oneBoro Forum

EURO FINAL ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ V ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น

56 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Get through a group with Tunisia and Panama, then sneak past Columbia by penalties and then Sweden? While also getting beat twice by Belgium and knocked out by Croatia?

Come on man. There's no way you believe what you just said. It would take an incredibly poor manager to not do what England did at the world cup with the squad they haveย 

Remember 2010 when we drew with USA, got beat by Slovenia, got a goalless draw with Algeria and thumped by Germany?

Or 2014 when we drew with Costa Rica, lost to Uruguay and Italy?

What Wilson (and myself) are saying is that we have performed far worse at tournaments with far more experienced and successful managers, with squads equally or even more lauded than the one we have now.

Again, I draw your attention to the fact that 2018 was the first time we reached the semi-final of any tournament for 25 years. The quality of opposition our teams have faced has always been variable.

I mean when was the last time England got put in a "Group of Death" where we all thought England would be lucky to progress at all?

ย 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heading away with the good lady wife so wonโ€™t be back on before the final. Sincerest best wishes to the ordinary English fans on here. Hope it happens for you ๐Ÿ’ช

Congrats, friends ...ย  ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ V ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฐ @ Wembleyย  ...ย ย  Good luck to y'all!ย 

Few excellent posts regarding the final and the tournament as a whole. On the pitch Southgate got basically every decision he made spot on leading upto the final. Even the decision to go to a win

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I think you're massively over estimating the difficulty of what he accomplished. All those teams are way below England in the world rankings and it frankly would have been a massive shock if England had of lost to any of them. He did what was expected up until the semi (which he probably should have won given the two squads), nothing more.ย 

I think you're overestimating the quality of the squad we had for that tournament. Some of those players we took to the tournament, Pickford, Stones, Maguire and Trippier to say the least, they really made their name there. It was the lowest average cap number in over 50 years. Pickford hadn't even played in a competitive game for England before that tournament!

Expectation going into that tournament was pretty much rock bottom as far as England goes. Hodgson had a bloody awful tournament record in the few years prior which certainly didn't help but it was meant to be some kind of transition to something, it wasn't a tournament where we were expecting to do anything.

It's also very unfair to look at that Colombia game and think it was a foregone conclusion. Sweden is one thing, Colombia were a significantly more difficult challenge to overcome.ย And you could also go ahead and say a penalty shoot-out is a lottery but under the management of someone who knows all too well how much disappointment England have faced in those positions, weย finallyย managed to overcome something that had been hanging over us for every tournament I can remember. Having conceded in the last minute of normal time, too. Another England squad could have rolled over in that position.

I don't know how you've managed to put that Croatia team from 2018 below that England team, either, in terms of quality.

• Like 2

image.png.86ec5796cc0cb39e18f18a397af0579d.png

Would like us to play that tonight, thought Foden was a bit wasted out wide vs Croatia and while it's harsh on Mount that left side would virtually unplayable especially for the likes of Scotland

ย 

3 minutes ago, Uwe said:

image.thumb.png.8bfa2e0fc75d7b85660b633682818db6.png
ย 

strangeย place to wear your mask ๐Ÿ˜ทย 

Police are just advising him that "Birthday Suit" is not acceptable dress code south of the border.

Funny lot, the Jocks.ย ๐Ÿ˜‚

ย 

1 hour ago, LBP said:

image.png.86ec5796cc0cb39e18f18a397af0579d.png

Would like us to play that tonight, thought Foden was a bit wasted out wide vs Croatia and while it's harsh on Mount that left side would virtually unplayable especially for the likes of Scotland

ย 

I don't see Mount getting dropped, doesn't waste much when he's on the ball.

2 hours ago, Brunners said:

I don't condemn you man, jesus christ I wish people would stop with this victim complex.ย 

Your posts are often overly negative, whether you want to phrase it that way or not. That is all, you are welcome to be negative if that's how you feel and I hope you continue posting true to yourself, but you are negative, a lot. That's just the truth of it.

There you go again tagging people. It does you noย good, just lightenย up.ย 

If you have something to comment on people why donโ€™t you address them directly or is it your way to fit in..ย 

inept =ย having or showing no skill; clumsy. ย 

Negitive =ย It's a pessimistic attitude that always expects the worstโ€ฆย 

Stating inept Iโ€™d hardly being negative.ย 

ย 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

England has had managers with plenty more experience than Southgate with just as much talent available at different times, in certain areas of the pitch you're talking about players who the current crop will struggle to ever touch individually,ย and every one of those managers has faltered.

I don't for one second think that Sven, Capello orย Hodgson would have achieved what Southgate did in the last World Cup and yet these are 3 very experienced coaches we've had in the role.

Others can talk about qualification but honestly, the quality of the groups means success is always tainted to me as there's no way we should ever drop points against Kosovo, Bulgaria or Montenegro. Not qualifying, hell not winning the groups we get put in for qualifying for any tournamentย with our squad has pretty much always been something worth looking down upon.

What matters is what happens when we get to the tournament. Especially in the knockouts, no matter who you play, every game is going to be a challenge. And we got to the semi-final with this inexperienced, inept bloke in charge.

When usingย could or should itโ€™s subjective of ones own bias opinion.
I think you make a reasonableย argument and possibly my expectations couldย be better managed but I think we all have a common goal in wantingย England to do well.ย 

5 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

The same inept GS who got us to the World Cup Semis in 2018, had a virtually flawless Euro qualifying record and who ignored the media and popular supporter opinions so that he could set up his team in order to beat Croatia last week?

Christ, you're a moron.

I would expectย nothing less from you so,ย take no offense.ย 

I wouldn't say Southgate is inept, but as a club manager, he was unquestionably a failure. He took us from being European tournament finalists to the Championship in three seasons. He was sacked. And that was it. Hardly a stellar pedigree. I know we were cost-cutting towards the end of his tenure, signing the likes of Didier Digard, but I would still have expected more given the quality still at the club.

We also had a ridiculously easy fixture schedule in the 2018 World Cup, but I accept you can only beat the teams you're drawn against. Ultimately, Southgate will be judged on games like today's, and how he sets England up against a top team like France or Italy if we progress.

• Like 1
  • Uwe changed the title to EURO FINAL ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ V ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น