oneBoro Forum

EURO FINAL 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇮🇹

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heading away with the good lady wife so won’t be back on before the final. Sincerest best wishes to the ordinary English fans on here. Hope it happens for you 💪

I think for me it's partly about the connection to the area too. I don't hold much connection to the entirety of England but I love coming from Middlesbrough, I've lived and worked in a few places aro

Congrats, friends ...  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇩🇰 @ Wembley  ...   Good luck to y'all! 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, mendieta420 said:

The world was about to go into recession and Gibbo had the divorce that cost him 50mil

True, but you'd think that with what he was saving in the transfer market, he'd be a little smarter about who he appointed as manager, or at least get some competent back-up for a rookie manager facing a tough challenge.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, AnglianRed said:

True, but you'd think that with what he was saving in the transfer market, he'd be a little smarter about who he appointed as manager, or at least get some competent back-up for a rookie manager facing a tough challenge.

I remember Martin O'Neill at the time was heavily linked with the job. I can't remember the full story but something broke down and Southgate was kind of our fall-back from that.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

I remember Martin O'Neill at the time was heavily linked with the job. I can't remember the full story but something broke down and Southgate was kind of our fall-back from that.

Felix magath was the other name linked wasn't he?

1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

Did he not have Malcolm Crosby as his experienced sidekick? Or am I remembering that wrong?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

The strong rumour was that O'Neill wanted to bring his own coaching staff in and this didn't sit well with Gibson and his entourage, which considering our jobs for the boys mentality wouldn't surprise me one bit.

7 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

Felix magath was the other name linked wasn't he?

I forgot that name altogether but this is from Vickers a few years ago. According to this, the Bayern manager wasn't just linked, he applied and his application was binned.

image.png.61afbf93172c2efdc2bccbe0b7adc565.png

And here's one of his 'Untypical Boro' articles to expand on that:

https://untypicalboro.wordpress.com/2013/04/24/mittleburg-am-r/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

There was an astonishing story in the Guardian about why Magath bombed at Fulham, shortly after he left. It sounds like we dodged a bullet by not appointing him.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/sep/20/fulham-farewell-magath-felix-madcap

That said, it's extremely narrow-minded and parochial to dismiss a German manager because he'd supposedly turn the town of Middlesbrough into an enclave of ze Faterland. Wonder what changed in the run-up to Aitor's arrival?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RiseAgainst said:

There was an astonishing story in the Guardian about why Magath bombed at Fulham, shortly after he left. It sounds like we dodged a bullet by not appointing him.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/sep/20/fulham-farewell-magath-felix-madcap

That said, it's extremely narrow-minded and parochial to dismiss a German manager because he'd supposedly turn the town of Middlesbrough into an enclave of ze Faterland. Wonder what changed in the run-up to Aitor's arrival?

Kind of ironic that Boro then ended up in a similar situation with Karanka...though I'm guessing he was nowhere near as bad as Magath.

1 hour ago, RiseAgainst said:

Peter Kenyon and Jorge Mendes

9 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Given we've now qualified before a ball has been kicked, there's no excuse not to go all out for the win and try and regain momentum.

Exactly, I hope the team go out and play with a bit of positive intent. 

Win well and play well and it'll get everyone excited again. 

• Uwe changed the title to EURO FINAL 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇮🇹