the case of footballers they are simply taking a stand against the abuse they receive (or showing solidarity with team mates), but obviously thats not the case for everyone.

Some people can make a clear distinction, but not everyone can. Different people...different perceptions. Also not helped by the myriad sources of (mis)information muddying the waters even further.

Again, this is why I didn't like the way the UK adopted the BLM movement, taking the knee etc. because we have quite a different history to the US and root causes for the rise of racism. Different social & political structures too.

I feel if we'd bothered to create a movement that was more focused on UK-specific issues, there would be less confusion and division. 

I mean its great to show support for George Floyd and all the other victims of US police brutality, but we need something that highlights our own problems.

Problem is taking the knee existed far before the BLM movement adopted it and people don't seem to want to accept that now.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Oh and as for Boris publicly backing Priti Patel over her comments, thats pretty standard. PMs generally defend senior Cabinet members in public, unless they've done something absolutely horrendous...or they've been looking for an excuse to ditch them.

Personally I was surprised by her comments, especially coming from someone who's had to deal with racism themselves. But like Brunners' dad, maybe she just has trouble separating racial abuse of footballers from the movement the gesture sprang from. 🤷‍♂️

1. The FA specifically said why England players were choosing to take the knee so honestly, anyone still booing after they put their statement out is just a racist piece of ***, frankly.

2. I hope you're not trying to insinuate racism against white people is a thing that needs focusing on because....uhhh, no, just no.

3. Again, England players aren't taking the knee for George Floyd. How difficult is that to grasp?

6 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Problem is taking the knee existed far before the BLM movement adopted it and people don't seem to want to accept that now.

Very true - but a lot of people probably genuinely don't know that.

Again, a mixture of ignorance (or at least not knowing about the US civil rights movement) and misinformation can be a dangerous thing.

Its really sad that its devolved into this situation. I mean racists are always going to hate, regardless, but it'd be nice to think some people could be made to re-think their views with some clear explanations...starting with some of our senior government members.

13 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

1. The FA specifically said why England players were choosing to take the knee so honestly, anyone still booing after they put their statement out is just a racist piece of ***, frankly.

2. I hope you're not trying to insinuate racism against white people is a thing that needs focusing on because....uhhh, no, just no.

3. Again, England players aren't taking the knee for George Floyd. How difficult is that to grasp?

1. Like I said - racists are gonna hate, regardless.

2. When did I mention racism against white people? There are people of other colours besides black (myself being one of them). 🤦‍♂️

3. You could try asking Brunners' dad 😉 As I said in my earlier post, its crystal clear for some, but not everyone. Don't ask me why. Different people, different perceptions, plus lots of conflicting messages / news sources etc. 🤷‍♂️

Thats why the world is the way it is...because people have different views about stuff.